Offering?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aiwass

Offering?

Postby Aiwass » 29 Apr 2015, 20:25

Hi I'm new to the forum and registered for this question. Not sure if I'm in the right place. I'm practicing the lesser ritual of the pentagram and I want to use Oak for my wand. What should I use as an offering to the tree which branch I take from the ground d? Mind you I will NOT break off a branch for this I will find one that has already fallen.

Thanks.

Tahira
OBOD Ovate

Re: Offering?

Postby Tahira » 29 Apr 2015, 20:58

Hi,

my shamanic teacher would say, that you can give tabaco without chemical incredents.

cu Tahira
ImageImage

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 29 Apr 2015, 21:14

Hi I'm new to the forum and registered for this question. Not sure if I'm in the right place. I'm practicing the lesser ritual of the pentagram and I want to use Oak for my wand. What should I use as an offering to the tree which branch I take from the ground d? Mind you I will NOT break off a branch for this I will find one that has already fallen.

Thanks.
Hi Aiwass,
there are lots of possibilities, I find it best to ask the tree. If I get no response I assume that that tree is not offering at present and find another. Sometimes they want nothing in return, these are the hardest gifts to accept and value, but in truth the most precious.
Good luck :shake:
Sciethe
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 30 Apr 2015, 01:11

Water. Trees love water!

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 30 Apr 2015, 03:00

copper, such as a penny buried at the roots and charged with your gratitude. Sing, hug, touch the tree and send vibrations. these are just a few examples
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 30 Apr 2015, 08:41

When using tobacco, please remember that nicotine is a very strong poison and pesticide so putting it on/in the ground will probably cause the nicotine to leach out and kill the soil-life. In fact, the pesticides that are killing off the bees at the moment are neo-nicotinoids (new, patented forms of nicotine).

I used tobacco too years ago, but now I either give a few of my own hairs, tied around branch, or a dash of mead or something.

My mother, not a pagan, but very sensitive, always carries some thin cotton twine or thread around when going on a hike. While walking, she gathers branches, grasses and flowers and binds them in a garland or wreath. Then, she leaves this as an offering at a place that feels right to her(often a small fieldchapel or a waycross here). I love this idea, but often forget twine myself. An alternative idea is to gather stuff at the collection site and place it in a mandala.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 30 Apr 2015, 10:31

copper, such as a penny buried

hmm I'm not sure on copper and trees - particularly as the copper oxidises whether it will turn into a poison.

Personally, if a tree has shed a branch I don't think it's too worried about you taking it. Yes it might compost into nutrients for the roots which you could compensate it for.
There is a simple way of watering and providing some of your own personal nutrients to the tree... :grin:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 30 Apr 2015, 13:30

Copper oxides are insoluble and will just sit there until they are eventually mobilized by soil bacteria. Archaeologist will testify that it is a slow process.Copper is important for plant physiology, so it will be appreciated.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 30 Apr 2015, 15:16

For rites involving trees I always offer organic ale or cider poured across the roots as token for the blood poured out in ancient times. If you intend placing stored fruits (like apples cut laterally to expose the pentagram) make sure they are local produce so as not to inadvertently disrupt the ecology. If the tree isn’t feeling peckish :wink: , there’s plenty of wildlife that will appreciate the treat.

Bright Beltaine/ Samhuinn blessings to all!
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Return to “The Common Quest”