Harry Potter Rewritten

A place for games, jokes and general clean fun and merriment
Forum rules
Please check any gloominess at the door and come inside where mirth and merriment abound! This is the place for games, stories, jokes, and general hilarity—just keep it clean, please, and remember, no deep, thought-provoking discussions allowed! Host: Heddwen
ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Harry Potter Rewritten

Postby ShadowCat » 22 Sep 2014, 07:32

I don't know whether I should laugh or be horrified at the biggotry presented:

http://www.tickld.com/x/this-woman-just ... -seriously

See for yourselves...
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Kima
OBOD Bard

Re: Harry Potter Rewritten

Postby Kima » 22 Sep 2014, 07:45

This is great :o

No honestly, knowing what evangelical Christians can be like, I'm not surprised.

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 23 Sep 2014, 14:10

I noticed it's written as if they are American too.

Because... you know... Real Christianity only exists in the USA and has everything to do with Founding Fathers and what not.

:roll:

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 23 Sep 2014, 15:41

What is satirised here: Harry Potter or Christianity?

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 24 Sep 2014, 05:06

The words "fornicating...Evolutionist" sounds like like a summary of some of the best parts of my life. :grin:

A christian priest once said -- paraphrased -- "that is not Christianity, that is American Christianity: which is a heresy".

The eternal spoilsport -- snopes -- says "kinda true...": http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/harrypotter.asp
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 24 Sep 2014, 13:19

Well, it's still better fiction than the book of mormon... :grin:
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 24 Sep 2014, 14:12

Part of me wants to laugh at how ridiculous it is. Part of me wants to throw up. Part of me wants to cry because this is likely the closest her children will get to decent literature while they're still at an age where a good book (not that one :p ) can do so much to stimulate the mind, imagination and dreams of the adult they become.

I have no problem with people believing what they want, until it interferes with another persons life.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 27 Sep 2014, 09:07

Don't worry though, her children might be intelligent and this could put them off completely once they grow up and look back.

I was "saved" from Evangelism by druidry :yay: *born again druid*

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 28 Sep 2014, 08:11

Answering just for myself, I'm very happy to have Mormon druids and other Christians among OBODies because it opens things up, while the rewrite of Harry Potter above closes them off. However, I want to be able to express views that relate to my personal path and evolution. They are not impositions but part of the conversation.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 28 Sep 2014, 10:18

Nolliag,

As I'm the one who started this topic as well as the one who made the remark on "the book of mormon" I have thought about a correct reply for a while. I have some seperate thoughts which I will number to differentiate between the different thoughts (which are not neccessarely related or in a particular order)

1. Please note that I started this topic in "All Seriousness Aside". The environment of this subforum often triggers short/lesser balanced or "to be viewed askew"-comments. For me personally, I approached this subject with both a chuckle and a raised eyebrow from the start. In this light I wrote and replied.

2. I feel confident that OBOD-folks are thinking for themselves and not projecting the extreme actions of one mom, magnified by a funny website, onto a whole continent, philosophy or religion.

3. Some people reply from a background of their own more personal experiences with similar more extreme/less tolerant christian views: that's okay imho. They are personal experiences and as such can't be judged by others.

4. Written forums require more care than verbal banter. My comment on "the book of mormon" was to be supplemented by a link to a full south-park episode that I find quite amusing. I couldn't get the link to work straight away (the dutch Southpark-site can't be viewed from abroad and the other way around I can't access the USA-version) and then life took over and I didn't get back to it. Again: it's in "all seriousness aside" and I put at least a big ol' grinnin' smiley next to my comment, so I thought that the tongue in cheek would be obvious.

5. I would like to think that people who come from any of the mayor religions or subbranches thereof to druidry will have developed a sense to differentiate between satire and seriousness. Furthermore: It's my personal opinion that any literature that can help someone hone their mind, body and spirit into a healthier, more wholesome, being, is valuable: whether it's the King James Bible or the teachings of Yoda, if it resonates with you and you learn something from it, than it's important to you. To argue about which it better, is the same like kids squabling about the difference between red and green m&m's: below the different coloured surface lies the same chocolatey center.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 18 Oct 2016, 15:00

As a Fornicating, Evolutionist myself, given to moments of insanity,and disbelief, based on the pure ignorance of DEVOUT individuals, of any organized religious order, I would like to put forth a motion to the respected contributors to this forum, that from this day forward, and on into the ages to come, and with the greatest of Respect to JK, and for you religious sort, JC, we change the the books title from Harry Potter, to Harry Proselytizer, thus giving those with a sense of humor a much needed laugh, and for those bent on raising their offspring in secular ignorance, another Book of fables to learn and grow from. All in favor, say, HOGWARTS!!!!! WITH RESPECT FOR ALL, BEACH AND BEAR.
If you take something of value from a man,, you must replace it with something of value, R Ruark:

Datura
OBOD Bard

Postby Datura » 19 Nov 2016, 07:01

Fight fire with fire. Here's another way HP has been rewritten...

http://www.popsugar.com/love/When-You-R ... r-38593130

Kaida
OBOD Bard

Postby Kaida » 20 Nov 2016, 07:45

The only reason it ruffles me is because it's co-opting someone else's work. Unless its an earnest work of parody it seems disrespectful to alter someone else's work to suit your personal disposition.

I can't fault a mom for trying to give her kid what he wants without exposing him to what she believes is harmful propaganda. Being Christian myself I can empathise.
"Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop."
~Rumi

Return to “All Seriousness Aside”