Polytheistic metaphysics

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Green Raven

Re: Polytheistic metaphysics

Postby Green Raven » 04 Mar 2015, 20:15

And not forgetting the fertility aspects of the thunder gods as the heat and energy from lightning causes nitrogen (N2) in the air and rainwater (H2O) to fracture and recombine to form ammonia (NH3) and nitrates (NO3), the rain carries the ammonia and nitrates to the ground, where they can be assimilated by the plants. The ancients noticed the lushness of the plants where lightning regularly struck and the fatness of the animals that grazed there. The prehistoric cultures held that lightning was the sperm of the sun and fertilised the earth (M. Gimbutas, Perkunas/Perun: The Thunder God of the Balts and the Slavs, 1973 and Reichel-Dolmatoff, G, Cosmology as ecological analysis: A view from the rain forest, 1976).

In Celtic symbology, a totem of the god Taranis was the flying Ram-Headed Serpent, the zigzag of its movement evoking lightning and the ram’s head being intensely phallic. Taranis, god of thunder, lightning and fertility, held the wheel of the sun. The Chief Druid in Lebor Gabála Érenn, C11th, had the devotional name of Mog Roith - ‘The Servant of the Wheel’ and druids were also called ‘Nadredd’ in Welsh, meaning adders (Cynddelw Brydydd Mawr ‘the Great Poet’, A Panegyric on the Lord Rhys) and Nathracha in old Irish, meaning vipers, (Muirchú maccu Machtheni, Life of Saint Patrick, C7th), the zigzag on the snakes back also representing lightning.

Lightning, rain, sun, fat animals, bounteous harvests and the blessings of fertility – all the essential basics for ancient life.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 13 Apr 2015, 01:09

It seems I may be in the minority here, but my experience of the goddesses and gods I've experienced leads me to believe in them as spirit beings with their own consciousness, independent of my own. I find it solipsistic and even a bit egotistical to conceive of them as parts of ourselves, however defined (our unconscious, the collective unconscious, projections, anthropomorphized ideas, etc.). That being said, I do believe in Jung's collective unconscious; I see it as the underworld into which the very roots of ourselves plunge down, and from which we all draw sustenance... or could draw sustenance, if we were open to it.

The Shinto concept of "kami" resonates with me as akin to how I see the gods. Kami is generally translated as spirit, as in the spirit of something. That's a good enough translation; it's basically the vital force of everything in existence, whether we (in the west) consider those things to be animate or not. I see fairies as the spirits of plants and local nature, for instance. And the gods are the "kami" of all that each god/dess represents. We picture them anthropomorphized, we picture them in ways consistent with our culture, but whether or not that's accurate, to my mind they do exist in the spirit world, which underlies and infuses this world.

Yex
OBOD Bard

Postby Yex » 18 Dec 2015, 23:30

It seems I may be in the minority here, but my experience of the goddesses and gods I've experienced leads me to believe in them as spirit beings with their own consciousness, independent of my own. I find it solipsistic and even a bit egotistical to conceive of them as parts of ourselves, however defined
Agreed

My cosmology is simultaneously "hard" polytheist, "soft" polytheist, panentheistic, monotheistic, and animist. :wow:

I believe in one underlying force that binds the universe together, one that encompasses everything, but is also greater than the sum of its parts. You can call it what you will - Awen, God, Goddess, Spirit, Love, Jesus, the Force... the list goes on... but it is a conscious energy that is present in all of creation. BUT --- I believe that we are simultaneously one with and distinctly separate from this source of creation. This mystery of simultaneous dualism and monism is central to my belief system. In one sense we are but a part of something bigger, but in another, we are our own self contained beings. I liken it to cells within an organism. Each cell in our body is its own conscious being, doing its own thing, but it is also - in a way that it can't fully comprehend - part of a greater being with a greater purpose. How could a blood cell ever fully comprehend the workings of the circulatory system?

From this perspective "The Gods", as well as "Spirits", are as much their own beings as you or I, simultaneously a distinct entity and in complete union with the supreme being. Furthermore - here's where the animism comes in - every part of creation has its own spirit... but each individual spirit is one with the Whole.

That's my 2 cents. :old:

The Shinto concept of "kami" resonates with me as akin to how I see the gods. Kami is generally translated as spirit, as in the spirit of something. That's a good enough translation; it's basically the vital force of everything in existence, whether we (in the west) consider those things to be animate or not. I see fairies as the spirits of plants and local nature, for instance. And the gods are the "kami" of all that each god/dess represents. We picture them anthropomorphized, we picture them in ways consistent with our culture, but whether or not that's accurate, to my mind they do exist in the spirit world, which underlies and infuses this world.
I agree that Shinto theology is pretty on the money.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Firminus
OBOD Bard

Postby Firminus » 17 Mar 2016, 22:01

But maybe they do exist?

In my visualizaciones I get very clear images of what you might call a continental Celtic pantheon. There is lugh, telenos, toutatis, Brigid, Ataecina, endovelicus, Sucellos, Cernunnos etc. I am not sure what they are but I definitely do not get the impression that they are my sub consciousness. The same thing happens with my guides, two with wings and two without, and dragons and unicorns... For me they are real entities. Just like shapeshifting can also happen.....And stones can speak about past bloodshed.

But I also belief that the other gods also exist, Diana, Neputune, Vulcano, Annubis, Osiris, Bacco, etc. Sometimes I wonder whether the world is full of entities that are associated with geographical areas and people that live there become in tune with them.....

Sometimes i think we have become to rationale and we have to find a logical explanation for everything...Maybe we are unable to accept the easiest explanation.....

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 23 Mar 2016, 22:05

But maybe they do exist?

In my visualizaciones I get very clear images of what you might call a continental Celtic pantheon. There is lugh, telenos, toutatis, Brigid, Ataecina, endovelicus, Sucellos, Cernunnos etc. I am not sure what they are but I definitely do not get the impression that they are my sub consciousness. The same thing happens with my guides, two with wings and two without, and dragons and unicorns... For me they are real entities. Just like shapeshifting can also happen.....And stones can speak about past bloodshed.

But I also belief that the other gods also exist, Diana, Neputune, Vulcano, Annubis, Osiris, Bacco, etc. Sometimes I wonder whether the world is full of entities that are associated with geographical areas and people that live there become in tune with them.....

Sometimes i think we have become to rationale and we have to find a logical explanation for everything...Maybe we are unable to accept the easiest explanation.....
Hello Firminus :)

I think that's an important point, and something that's been mentioned here before, it's the experience of the gods that matters, whether that be as visual images, natural forces or something else. My explanation of the gods as "psychological" is my reflection of my experience, but it is in no way meant to replace or dominate my experience. It's complementary, and one tool amongst many in my intellectual tool bag.

I'm a pragmatist, so the "truth" is what works, and what works can be very different for each person. :D

Firminus
OBOD Bard

Postby Firminus » 01 Apr 2016, 22:15

Hi Treegod, you are of course right. It is the personal truth that matters. I just love going against the current, its my enfant terrible streak....Take care

Return to “The Common Quest”