Hereditary Druid

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Re: Hereditary Druid

Postby Sciethe » 14 Jun 2014, 18:14

i will enjoy this time and seek out connections from which i can grow from.
Excellent news. So many people would give a great deal for such a connection, I hope it is a very fruitful time for you.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 06 Jan 2015, 18:56

i am surprised at how many hits this posting has received, yet not one comment from another hereditary druid. are we that rare? i watch television shows about druidry and their practices and see that there are definitely differences between myself and them. it makes me feel ever more alone when i see this. i share your desire for peace, in my life and the world. i share your love and respect of nature. i suppose i share some Christian beliefs that others do, but have yet to meet one. i do not celebrate the changing seasons, though i love spring, and love even more the summer. fall is a beautiful time of year but it harbours the first signs of winter chill, and here in canada the winters are beyond chilly. thank you for all the interest in my posts. I have come a long way in my knowledge of druidry and myself since the first of my writings and i thank all those who have educated me.

jim

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 07 Jan 2015, 05:05

I would suggest that any claim to a hereditary link to Druidry will, and should be, taken with a grain of salt and in keeping with the nature of free inquiry we would be inclined to ask about validations. I do not doubt your gift however what is to say it’s not gifted through a line of cunning folk or witches as opposed to Druids. Just how, should the need arise, would you go about validating your claim of being a hereditary Druid?
Usually when we see someone sincerely claim a hereditary line of druidry identified by a relative the claim is based on membership in one of the different druid fraternal organizations. There has not (to my knowledge) been a single validated claim of hereditary Druidry. I am however, more than willing to encounter the first. A R1b1xx Y chromosome line might be a good start in establishing the genetic possibility of such a thing. Obviously if you claim hereditary lineage, you must have some proof of some sort.
None of this is to discredit or lessen your claim but at the same time we would be remiss if we did not make some attempt to validate your claim and in doing so, be in a better position to support you.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 07 Jan 2015, 06:27

my dear Art. i don't really know what you are talking about with the genetic marker stuff. does this mean you think there is just one lineage for all hereditary druids. why in the world would i want to join one of your 'fraternal orders'. witches? i met a white witch many years ago in a drinking establishment but beyond this know nothing of witches. if you want to interview me or interrogate me by all means come to thunder bay, canada and do so. i would enjoy the company. how would i prove such a thing. my grandmother is a long time dead now. my cousin, mark, is too a hereditary druid, but a lost one. so i guess my only possibility to your question is "I Am". i have always been a druid but did not know so until i was in my late teens when i shapeshifted in front of two friends and scared the hell out of them. i am a crowman. my grandmother never got to show me how, but it happens, or has happened over the years. when i was five or so and staying with her in the summer she sat me on the grass and showed me her crow--i do not know the mechanics of such a thing, only that it has and does happen. i have a bookful of such druid stories, but i will not share them with people because they would think me mad. just using the label hereditary druid has upset you and a few others. what would you think if i told you more of my story. just as an aside--in my late twenties i entered university and studied english and psychology. i was looking for the truth within the disciplines. at the same time i read hundreds of books, mostly existential stuff like Hesse and Nietzsche. And i wrote like my mind was on fire, poetry that was laced with philosophy. So it seems i have been on my own path, my own training. it has all led me to where i am today. and i am pleased. so sad to hear you are not.

jim
druidinthemist

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 09 Jan 2015, 06:07

Sorry I'm so tardy getting back to you. Actually I am quite pleased however I'm afraid you completely misread or had difficulty comprehending my last correspondence. You do make it clear that your claim of hereditary druidry is somewhat spurious. Please do however continue on your journey as it pleases you.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jan 2015, 08:16

art:

i find your word 'spurious' rather interesting. not that i really care, but how would one convince you of a hereditary claim? What qualities would you be looking for? As you said you have discounted all prior claims. on what grounds? i find it an interesting thing in life that one finds it necessary to join groups and be one of the 'fold' to be acknowledged. is this what troubles you? membership? one of the most valuable qualities about being both a hereditary druid, and a hedge druid, is that you get a view from the outside looking in, as opposed to inside looking out. you see how treacherous group-think is. you gain an understanding of how dangerous and trouble-provoking people can be. for example, the greatest visionaries in our history were and are loners. hereditary druids, by our nature, and no i do not know how many there are, are loners. my grandmother was very protective of her space, as my cousin was, as i am. i was dragged out of the 'closet' or i would have lived my life with complete anonymity. just another eccentric with strange habits and beliefs. i am disappointed by your closed-mindedness, and hope you have taken your druidic 'training' with more energy, inclusion, and seriousness than you have shown me. there are hypocrits in every shape and size, and have found many 'cloaked' in druidism.

jim

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 09 Jan 2015, 11:01

@druidinthemist

There are indeed many paths that are called "druid" by those who walk them. The forum you are posting on is that of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, which is but one of the many druidic paths. The OBOD view of druidry is in some ways specific (reverence for nature, following the 8-fold wheel of the year, an active intention towards peace for all living things) and but in others very general (we have christians, agnostics, atheists, shamans, wiccans, buddhists and others following the OBOD teachings). What you have posted of your druidic practices and beliefs is not a good match for the basics of the OBOD framework - OBODies tend to value dedication, questioning knowledge, and working through the experiential teachings of the grades; whereas you value the hereditary nature of your druidry which you acknowledge leaves you with little specific knowledge at this time and no intention of working through the OBOD grades to gain the knowledge and experiences therein.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, but the basic difference may explain why you are greeted with scepticism on these boards. No-one's saying you *aren't* following a druid path, but I think many responses (including mine) are saying you're not following the OBOD path. Since this is an OBOD forum, I'm sure you can understand why that apparent conflict might arise.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 09 Jan 2015, 12:04

but how would one convince you of a hereditary claim?
It is a good point - I suspect druidinthemist the issue is one to do with the history of hereditary druids. Here's some of the history you may be unaware of...

When respected historians have investigated and searched for true hereditary druids and not been able to prove it, via discussions with those hereditary druids and tracing the heritage backwards, then modern Druids have foundation in their concerns around hereditary Druids claims.
Several, self proclaimed hereditary, druids have appeared on various Druid boards/forums over the years and then in a my-way-is-the-one-true-way gone onto criticize Druids on those forums.

The issue is around proving a continuous spirituality from the medieval period i.e. when the last druids were historically known about through the later medieval, renaissance and onto the modern period.
Given that the Christian church at various periods has been quite orthodox and keen to ensure the eradication of heretics it is doubtful whether a continuous Druidic spirituality could survive.
Some hereditary Druids have been found to have learned their Druidry from one of the modern, aka Meso, Druidic groups which eventually gave rise to OBOD. These Meso-Druidic groups formed in the 18th/19th Century but their members were still part of mainstream Christianity. Within my family my grandfather was a Cornish Bard, a Cornish version of the Meso Druidic groups, but also a Christian. So I grew up being told the Cornish myths & legends as we traveled around the county at the appropriate place, a verbal history of the land if you like. I was also brought up with that Celtic worldview that we are just caretakers for the land. These factors may have led me to choosing the Druidic path. I cannot claim to be a hereditary Druid though.

Of course the trouble with any verbally communicated history is defining that proof. For example who taught your grandmother? Who taught your grandmother's teacher? Is your tradition Welsh or Irish?

On the other hand you have valuable insights as a hedge druid, taught by your grandmother, as Xidia says
No-one's saying you *aren't* following a druid path
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jan 2015, 12:44

thank you for sharing your story. the problem with your definition of proof is in your attempt to uncover the lineage. how many of us fortunate ones have known their grandparents, and perhaps great-grandparents for a brief time. my family is not traceable beyond my grandmother. she was irish we know that. she was born however in Saskatchewan in a small town. she was one twin of two, the other did not survive birth. her father was kicked in the head by a horse and was killed when she was a little girl. this left her with her mother in the early 1920s. in those days to be alone in the world with a child--a single mother--with no income was a death sentence. my grandmother was farmed out to families as a cook and cleaner as a child. the Lord only knows what experiences she had with the wealthier families as she entered her teenage years. nothing is known of her mother beyond that. my grandmother did not speak of her youth beyond this. Probably for good reason. If she was a druid, and my cousin is adruid and myself is a druid, we have indeed a nest of crows. and none of us learned a stitch from any druid group. we learned it from our grandmother, some of it, and the rest we learned on our own as the experiences came to us. hereditary druid does not mean granny called herself a druid, and uncle ralph called himself a druid, and now i call my self a druid. it goes far deeper than that. it is a lifetime of awakenings, stages if you will, and gifts that come with these stages. i would recieve a lesson by life and it would lead me to seek an understanding of this experience, which eventually led me after fifty years to try to make contact with other druids. when i heard there were this many druids in the world i was excited. then in reading and conversation i realized little was held in common. we, hereditary druids are not like you, although we share some beliefs. when i speak of hereditary druids i speak ofmy grandmother, cousin and i. i have never written with another like us so i cannot say with any certainty that there are others of our kind.

I met a local druid through a fortune teller. we met for a coffee. i was excited. then he began telling me that there were no hereditary druids, and that there were no real female druids. i thought this a load of rubbish, and began telling him of my experiences. he became so upset and frightened that he bolted from the coffee shop. when i got outside i saw his vehicle race around the corner almost on two wheels and never heard from him again. i have not had good interactions with druids--this is why i keep to myself for the most part. the only real person in my life is my wife--it is a safe way of existing.

peace, jim

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jan 2015, 13:37

darc:

another point is that i do not attack people. but neither will i bow to a person's arrogance. if attacked i will defend myself. as i have stated in a past posting, don't blame the victim, whether the abuser is a part of your druidic group or not.

i have come to this group to share my experiences and see if others could relate. i have found they cannot. if i have come out as a my-way-or-the-highway sort of person it is not my doing, but rather the defensiveness of a few i have met here.

i do not speak of hereditary druids coming down the line carrying a druidic spirituality. i don't know what a druidic spirituality is. i am speaking of a lineage of Druids. People with gifts, real tangible gifts, not spiritual practices. i will give you an example and take it for what it is.

i knew early on in life that something was wrong with people. i went through a process of intense study to find out the truth. and i found it. i purified my mind in the process--erasing all the world-clutter nonsense. with pure mind you can sense when something is not right, when something from the outside is playing with your mind. i identified this as evil--tormenting visions and thoughts would pop out of no where. i was not afraid, but i wanted it to stop. one night i climbed out of bed and put on my bathrobe and went out to the backyard. it was autumn. i walked out to my power spot--a small area in the backyard that i learned of instinctively and would go there when my batteries were draining and it would recharge me. i was safe there, and only there. that night i stood in the darkness with arms outstretched and challenged evil. i dropped my robe and stepped off my power spot. a long while later i regained consciousness (awareness?) face down on the cold wet ground naked. i got up and could feel a heavy redness in my eyes. my wife and brother were standing in the carport as i entered. i looked down and away, i knew better than to look at them or make eye contact. i went back to bed. my wife told me the next day that she was watching out the window and it looked like i was doing gymnastics around the backyard. she had no idea what went on and i had no memory of it. the visions stopped, as did the taunting. i was reborn through this one of many experiences, stronger, closer to the Druid. this goes beyond a spiritual experience, this is a Spiritual Happening. I learned much later, as was the truth in most of my experiencess, after doing some research that Celtic warriors would go to battle naked to frighten the other army. i did not destroy evil, i showed it i wouldn't be intimidated from the course of my life and development. And it is one of my tamer stories. make of it what you will.

jim

hereditarydruidinthemist

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Jan 2015, 15:31

Just being curious here, but did your grandmother offer you any sort of training or initiation into druidry? or do you think that she passed on her druidic skills by inheritance? - In other words, did you just inherit her abilities?

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jan 2015, 15:51

hi heddwin, thank you for the interest and politeness of your post--i appreciate it.

that is an interesting thing. my grandmother never told me that i was a druid--not that i remember anyways. my cousin was older and knows more than i about her abilities and stuff. she just gave me lessons. for instance one night she told me that my father and uncles had to cut down trees to support their families, but that i should never cut down a tree. she told me to never hurt or throw rocks at a crow. she told me to always be good, that that was important (i might have fallen short on that one, haha). she walked me through her country property and showed me what i could eat, and said that i should never eat mushrooms (i do eat the store bought kind). she taught me about prayer and forgiveness.

there might be more but i cannot remember right now. many of these lessons came to me in my teens and early twenties--she buried these memories deep. we can do this.

thanks for asking,

jim

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jan 2015, 16:06

heddwin,

i forgot to mention something else she did. this is kind of funny. you must remember that i was five or six when it happened. one day she asked me to sit by her on the grass. she asked me if i wanted to see something. and then said that she was going to show me something. she did some movements with her face i remember, then coughed up. her head turned into the head of a bird. i asked her if she was an eagle. she said no that she was a crow. i remember not being impressed by this in the least. i wanted her to be an eagle not a stupid crow. i walked away to play in the sand. as if this was some ordinary happening in a boy's life. this is the kind of person i have always been. i accept what happens and move on. i have several times shapeshifted, but unlike her i don't know how to do it, it just happens sometimes. some people can see me and others cannot. i have startled quite a few people if you can imagine.

thanks, again

jim

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 09 Jan 2015, 16:10

For what it is worth, I spent a number of years attempting to track down “The Last Druid in Ireland”. In doing so, I used a criminal forensic model to link together all “last sightings”, visited most of the recorded sites (well over a hundred of them) and applied phenomenological techniques whilst at them, I delved into both folklore and ancient tomes (with the assistance of experts in “Old Irish” language – script and oral), read much of the available literature (academic and popular), and spoke to dozens of experts of every description (conventional, esoteric and local informants). Every fragment and gleaning was collated together in a geographic timeline. The most viable locations were visited repeatedly, armed with cartography, formal archaeological reports, mythical references, dowsing equipment etc. Sadly the laptop (with back-up card) was nicked and I only have assorted fragments left on emails etc. to go by.

The long-and-short of this, was that the last “possible sighting” was around a thousand years ago.

Assorted possible “lineages” still exist through families associated with bardic / legal / medical / religious / “other reputational” heritages.
Logically, there are descendants of Druids about today. If we had DNA samples from a confirmed “last Druid”, we would undoubtedly be able to track down their current-day progeny. Interesting experiments in this regard were carried out in a national experiment called “The Blood of the Irish”. Some 3 million Irish folk can be traced to Niall of the Nine Hostages through the Y-DNA pattern of the M222 sub-clade.

So, yup, its probable that there are millions of “people of Druid bloodline” in the world today.

But a genetic linkage is not the same as a cultural heritage. And even less so of an “expertise heritage”. “Gifts” / “Powers” / “The Sight” may well have been passed down through the years. Plenty of people have attributions of being “Fey”, having “Sixth Sense”, are prescient, have healing abilities, are adept in unusual skills, or are a “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”.

I’m familiar with cultures where “Magical Professions” still ply their recognised trade. But even those people who are “visited” by special attributes need to undergo rigorous training / initiation before being recognised as practitioners. In this regard druidinthemist may find it interesting to research the concept of “Thwasa” to make sense of their experiences.

So establishing a nexus between current day Druids and “real Druids of Old” will always be problematic. By my (albeit, amateur) reckoning there is about a 700 year gap in “Druid heritage” followed by some 300 years of Druid “reconstruction”.

A final comment. I note the use of the word “Groupthink” in threads above. WHAAA HA HA – that is the LAST thing OBOD needs to worry about!!! This fractious bunch of Druidy types absolutely thrive on diversity, scepticism and contention! And long may that last at this sad time of spiritual thought control. Keep on posting, druidinthemist. You may be challenged, but you can do whatever feels right for you. :wink:

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Jan 2015, 17:42

Thank you, druidinthemist for your interesting reply. Your grandmother sounds like an awesome woman, I would loved to have met her :) She certainly did have some interesting abilities there. I guess in olden times she would have been 'named' as a cunning/wise woman as well as a druid. My great aunt was trained in magic by a local hermit - a cunning man. I have inherited some of her abilities/skills too and I incorporate them in my druidry.

Expanding on Dathis post above I would like to say that it seems to have come to a point in the discussion where we revert back to that oft discussed point. .".What is druidry?" As this question pops up here from time to time, the only conclusion that we appear to have come to is that there are about a million answers to this question. Ask 5 druids and you will get 10 answers! Its such a subjective thing and it is different for each and every one of us. To my mind every type of druid is equal and valid in its own way, trained or hereditry and this is the way it should be....in an ideal world :grin:

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 10 Jan 2015, 12:48

Dathi,

absolutely fascinating post. it amazes me with so much magic in the world, and mystery, that our empirically-minded western culture has none of it. I have known magic in my own life, and have seen the reactions of people at any hinting of any of it. it is sad really. little pockets of magic scattered around our world. thanks for the education. wouldn't it be nice to have that dna. not that it would help much in a way. i think you can be a hereditary druid and never know it. you need a triggering person or event (s) to wake you up to the new vision.

jim

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 10 Jan 2015, 12:57

Dathi,

i forgot to comment on the 'group think' statement. people get put their minds together and accomplish good and wonderful things--change. they can also come together in support of each other's ignorance--arrogance loves to support arrogance. i was referring to the latter.

jim

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 10 Jan 2015, 14:58

Yes I like Dathi's post too. There is another perspective on the word hereditary as well, and that is a more immediate one. I got it from my father, so I claim a hereditary Druidism that is of value to me; and though it nice it's obviously pretty normal and nothing to especially boast or make a big deal of. I think that passing down the family way and the family talents is the best that can be called "hereditary" in any realistic way, and that is what you, druidinthemist are recipient of, in a particularly potent way.

Considering claims that go further back; I'm married to one of the UK's most accomplished and well-respected genealogists, she is nick-named by a senior Herald "Malleus Mendacium" (Hammer of Falsehood). So I can say with some certainty, having asked her, that the possibility of proving descent from a known Druid of ancient times is impossible, or as near impossible as to be practically impossible. Such claims are ALMOST inevitably falsehood in a documentary sense. Our beliefs pathworkings and inner knowings are of course another matter entirely. :where:
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 10 Jan 2015, 15:54

i see hereditary as meaning a genetic predisposition. as opposed to an interest that is passed down, like a love of fishing.

jim

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 10 Jan 2015, 16:08

i see hereditary as meaning a genetic predisposition. as opposed to an interest that is passed down, like a love of fishing.

jim
Yup, that's what I mean by the family talents. Advice on how to handle them might be part of that too though. I'm lucky and got both, as well as some extremely funny stuff about The Great Wombat. I'd never be without it, wisdom for our time in a brilliantly explanatory and joyfully funny form to go with the serious stuff and the genetics.
:D
S

Return to “The Common Quest”