VOTE! 2017 SAMHUINN/BELTANE RECIPES

Quarterly competitions at Imbolc, Beltaine, Lughnasadh, and Samhain. Winners will be published in the OBOD Eisteddfod web pages.

Moderators: Earthwoman, Earthwoman

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2017, 10:58

nollaig -- Nollaig's Old Fashion Drop Cookies for Samhain
37%
NiamhNC -- SUBTLE MYSTERIES OF SAMHAIN (an essential oil blend)
37%
Earthwoman -- Shadowfest Pork Loin Roast
26%

Total votes: 19

Earthwoman
OBOD Ovate

Postby Earthwoman » 23 Sep 2017, 16:24

Notice: Please use the poll to cast vote(s) for your favorite recipes. You cannot select more than two. ONLY those votes submitted to the poll will be tallied. Votes submitted as posts below will not be counted.

nollaig
OBOD Druid

Re: 2017 SAMHUINN/BELTANE RECIPE ENTRIES

Postby nollaig » 19 Oct 2017, 15:36

Nollaig's Old Fashion Drop Cookies for Samhain
For warm hearts and loving homes

This wonderful recipe is my variation of my grandmother's. It keeps well and is lovely to eat with tea, coffee or blended scotch whiskey.

Ingredients
2 cups.... flour
1 cup..... brown sugar
3/4 cup..... shortening
1 teaspoon..... vanilla
1 teaspoon..... soda
1/4 teaspoon..... salt
1 teaspoon..... cream of tartar
2 eggs
12 walnuts

Creation Ritual
1) Call the corners and invoke Brighid.
2) Say three Awens and preheat the oven to 350°C or 180°F.
3) Sift soda, salt, cream of tartar and flour, then meditate on the otherworld and seasonal change.
4) Cream in the shortening, add sugar and mix well, feel the creative fire that burns in you.
5) Reflect on the magick of the crone and crack the eggs, beating them well into the mixture.
6) Drop onto a floured cookie sheet. Say the Druid prayer.
7) Decorate with a walnut in the centre, say more Awens and bake until golden.
8) Cool on wire rack. Thank Brighid and the quarters.
9) Invite a friend for a cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy!

"The sin which is unpardonable is knowingly and wilfully to reject truth, to fear knowledge lest that knowledge pander not to thy prejudices." (Uncle Aleister, Liber Libræ)

2013 LI (3), 2014 IL (2), 2014 BS (3), 2014 LI (3), 2015 IL (3), 2015 LI (3), 2015 SB (4), 2016 IL (6), 2016 BS (4), 2016 SB (1), 2017 SB (4).

NiamhNC
OBOD Ovate

Postby NiamhNC » 21 Oct 2017, 00:54

SUBTLE MYSTERIES OF SAMHAIN
(a Celtic Seasonal Essential Oil Blend)
Dedicated to the Lovely People of the Dóiteán agus Uisce (Flame and Well) Seed Group

The oils in this blend speak to me of going deeper inside, exploring the inner landscape. The aroma is very subtle. I find this blend to be very potent as I see all of these oils containing powerful qualities. Simply smelling this blend before meditation enhances my ability to reach deeper and bring back intriguing and thought-provoking messages. It is one that I will use with great respect for its potential.

Ingredients
  • 1 part Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) essential oil
    2 parts Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia sacra) essential oil
    1 part Sandalwood (Santalum album) essential oil
    3 parts Spruce (Tsuga Canadensis) essential oil
    2 parts Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) essential oil
    3 parts Grape Seed and Sweet Almond Oil Blend
Instructions
Add all essential oils to a dark colored glass bottle with a restrictor cap. Shake well. Enjoy dabbed on wrists, neck, or chakras, add a few drops to a spray bottle of distilled water to spritz around your altar, in your ritual space or anywhere else it feels right.

Why these oils?
Frankincense, Sandalwood and Myrrh contain sesquiterpenes, which stimulate the limbic system of the brain (the center of long term memory and emotions), as well as the hypothalamus, pineal and pituitary glands. The people of the Lakota tribe believed that Spruce enhanced their ability to communicate with the Great Spirit; other tribes found it to be protective. It is also known to help release emotional blocks. Wintergreen plants remain green throughout the winter season. How could I not use it in a ‘winter’ blend?! Frankincense has been used as anointing during spiritual ceremonies for thousands of years. This could be due to its ability to increase spiritual awareness – a quality that Myrrh shares. Frankincense can promote meditation and is an enhancer – boosting the actions of other oils in blends.

Notes
• I created this blend to share with others during Samhain.
• Using therapeutic grade essential oils is recommended, as their properties are known to be effective at the physical, emotional, vibrational and spiritual levels. If you are unable to find therapeutic grade oils, good quality ‘pure’ essential oils can be substituted. Aromatically, all should be well. However there is a chance that the other effects may not be the same.
• A few people can have a skin reaction to large quantities or prolonged use of Wintergreen essential oil. However, the quantity is small and using the Grape Seed and Sweet Almond Oil as a carrier oil should mitigate this.

Resources:
Dodt, Colleen. The Essential Oils Book. 1996. Pownal, VT: Storey Publishing.
Mars, Brigitte. The Desktop Guide to Herbal Medicine. 2nd Ed. 2016. Columbus, OH: Basic Health Publications Inc.
Mein, Carolyn D.C. Releasing Emotional Patterns with Essential Oils. Rancho Santa Fe, CA: Visionware Press.
Mojay, Gabriel. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit. 1997. London: Gaia Books.
Penoel, Daniel M.D. and Rose-Marie Penoel. Natural Home Health care Using Essential Oils. 1998. La Drome, France: Editions Osmoboise.
Valnet, Jean M.D. The Practice of Aromatherapy. 1990. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
Niamh

Image Image Image Image Image 2017
When a poet digs himself into a hole, he doesn't climb out. He digs deeper, enjoys the scenery, and comes out the other side enlightened. ~ Criss Jami, Venus in Arms

Earthwoman
OBOD Ovate

Postby Earthwoman » 22 Oct 2017, 02:10

Shadowfest Pork Loin Roast

Ingredients:

1 pork loin
Olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Several springs of rosemary, crushed and chopped, or 1 tsp. dried rosemary
A few cloves of garlic, crushed and minced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 Celsius). Make several diagonal cuts on top of the pork loin and then drizzle the olive oil on top. Sprinkle the sea salt, the pepper, the rosemary, and the garlic onto the pork loin.

Roast, uncovered, in the preheated oven for an hour to an hour and a half, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius).

Let the pork loin set at least 15 minutes before slicing. You can serve the pork loin as is, with applesauce, or (my personal favorite) with strawberry-habanero jam (the latter is a specialty of a roommate's mother).

Earthwoman
OBOD Ovate

Re: VOTE! 2017 SAMHUINN/BELTANE RECIPES

Postby Earthwoman » 24 Oct 2017, 11:21

***Any entries below this post will be ignored and/or deleted.***

Return to “Eisteddfod Competition”