Christian druidry?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Robert_Gollwitzer

Christian druidry?

Postby Robert_Gollwitzer » 18 Sep 2014, 19:12

Christian druidry - what the heck is that supposed to be? I can almost see both my Christian and my druid brothers and sisters frowning in disbelief.

Isn't druidry all about witchcraft, the occult, reincarnation, esoteric practices, talking with the dead, believing in many gods and so on? In short: satanism? Aren't druids just sects?

Well, I am a believing and professing Christian and I condemn all of the above. And yet - druidry is way more than that and offers doors that might be shut for others. It can nourish my Christian faith even more through its deep love for and bond with the nature, through its spirituality (Christians might call that contemplation), through its simple life and also through its devotion to simple, selfless, loving and sharing community life (which does not mean that druids always live in communities, but they sure love to meet with others and share their love for the nature, for one another and for something higher than ourselves - God).

How come we call those whom we do not understand "sects"? Wasn't Christianity nothing more than a "sect" in its beginning? I am mature in my Christian faith and I am neither joining a sect nor practicing anything occult.

You even found traces of that in Christian history: take Saint Francis for example. We all still love him, especially for his love for the nature and for the animals, his selfless care for the poor and needy and his simple and down-to-earth life. Druids do no less.

How about we all go away from our tunnel vision and open our horizon to admire God's creation and creatures in a much deeper and closer way than ever before?

Pax et bonum (peace and good things - the Franciscan greeting)

Robert
http://www.breath-of-life.org

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Re: Christian druidry?

Postby Michael C. Page » 19 Sep 2014, 01:44

Hello Robert,

This link will help you answer some of those questions: http://www.druidry.org/druid-way/other- ... ty-druidry

Cheers,
Michael :tiphat:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 19 Sep 2014, 03:18

Robert,

Condemnation of other peoples beliefs will not get you very far with many Druids I suspect. I respect your right to your faith and would hope you would extend the same to others. There are Christain Druids, Hindu Druids, Zen Druids, Pagan Druids plus any number of others. All of us find value in Druidry, but condemning anyone for their beliefs is narrow minded at best.

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 19 Sep 2014, 10:38

And yet - druidry is way more than that and offers doors that might be shut for others. It can nourish my Christian faith even more through its deep love for and bond with the nature, through its spirituality (Christians might call that contemplation), through its simple life and also through its devotion to simple, selfless, loving and sharing community life (which does not mean that druids always live in communities, but they sure love to meet with others and share their love for the nature, for one another and for something higher than ourselves - God).
Sounds very druidic to me!

There is a subforum here for Christian Druids: viewforum.php?f=127
Though you need to ask permission to get access.

You can see who to ask here: viewforum.php?f=227
Condemnation of other peoples beliefs will not get you very far with many Druids I suspect.
You're right; there is a funny thinking that happens when you criticise/condemn beliefs and practices; believer and practitioners tend to get offended (years spent on forums has taught me to keep to my own beliefs and avoid making comments on others' beliefs/practices, or do it in the most generalised terms).

However, I believe Robert was condemning beliefs and practices: " witchcraft, the occult, reincarnation, esoteric practices, talking with the dead, believing in many gods"
Not believers and practitioners: "witches, occultists, believers in reincarnation, esotericists, spiritualists, polytheists."

That's a world of difference to me, and nothing to get offended about IMO. :old:
All of us find value in Druidry, but condemning anyone for their beliefs is narrow minded at best.
Are you condemning Robert's belief in condemning the above mentioned beliefs/practices? :innocent: :wink:

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 19 Sep 2014, 10:58

Good point Treegod :whistle: Is condemning a condemnation condemning?

To your point though, if I say that I condemn belief in one god, resurection of the body, original sin and the notion of hell, I think it might offend a few people. Just saying... :old:

As a person who believes in many gods, I took offense in Robert's condemning one of my beliefs, but perhaps I could have been gracious about it.

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 19 Sep 2014, 11:17

To your point though, if I say that I condemn belief in one god, resurection of the body, original sin and the notion of hell, I think it might offend a few people. Just saying... :old:
Yes, that does happen. I could condemn the use of pocket hankerchiefs. Someone would get offended. :wow:

I condemn beliefs. They interfere with getting to know the person behind them. :grin:

Robert_Gollwitzer

Postby Robert_Gollwitzer » 19 Sep 2014, 13:51

Thanks a lot for all of your inputs. Much appreciated. I am pretty new here and still have to get used to this. As to the condemnation part: As a Christian, it is part of my faith to reject teachings and beliefs that are contrary to the Christian faith. However, I do NOT condemn the people behind those beliefs. Quite on the contrary. I am very well aware that there are druids who believe in that. One thing though: Sometimes "tolerance" is misunderstood. Tolerance does not mean everyone has his private faith, nobody says anything about other people's beliefs and we all hold hands and sing Kumbayah. Tolerance includes being stable and open about one's own beliefs and bringing our differences on the table, while still seeing us as one family. This is how I approach things. Yes, some Druids believe in things that are completely unacceptable for me. I can say that - and still see them as my brothers and sisters. If it were not like that, I would not be in here to begin with. Just as much as everyone else can openly say how he or she disagrees with me. Families are no different. That makes the whole thing interesting and also open for growth. Not to do that would mean to water down our common core and make it fruitless and tasteless. Hope that makes sense for someone in here. I really see you guys as my family - and hope you feel the same way about a black sheep like me... :shake:

Greetings from Munich, Germany & an awesome weekend!

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 19 Sep 2014, 16:52

Thanks a lot for all of your inputs. Much appreciated. I am pretty new here and still have to get used to this. As to the condemnation part: As a Christian, it is part of my faith to reject teachings and beliefs that are contrary to the Christian faith. However, I do NOT condemn the people behind those beliefs. Quite on the contrary. I am very well aware that there are druids who believe in that.
An important distinction to make, IMO.

My mum pretty much believes what you believe. But she also believes in free will, and that I have my own say in the matter. Makes for a good relationship when our beliefs don't get in the way.
One thing though: Sometimes "tolerance" is misunderstood. Tolerance does not mean everyone has his private faith, nobody says anything about other people's beliefs and we all hold hands and sing Kumbayah. Tolerance includes being stable and open about one's own beliefs and bringing our differences on the table, while still seeing us as one family. This is how I approach things.
I love your idea of tolerance. And I think you have a great definition of a taboo there, too: "everyone has his private faith, nobody says anything about other people's beliefs and we all hold hands and sing Kumbayah" :-)
Yes, some Druids believe in things that are completely unacceptable for me.
Ditto. Each druid has different opinions; disagreement is bound to happen.
I can say that - and still see them as my brothers and sisters. If it were not like that, I would not be in here to begin with. Just as much as everyone else can openly say how he or she disagrees with me. Families are no different. That makes the whole thing interesting and also open for growth. Not to do that would mean to water down our common core and make it fruitless and tasteless.

"We become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams." Jimmy Carter
Hope that makes sense for someone in here. I really see you guys as my family - and hope you feel the same way about a black sheep like me... :shake:
Makes sense to me. :shake:

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 24 Sep 2014, 20:32

This is interesting timing as part of my long journey of self reconciliation took me to stay in a Franciscan friary last week, thirty years after I left the christian church in sadness and looked for other ways to express my spirituality. As I had back then in my late teens and early 20s, I found a community that truly lives its faith and accepts being part of a church that isn't all it could/should/might be. I had very interesting conversations which came from open hearts on both sides, I even mentioned the D word and let them use the J word and it worked out ok. We agreed on many things including the difficulty in how people who call themselves Christians behave, believe, pray etc and how easy it is to leave rather than stay and work within such a huge organisational setting apparently full of conflicting 'truths' and claims.

For the first time in a long time I can sit in contemplation within a designated chapel space rather than anywhere else except a building with a cross on or near it! That in itself was huge. I don't subscribe to all of the dogma and historical established practices but I can appreciate once more some of the beauty of the essence of faith. The baby had been thrown out with all the bathwater, as they say, but no longer, because that baby was my very earliest family dynamic, with a minister for a father and a congregation, a parish, a whole set of structures my first experience of life. And it remains a part of who I am, tho not my current expression of spirituality.

What I would have enjoyed is a conversation with Christian Druids before, during, after that, but nobody labels themselves that on the public forums as far as I can see, the area where that joint path is walked and talked on here is a closed one for those that are already signed up to both paths I assume. I'm not signing up, incidentally, to returning to the church so that isn't a door I can pass in integrity. But it is sad that there isn't discussion without the challenge or defensive moves of attack or withdrawal.

I'm not honestly sure reading your first post what point you were trying to make, whether you felt defensive being a Christian on a druid forum or had experienced challenge in the outside world you had to let off steam about. But druidic work seems to me to be all about embracing the whole of life, to whatever extent we are capable, and pushing ourselves to step back from judgement and separatism to become more a part of the whole of creation, whatever name or face we ascribe to a creator, if indeed we choose to ascribe any.

Well anyway, having just returned from a pilgrimage to the Franciscan past to discover my present truth as separate from the young person's rejection and anger I was still holding, I thought it amazing timing to find your post, whatever its intent or outcome. :)
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

Return to “The Common Quest”