Pagans and Druids issue apology to Stonehenge labourers

A place for games, jokes and general clean fun and merriment
Forum rules
Please check any gloominess at the door and come inside where mirth and merriment abound! This is the place for games, stories, jokes, and general hilarity—just keep it clean, please, and remember, no deep, thought-provoking discussions allowed! Host: Heddwen
Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Pagans and Druids issue apology to Stonehenge labourers

Postby Dathi » 21 Sep 2013, 11:42

:whistle:

Britain’s Pagan and Neo-Druidic communities have issued a joint statement finally apologising for the ‘unspeakable suffering and inconvenience’ caused by the building of Stonehenge in the second and third centuries BC.
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2013/09/14/p ... labourers/

‘For too long we have romanticised Stonehenge,’ said Archdruid Seth Wainscot. ‘We see it as a crucial part of our heritage, and frankly we’ve been a bit defensive about the whole half-arsed eyesore. But thinking about it, those stones are bloody heavy and all the archaeological evidence suggests that our predecessors weren’t particularly hot on health and safety.’

The official report, entitled ‘Stones of Shame – an Ecumenical Neo-Pagan Response to Stonehenge’, was launched this morning by the Archdruid on a small podium in the middle of the stone circle. It comes 3,500 years after the first series of standing stones was quarried in Pembrokeshire, and 2,000 years after the monument was finally completed – approximately 800 years late and 17 times over budget according to figures in the lengthy appendix.
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Re: Pagans and Druids issue apology to Stonehenge labourers

Postby Brân Gannaid » 22 Sep 2013, 11:34

:whistle:

Britain’s Pagan and Neo-Druidic communities have issued a joint statement finally apologising for the ‘unspeakable suffering and inconvenience’ caused by the building of Stonehenge in the second and third centuries BC.
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2013/09/14/p ... labourers/

<snip>
Best news I've seen all week! :-)
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 22 Sep 2013, 15:16

Perhaps that's why they're called English Heretics :grin:

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 22 Sep 2013, 15:18

So who is going to apologise for Avebury? :-)
The Arch Druid who wrote this report (which I'd love to read- 17 times over budget???) is a genius.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 22 Sep 2013, 16:08

The Arch Druid who wrote this report (which I'd love to read- 17 times over budget???) is a genius.
S
I think that's a mis-reading. What really happened is that one of the standing stones got stuck during transit, and it took 17 tries before they could budge it.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 24 Sep 2013, 03:06

I suppose folks know this was reported as "parody, satire, or spoof news."

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 24 Sep 2013, 04:05

Art -- I, for one, immediately realized the site was like "The Onion" here in the USA. I had no idea OBOD would be this much fun! Also love the correction -- "budge it!" I'm learning a lot about wordplay just by reading posts!
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 Sep 2013, 09:02

S
I think that's a mis-reading. What really happened is that one of the standing stones got stuck during transit, and it took 17 tries before they could budge it.
Well quite. But it makes you think, innit. We can't budge it = we can't afford to move it. Here we might well be seeing the origin of a financial term.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Aleq

Postby Aleq » 03 Jul 2014, 03:00

Hi not sure I am doing this correctly, I am brand new to Druidity??? regardless I am trying to find anyone who is more so into this path if that is a good way to denote those who follow the teachings of the ancient Druids- who may live/reside in the Chattanooga, TN and or Nashville, TN area, please let me know-- I am all for an apology, we should pick up our rocks and go home.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 03 Jul 2014, 13:33

Hi not sure I am doing this correctly, I am brand new to Druidity??? regardless I am trying to find anyone who is more so into this path if that is a good way to denote those who follow the teachings of the ancient Druids- who may live/reside in the Chattanooga, TN and or Nashville, TN area, please let me know-- I am all for an apology, we should pick up our rocks and go home.
Welcome :yay:

You might want to introduce yourself to the wider audience in the "Introductions" thread in the Hearthfire (next level up in these forums.)
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 04 Jul 2014, 03:18

I suppose folks know this was reported as "parody, satire, or spoof news."
I had no doubt at all that it was real...I even rolled my eyes, and not figuratively...one of these.... :roll: ....it seemed like something nowadays people would do, like that cringe-worthy male apology video from a couple of years back.....my hand was hovering over the keyboard, with a "you've got to be s#8ting me" right on my finger tips, but then I thought...naw....not worth it.....then I read your post...thanks.I am both embarrassed and relieved.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Return to “All Seriousness Aside”