My idea of what "God" is

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
GrayFire

My idea of what "God" is

Postby GrayFire » 31 Aug 2015, 01:27

All of my life I have been embarking on a rather intense and expansive quest, if you will, of searching/seeking out a never-ending adding to my Spirit/my Spirituality, and discovery of related issues dealing with a wide range of various spiritual/metaphysical issues and such.

I have always been caught up in a whirlwind of reading, studying, learning, pondering, meditation and so on, and basically, I can compare it in a symbolic/metaphoric sense to a "feeding" of my mind, heart, spirit and every part of my being....a consuming of spiritual energy from various sources of knowledge. That is truly what this feels like to me, like "feeding" from a massive "buffet" of spiritual/metaphysical energy that in spite of the various array of forms, labels, methods, cultures, races, etc., that each item of "food" may originate from, the "master chef" that created and prepared every single one of these items on this endless buffet is only one single "Being", not more than one.

And that one "Being" is what I personally refer to and relate to as the definition of what many people call "God". However, I want to point out and clarify that I myself do not use or really relate to the word or term "God". To me personally, "Universal Energy Source" is the term that truly resonates with the deepest part of my Spirit, because the term "God" to me just seems to imply or describe a single divine person, or a single divine being that created every single thing that exists, that created the entire universe, and that just does not resonate with me personally.

Although yes, I do absolutely believe that everything is indeed "One" and that everything in existance is intertwined and all originates from just one single source, I do not see, feel, or experience that one source as being a single "Being" as in the sense of a single divine "Person" or single divine "God Being". To me, "Energy" is my own personal definition of "God", and not a single being with a single personality, "God" to me is not the Creator of the Universe and everything that exists, at least not in the sense that the Bible teaches people to believe that it is. "God" to me is not this one single divine male being that created everything, as the Bible teaches, and yet "God" is not a single divine female being that created everything either. Please allow me to clarify something, I assure everyone that I am in no way attempting to cut down, mock or belittle anyone who may have and follow Christian beliefs. I believe that each person should have the freedom to follow whatever path they happen to be most drawn to and resonate with and that is fulfilling to them. I feel a need to make sure that anyone who reads anything that I may post is aware of this, because it is never my wish to offend or mock anyone at all. I am tolerant and accepting.

To me, "God", as I said already, is Energy, and that Energy is composed of both male and female aspects, of both positive and negative, of both extremes and every various color and shades of gray that can possibly exist from every thought, intent, need, desire, emotion, circumstance, experience, purpose, change and growth, birth, death, rebirth, outcome and so on, whether all of these things involve a single human being, a single animal's life, a single tree or flower's life, a single state or country or continent's existence and evolution over the ages, or the entire Universe itself. All of these things are what "God" is composed of, all of these various forms of Energy is "God" to me.

Much love and gratitude to anyone and everyone who happens to read this post. :hug:

aaron
OBOD Ovate

Re: My idea of what "God" is

Postby aaron » 31 Aug 2015, 02:26

Hi, :hiya:
I am reminded of something I used to say to tourists at the National Park where I was a Ranger many years ago.
I would be giving s talk about the scientific reasons for some natural formation or why a certain tree grew in a specific spot. Usually, someone would ask why I never mentioned God in my explanations.
I would answer with the following thought.
I have described to you the tools used in creating this beautiful area. It is up to you to decide who or what used these tools.
My point is that God or Goddess or Spirit is within all of us. It is what makes us human. Each individual has their own perception of God. I do not like to define God as anything specific. All I know is that God is a concept that makes me happy and adds more to the mystery of life.

May you find peace in the Grove.
Aaron

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 31 Aug 2015, 15:25

Hello Aaron and I want to briefly let you know that I enjoyed reading your response and that I thank you for reading and responding. I certainly do have some thoughts that I intend on expressing back to you on what you wrote in your response, for this moment though I am going to make another new post. I just wanted to make sure that I acknowledged your initial response and that I thank you for it. I will be back to respond in more detail to you before too very much longer. :tiphat:

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 01 Sep 2015, 09:13

I have always been caught up in a whirlwind of reading, studying, learning, pondering, meditation and so on, and basically, I can compare it in a symbolic/metaphoric sense to a "feeding" of my mind, heart, spirit and every part of my being....a consuming of spiritual energy from various sources of knowledge. That is truly what this feels like to me, like "feeding" from a massive "buffet" of spiritual/metaphysical energy that in spite of the various array of forms, labels, methods, cultures, races, etc., that each item of "food" may originate from, the "master chef" that created and prepared every single one of these items on this endless buffet is only one single "Being", not more than one.
This is something that really resonates with me. There's so much wisdom in so many forms that we can think of as the heritage of humakind, and through consuming, digesting and integrating them we may grow personally and spiritually. Usually I "regurgitated" them in poetic form, which represents a synthesis of the ideas boiling away in my brain. :)

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 01 Sep 2015, 10:16

Each has their own idea of what God is.
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 02 Sep 2015, 18:15

Hello Shirley, and thank you very much for responding. You are right, indeed we each have our own individual idea of what God is. May I ask what your own personal idea is? If you would rather not go into details, that is absolutely fine and I assure you that I will understand. I only asked because I am always interested in hearing and learning from the ideas and such of others. In any case I do appreciate your response. Many Blessings and I hope that you continue to grow and learn and enjoy your own Spirituality, your own personal path. :shake:

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 02 Sep 2015, 19:55

Hello Aaron, I first wish to let you know that what you stated in your response to my post on this has in turn reminded me also of something that I myself tend to explain to people, especially members of my own blood-heritage family who all believe in Christianity, and only in Christianity.
Hi, :hiya:
I am reminded of something I used to say to tourists at the National Park where I was a Ranger many years ago.
I would be giving s talk about the scientific reasons for some natural formation or why a certain tree grew in a specific spot. Usually, someone would ask why I never mentioned God in my explanations.
I would answer with the following thought.
I have described to you the tools used in creating this beautiful area. It is up to you to decide who or what used these tools.
My point is that God or Goddess or Spirit is within all of us. It is what makes us human. Each individual has their own perception of God. I do not like to define God as anything specific. All I know is that God is a concept that makes me happy and adds more to the mystery of life.

May you find peace in the Grove.
Aaron
In other words, none of them believe that adding anything whatsoever from any kind of different Spiritual beliefs, practices and such are alright or acceptable. They all believe that unless a person focuses on and follows the Christian Bible alone down to the letter, and every part of it, and dedicates their entire lifetime to that alone, then they will burn for all Eternity in Hell and be tormented forever by Satan and all his demons and evil spirits with no possible way to ever escape that fate. So, needless to say really, none of them are pleased with or can truly ever accept that my own Spirituality is different than theirs, and the fact that I myself do indeed believe in and practice aspects from a variety of cultures, Spiritual systems, and such that are not strictly Christian alone, causes them to fully without any doubt believe that I am Hellbound, and so they pray and cry and constantly feel intense sadness and grief over it. Their goal is to keep on praying and believing that eventually the "One and Only True God" of the Bible will lead me out of the "Darkness" and state of "Sin" that they believe I am in.

I have to say that this causes me to feel pain for their sakes, because it hurts my own heart to know that they are in a state of suffering needlessly. However, I realize that regardless of this, I still have to remain standing strong in my own beliefs and to be true to myself. I never attempt to sway any of them to my own beliefs or practices, but the main issue that bothers me is not that they are Christians in itself, rather the fact that their beliefs are causing them such pain and sorrow over what they believe my fate to be.

This is not only to/for Aaron, but also for anyone else who happens to read this. Please allow me to make sure to clarify to everyone, but I suppose especially those here who do believe in and incorporate Christianity into their Spiritual beliefs, practices and such, I do realize that not all people who relate to a lot of aspects of Christianity and love it and practice aspects of it, are like my own family is. I am not at all intending to cut down my own family or Christians in general, as I do believe that each individual person should have the freedom to believe in and practice whatever happens to be most fulfilling to them. I have nothing at all against Christians or any belief system and such as far as Spirituality goes, and I am not a "hater". I am simply attempting to express to others about the differences between what my own Spirituality is and that of my own family's particular form and beliefs are as far as their own specific views of what Christianity and who God is to them. I would very much actually enjoy hearing more from those here who do identify with and practice Christianity, whether you may happen to be of the same beliefs as my own family is, or whether you are a Christian who believes that it is alright to blend aspects from various belief systems. Either way, I realize that it can help me to hear from others perspectives in general. Also here, I can be hearing from others besides just my own blood family alone, even if they believe the same way my family does, it is always nice to hear things from other peoples perspectives also.

Alright, to Aaron now in regards to your response. My own stance on when people happen to ask me about why I do not believe in and follow and practice the Bible alone. I always attempt to describe to them to the best of my ability the following idea.

Over the many countless Ages, there have been books, manuscripts, carvings, teachings in various forms from many varied cultures and places all over this Planet Earth about, again, many widely-varied beliefs as to what each of these cultures/places believe in and practice in regards to each of their concepts on Divinity and Creation and ways to honor and please what they each see as being Divine. They each have their own concepts as to what "Heaven" or "Paradise" and such mean to and is defined as by them. Therefore, the main point being more of a question, at least to me personally. How then can any one of these cultures,etc., claim to possess the "Absolute One and Only, Be All and End All", and to be the Only Truth that can ever possibly exist? I believe that they are both truths and mis-truths amongst any and every form of Spiritual systems, and their are both certain things that there has been found actual physical evidence of to support these specific beliefs, and also things that there is no actual physical proof found yet to support specific beliefs. However, just in my own beliefs and in the ways that I personally follow Spirituality, I lean much, much more to the many things that I myself just feel a strong natural drawing towards, and a personal resonating with, and probably more than anything else, I follow the things that I have and continue to actually Experience for my own self first-hand. Well, I thank anyone who read and/or responds to this. Many Blessings and Warmth to all. :)

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 02 Sep 2015, 20:07

This is to treegod. I wanted to let you know that I have read your response to my post and I thank you very much for reading and responding to it. I absolutely will get back to a detailed response, as I do have a lot of thoughts on what you wrote in your response. However, for now I need to get off the computer, but assure you that I will be back. Many Blessings to you treegod :tiphat:

BirchWind
OBOD Bard

Postby BirchWind » 03 Sep 2015, 20:14

It has been a funny thing for me in a sense.
Sometimes God is a verb. This motion, action feeling that is overwhelming and not able to be pinned down by any title or label.
At the same time I have felt a personal connection to various deities as 'beings'. Whether this be various manifestations of Source, connecting with me (and others) at various points of the journey or whether it be actual individual beings, or manifestations of higher Self.. no idea. I try to focus on the message I am getting at that time because it always seems to be the message I need.
One other interesting thing was that whether it was the Christian 'God' (when I was Roman Catholic), or Lord and Lady (as purely Wiccan), or the pre-judaic 'El' the Canaanite aspect of deity (as a Canaanite Polytheist), it has been the same sort of result. An overwhelming movement of emotion and understanding. Point being that for me, the label of what it was I sensed, in whatever form, was not as important as what it relayed to me. Source, Energy, Personal Deity, Wind in the Trees... I would get stuck in trying to sort out which was which, what was true... then lose the meaning altogether. Now I just try to allow myself to be open to whatever form the interaction takes place.

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 04 Sep 2015, 01:19

Hello BirchWind and I thank you, as I always love to thank anyone and everyone who reads and/or responds to any of my posts. Always know that it is greatly appreciated. I actually see and feel that others' responses and just others simply reading something I write is a type of Sacred Gift to me that I never wish to take for granted. I loved what you stated in your response and I do have thoughts on it that I will be responding back to you on. First now however I need to respond back to treegod, then I will post a response to you . :hug:

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 04 Sep 2015, 02:14

Hello again treegod, you know what I have been pondering on as far as what exactly part of my response to yours will be? I have decided that I want to start out my response to you with an "excerpt" from a 66 page originally handwritten with ink to paper letter that I wrote to my biological father about five years ago. I will admit that it was indeed a rather hostile letter at the time back then when it was written. What I need to at least attempt to clarify however, is that my emotions and overall attitude at that particular time, were coming from a point of having been terrorized by him all my life and locked in a constant state of fear from his very volatile and controlling nature. He is still this same way as I type this here now, but it took me until way into my adulthood to finally get the nerve up to confront him full force on the many ways he had hurt me and damaged me in a lot of ways, and not only myself, but also many members of my own family and his family and just about anyone he ever crossed paths with.

I have had to do a lot of Spiritual work on my own attitude and learn to truly forgive him and Bless him rather than Curse him. It was not an easy process, I shed many tears of frustration, confusion, feelings of the loss of so many years of my life that I allowed myself to remain under his thumb. In general, as I stated, it was a difficult process of healing for me and learning to find peace, finally, but I did it.

Again, please understand that I am not attempting to rehash all this with the intent of using this forum as place for an outlet to cut him down all over again. Actually, a lot of my hopes in relating this to whoever may read this, is to reach out to those here who may have also been or are perhaps still in a process of going through very difficult situations in their own lives. I have a lot, and I do mean a lot of things from my own life story that I could share here with others, and my intention in doing so would not at all be to attempt to present myself as some kind of martyr, nor to seek sympathy or make others feel sorry for me. I have grown so much stronger in so many ways since then, and I wish for others to grow as strong as they can be also, not in an aggressive or violent manner towards others, but to stand for whatever their own beliefs and such are and to Empower themselves, yet not attempt to gain power over others.
This is something that really resonates with me. There's so much wisdom in so many forms that we can think of as the heritage of humakind, and through consuming, digesting and integrating them we may grow personally and spiritually. Usually I "regurgitated" them in poetic form, which represents a synthesis of the ideas boiling away in my brain. :)
Alright, below is the "Excerpt" from the letter I mentioned....

I've had so much that I've been wanting and needing to say to you for years and years of my life that I have kept bottled up inside to the point that it has just been killing my spirit. I've been needing to say things to you and had been trying to push myself to write you for at least several months now because I knew that it would be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders and inside of myself to just get it all out once and for all. I kept intending to start on a letter to you but ended up just putting it off because I knew in my heart that once I actually did finally sit down and started writing, all the things that would come out would be very emotionally draining to me...I knew I would find myself caught up in an emotional whirlwind. Really, more like just one more emotional whirlwind, because I have pretty much lived my whole life caught up in one anyway when it comes to you. I have barely written a paragraph yet and already tears of anger and sadness and loss and frustration and pain and so many emotions are starting. I don't know even really where or with what the hell to even start with...where do I start with so many years of this built up inside myself? Damn you for all you have put me and my family and your family and so many people who have had the misfortune of knowing you through...and damn myself for allowing you to turn me into a weak coward who was too stupid to stand up to you way before now. All the things I am going to say to you in this letter, I should have said to you face to face years and years ago. You would not have actually listened to me, because any time that I did even try to express some small part of my thoughts or wants or feelings to you, all you ever did was yell over me and belittle me and just shoot me down just like you have always done to me and to anyone who did not think and act just like you wanted them to or thought that they should. So no, you would not have listened, but, I still should have at least tried to get all this out before now anyway or at least written it in a letter way before now instead of carrying it around like a burden all these years.

Do you know what this feels like to me? It is a lot like the feeling of being physically ill and feeling the need to vomit building up, and knowing that I need to vomit because I know that once I do, then I will feel so much better, yet even though I know I need to do it and get that toxic poison out of my system, I still try to keep putting it off because I dread the actual process of having to do it because I know it will take all of my strength and energy and I will choke and lose my breath and my head will hurt, stomach and so on. Well, that is what writing this letter feels like to me, like projectile vomiting out emotions so intensely and violently that I will be left for a while feeling like my "heart" will be drained. But all I can do is just try to take comfort in reassuring myself that once this emotional vomiting is finally done, then my heart will feel better and not so ill anymore.

Many thanks to whoever reads this and many Blessings along each and every one of your Spiritual Journeys.

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 04 Sep 2015, 02:33

It has been a funny thing for me in a sense.
Sometimes God is a verb. This motion, action feeling that is overwhelming and not able to be pinned down by any title or label.
At the same time I have felt a personal connection to various deities as 'beings'. Whether this be various manifestations of Source, connecting with me (and others) at various points of the journey or whether it be actual individual beings, or manifestations of higher Self.. no idea. I try to focus on the message I am getting at that time because it always seems to be the message I need.
One other interesting thing was that whether it was the Christian 'God' (when I was Roman Catholic), or Lord and Lady (as purely Wiccan), or the pre-judaic 'El' the Canaanite aspect of deity (as a Canaanite Polytheist), it has been the same sort of result. An overwhelming movement of emotion and understanding. Point being that for me, the label of what it was I sensed, in whatever form, was not as important as what it relayed to me. Source, Energy, Personal Deity, Wind in the Trees... I would get stuck in trying to sort out which was which, what was true... then lose the meaning altogether. Now I just try to allow myself to be open to whatever form the interaction takes place.
Hello again BirchWind, something specific came to me to respond to your response with. It is actually a writing by Michelle Belanger, and if anyone here recognizes that name, I am not sure how some may feel towards her and how she identifies herself. I myself however read and study a rather varied array of subjects and paths and such by many writers. I believe that others here do the same. So, with that said, below is the article by Michelle Belanger...

"Finding a Spiritual Mothertongue"
Written by: Michelle Belanger

As House Kheperu has grown as a group and as individuals over the past few years, our mission has grown and changed. We have been getting to know one another, and getting to understand ourselves better, and through this, we have come to better understand our path. One thing we have seen as we study all the various religious, spiritual, and metaphysical systems that are out there is this: everyone seems to be talking about the same thing, only each in his or her own language. The reason there is friction between Pagans and Christians, New Agers and Occultists is that each thinks the other is somehow wrong, and each tends to judge on his or her own assumptions, and all of this is based on the superficialities of language.

Basically, when you belong to a system, be it an organized religion or a more amorphous spiritual path, you learn a language specific to that tradition. You and everyone else in that tradition then communicate in terms of that language. The language is different for each system, and rarely is a person from one group conversant in the language of another. And yet, once you get past the specialized terminology and the jargon unique to each group, what lies beneath are basic, universal principles.

A Christian seeks a new job, so he lights a candle and says a prayer, asking God to change reality for him. A Pagan seeks a new job, so he lights a candle and performs a spell, wherein he harnesses the God-within to change reality for him. A New Ager might put a call out to the Universe in order to get the job, envisioning white light instead of the candle.
In each case, you have a person reaching toward an aspect of divinity and seeking to change reality. Christians see God as something outside of them. Depending on the Pagan, God can be both within or without. New Agers can recognize the divinity within and, like Pagans, they might harness their internal godhood to create change, or, like Christians, they might ask the favor of the Godhood outside of themselves.

Yet all are doing the exact same thing. Only in language is it really different. For one, it is a prayer, for another it is a spell. It can be called a working, a coincidence, synchronicity, magnetizing, and any number of other specialized names. The basic principle behind the working similarly has multiple names. For one, it’s religion, for another, it’s magick, for another spirituality, and for still others, its metaphysics.

These different terms describe in essence the same thing, and yet a Christian may cry out against magick, and a Pagan may just as easily look down upon metaphysics. Each is judging on the superficial appearance of a word and not looking deeper to its real meaning. That’s about as foolish as judging a person by the color of their skin and failing to recognize that, underneath the skin, everyone is human.

We Kheprians are a part of yet apart from all these different groups. As a result, our perspective is very different. We have to be conversant in all these different languages, and because of this, we see the meaning behind the words. Often, we can translate that meaning into a language that people from many different groups can understand, serving as a bridge between the many traditions we straddle.

As we have explored ourselves and our unusual perspective, we have begun to learn that this unique position is one of the reasons we are here. It’s why this website is so far-reaching, and also why parts are written to appeal to a variety of groups, mixing jargon from Pagans, New Agers, psions, Christian mystics and so forth.
What we are seeking is to develop a spiritual mothertongue -- a language that expresses, clearly and concisely, the basic principles beneath all religious, spiritual, and magickal systems. Through this, we hope to promote tolerance and understanding among the many different expressions of spirituality that can be found on this planet.
Once positive communication has been achieved, we feel that all the different groups and traditions can come together to develop a more complete understanding of the universe and our collective place in it. For we feel each system expresses the truth, but only in part. And only by getting all of the pieces to the jigsaw together will we begin to see the entire picture.

Alright, I will post this for now for BirchWind and also for anyone else. Thanks so much for reading. :curtsey:

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 04 Sep 2015, 09:37

That is not my understanding of the interaction. A traditional or legendary magician uses his or her art, skill and will to bend matter, nature and time to their purpose – for good or ill. The christian beseeches a micro-managing all-powerful creator to alter His divine plan a little to incorporate the christian’s personal interests. Very different.

My personal gnosis acknowledges a sentient universe – a macro-Gaia, to use Lovelock’s metaphor – of which we are part. The approach does not try to distort the natural but instead bends in the wind and sails the ocean of the universe’s purpose. It is takes study, self-knowledge and discipline to not to oppose the winds and tides but, if an opposite direction is needed, to jibe and tack until the required destination is attained. The motion of a boat when tacking is that of a rounded zigzag, exactly like that of a snake through grass. This is why the Druids of old described themselves as Nadredd (Brit) and Nathracha (Gael) - adders. Yes, the Druids could bite but preferred to bask in the summer sun of concord, cooperation and community.

An interest in some practical biology, botany, chemistry, physics, astronomy, meteorology and oceanography helps. These forebears of these studies were known as “natural magic” in the mediaeval times. That may seem daunting but way before this era of high literacy, television, information technology and hi-tech distractions, every child knew the name of every plant, could tell tomorrow’s weather by looking at the sky and knew the health of an animal at a glance.

One thing is common to Pagan and Christian and that is that both are individually responsible for their thoughts and actions. Whether by karma, divine judgement, law of return or rule of secular law, the individual makes their own life and carries the can. Dependence on a higher power to keep traffic wardens away from your car or post money through your letterbox to cover your debts is fatuous and deluded. Budget your household according to your income, buy a parking ticket and limit your impact on the bionetwork. That is the way of all serious spiritual orders.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 05 Sep 2015, 15:42

That is not my understanding of the interaction. A traditional or legendary magician uses his or her art, skill and will to bend matter, nature and time to their purpose – for good or ill. The christian beseeches a micro-managing all-powerful creator to alter His divine plan a little to incorporate the christian’s personal interests. Very different.

My personal gnosis acknowledges a sentient universe – a macro-Gaia, to use Lovelock’s metaphor – of which we are part. The approach does not try to distort the natural but instead bends in the wind and sails the ocean of the universe’s purpose. It is takes study, self-knowledge and discipline to not to oppose the winds and tides but, if an opposite direction is needed, to jibe and tack until the required destination is attained. The motion of a boat when tacking is that of a rounded zigzag, exactly like that of a snake through grass. This is why the Druids of old described themselves as Nadredd (Brit) and Nathracha (Gael) - adders. Yes, the Druids could bite but preferred to bask in the summer sun of concord, cooperation and community.

An interest in some practical biology, botany, chemistry, physics, astronomy, meteorology and oceanography helps. These forebears of these studies were known as “natural magic” in the mediaeval times. That may seem daunting but way before this era of high literacy, television, information technology and hi-tech distractions, every child knew the name of every plant, could tell tomorrow’s weather by looking at the sky and knew the health of an animal at a glance.

One thing is common to Pagan and Christian and that is that both are individually responsible for their thoughts and actions. Whether by karma, divine judgement, law of return or rule of secular law, the individual makes their own life and carries the can. Dependence on a higher power to keep traffic wardens away from your car or post money through your letterbox to cover your debts is fatuous and deluded. Budget your household according to your income, buy a parking ticket and limit your impact on the bionetwork. That is the way of all serious spiritual orders.
A warm hello to you Green Raven. I thank you for reading and responding. I do sincerely hope that I did not in any way happen to offend you and if I did, I offer my apologies. First, based on what you wrote in your response, I am led to believe that your response was in regards to my posting of Michelle Belanger's "Finding a Spiritual Mothertongue". If I am incorrect however, please do feel free to correct me so I may be certain that I am guessing correctly. I wish to clarify that I myself am not a member of House Kheperu, but as I said, I just enjoy reading and taking in information from a wide variety of belief systems and such.

In any case though, I will tell that I was actually raised in the Christian Faith, and within a specific Denomination within it, and that was the Pentecostal Denomination. So I can tell you that from my own personal first-hand experience, I do know a lot about this particular Denomination of Christianity. Again, please keep in mind that everything that I say about this I am basing on my own experiences with it. I really can not speak or attempt to verify anyone else's experiences who may happen to be in this particular Denomination. I want to be sure that I have that clarified.

So, with that said, my personal experience of being raised within this Denomination was for myself not a pleasant one for the most part. I remember being a child, about five years old, and one night at the church my Mom and myself were attending, the Pastor showed this film about "The End Times" and it showed people in absolute panic because they were not Christians and The Anti-Christ owned their Souls and now there was absolutely no way out whatsoever for any of them. They were doomed to spend all of Eternity in Hell and to be tormented by Satan and all his Demons, because they had taken "The Mark of the Beast" on their bodies, so there was no chance at all of redemption for any of them. The people in the film were weeping and wailing so loud. Needless to say, there were many children in that church that night who were scared out of their wits and who were crying and seeking comfort from their parents, only to be told that as long as they followed the Bible alone and nothing else whatsoever, then they would not need to worry about meeting the same fate as the people in the film, however, if they did not follow the Bible alone and claim it alone as "The One and Only Absolute Truth" and as the "One and Only Be All and End All" for how to live their lives, then they would meet the horrible fate of the people in the film.

A side note here...my biological father was the one who actually hammered and harassed into my Mom's head before they even married, that she needed to completely abandon her Catholic Denomination of Christianity and that the Pentecostal Denomination alone was the Only Denomination that actually held Absolute Truth. So, he demanded that my Mom go to a certain Pentecostal church and that she take me with her, yet, he himself would not attend church or follow their beliefs and teachings. He merely used the Christian Bible as a means to make my Mom and myself obey him and to assert control over us(to put it mildly).

Besides just the Pentecostal churches he bullied us into attending, even after my Mom divorced him finally when I was about nine years old, she continued to feel a strong sense of guilt for leaving that particular Denomination and also for no longer attending and following Christianity in general. She had been so, well, I hate in a way to use the term brainwashed, yet that really is the most fitting term for what she personally went through by that particular Denomination.

Eventually, she got back into that same particular Denomination once again. All the while however, she would complain about a lot of their specific doctrines. For one example, this church she attends now teaches that it is a sin for a female to cut their hair, to wear pants or shorts, and they are supposed to wear only longer skirts or dresses. They teach it is a sin for male or females to express sexuality in any way, except within the context of marriage. Single people who are intimate are sinners in their eyes. Even watching movies like Avatar, or any movie or TV show that portrays such ideas is a sin and God is very displeased at people who watch such things. The same goes for reading such books and so on.

Again, please understand that I am not attempting to group all Pentecostals, nor all Christians in general into the exact same category. I will say that I have indeed met and known Pentecostals and Christians in general who were and still are very kindhearted, open-armed and even though they disagree with others of a different belief system, they still treat them with a lot of respect and accept them as friends. As I stated earlier, I am writing things here based on my own personal first-hand experiences. Anyhow, I suppose I need to close this for now. :boggle:

Many Thanks to Green Raven and to whoever may read this.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 06 Sep 2015, 09:40

Hi Grayfire,

Not offended, just contributing to the share and debate :)

Please feel free to challenge anything and everything I ever write anywhere :2dance:

Michelle Berenger seems a rum cove - she considers herself a vampire and has initiated a belief system based on on-line role-playing games? There doesn't seem to be anything in there for me but each to their own. One meets such interesting people on the journey.

Thanks for sharing, I've had my run-ins with controlling and hyper simplistic versions of christianity as well.

Best wishes, GR

ETA:
Yes, that's Michelle Belanger - wretched auto-correct strikes again!
Last edited by Green Raven on 06 Sep 2015, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 06 Sep 2015, 17:26

Hello Green Raven for responding once again.
Hi Grayfire,

Not offended, just contributing to the share and debate :)

Please feel free to challenge anything and everything I ever write anywhere :2dance:

Michelle Berenger seems a rum cove - she considers herself a vampire and has initiated a belief system based on on-line role-playing games? There doesn't seem to be anything in there for me but each to their own. One meets such interesting people on the journey.

Thanks for sharing, I've had my run-ins with controlling and hyper simplistic versions of christianity as well.

Best wishes, GR
Hey, listen, I actually very much do appreciate your honesty in relaying your thoughts and feelings about Michelle Belanger. Honestly, I tend to in general have the most respect and admiration for others such as yourself who do not attempt to sugar-coat their genuine thoughts and feelings on any particular subject. Allow me to use an old quote here that I remember first hearing in my teenage years. "Sometimes those who are brutally honest enjoy the brutality more than the honesty". My own personal point in mentioning that quote here to you Green Raven, is that based on your latest response, I want to make sure that I clarify not only to you, but also to anyone who may read this, is the following. That based on that quote, I want it known that to me, I do not see you as being "someone who enjoys the brutality more than the honesty". I feel that you are merely expressing your genuine honesty, yet I did not take you as being brutal about it at all. So for that aspect, I have admiration and respect for you. :shake:

I thank you for sharing with me that you personally have also had your own, as you stated "run-ins with controlling and hyper simplistic versions of Christianity as well". This actually helps me to be informed of the similar experiences of others. I am not only referring to experiences dealing with Christianity, but also to experiences dealing with any subject in general. I welcome you in turn to challenge me on anything and everything that I may ever write anywhere.

Believe me, I never think so highly of my own self that I become disillusioned into believing that I have finally reached such a high place of knowledge or wisdom that I view myself as having learned everything that there is to learn in my present physical incarnation. I would be an absolute fool to ever believe such a thing, because the Spirit is Eternal and continues to gain knowledge and wisdom from each set of experiences it goes through in each and every physical incarnation.

Anyhow, thank you again for your "Honesty Without Brutality" .

Return to “The Common Quest”