How a barbeque ruined a love song for me

A place for games, jokes and general clean fun and merriment
Forum rules
Please check any gloominess at the door and come inside where mirth and merriment abound! This is the place for games, stories, jokes, and general hilarity—just keep it clean, please, and remember, no deep, thought-provoking discussions allowed! Host: Heddwen
GrayFire

How a barbeque ruined a love song for me

Postby GrayFire » 13 Sep 2015, 16:25

About thirteen or fourteen years ago as I was sitting on a swing underneath a family members' carport, a male relative of mine was grilling meat there for a barbecue. Well, as I watched him put some meat on the grill then go in the house, then come back outside and take some of the grilled meat off the grill, then put some raw meat on the grill and go back in the house with the grilled meat, and then repeat that same pattern, a silly song popped into my mind. Alright, I suppose most people here may remember the old song from the 1980's by Paul Young titled "Every Time You Go Away". That song popped into my mind, however, instead of thinking of the original lyrics "Every time you go away, you take a piece of Me with you", I thought "Every time you go away, you take a piece of Meat with you". So, pretty much for several years after that, I had a rather difficult time hearing and being able to enjoy the original Paul Young song without giggling, and therefore the beautiful romantic love emotion was ripped right out of it for me. All I was able to think of was my family member coming and going back and forth with meat to the darn grill. :???:
Though this is Our Funeral Pyre
We can walk right on through this Fire
Cleansed and New We'll reach that Distant Shore
Where We won't have to cry anymore
Don't fear this Fire's Flames
They will carry Us to the Place We know Our True Names...GrayFire

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: How a barbeque ruined a love song for me

Postby Heddwen » 13 Sep 2015, 17:36

About thirteen or fourteen years ago as I was sitting on a swing underneath a family members' carport, a male relative of mine was grilling meat there for a barbecue. Well, as I watched him put some meat on the grill then go in the house, then come back outside and take some of the grilled meat off the grill, then put some raw meat on the grill and go back in the house with the grilled meat, and then repeat that same pattern, a silly song popped into my mind. Alright, I suppose most people here may remember the old song from the 1980's by Paul Young titled "Every Time You Go Away". That song popped into my mind, however, instead of thinking of the original lyrics "Every time you go away, you take a piece of Me with you", I thought "Every time you go away, you take a piece of Meat with you". So, pretty much for several years after that, I had a rather difficult time hearing and being able to enjoy the original Paul Young song without giggling, and therefore the beautiful romantic love emotion was ripped right out of it for me. All I was able to think of was my family member coming and going back and forth with meat to the darn grill. :???:
I remember that song. It was a great song and after reading your post I will never think of barbeques in the same light again. :-)

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 14 Sep 2015, 10:43

I have that problem with some songs too.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 15 Sep 2015, 01:26

I remember that song. It was a great song and after reading your post I will never think of barbeques in the same light again. :-)

Heddwen, :D Sorry for changing all future barbeques for you. Alas, my humor curses yet another. Whoa is me, whatever shall I do? :thinking:

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 15 Sep 2015, 01:30

I have that problem with some songs too.
Hello Whitemane :hiya: Thank you also for reading and responding. I am wondering, if you would not mind, might you share some of your own personal examples? That would be awesome :curtsey:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 15 Sep 2015, 10:23

Heddwen, :D Sorry for changing all future barbeques for you. Alas, my humor curses yet another. Whoa is me, whatever shall I do? :thinking:
what shall I do? How about another round of 'Every time you go away' with harmonies....all together now :-)

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 15 Sep 2015, 18:03

Most of mine can't be used in a public forum :oops: , but I do remember being convinced that the chorus line of "In the Navy" by the Village People (yeah, I know) was actually "Ginger Lacy" rather than "in the navy."

I play with words a lot and will play with words and rhymes while listening to a song, come up with something, and stash it away until it bubbles up some time later.

There's a live recording of Elvis doing "Are you lonesome tonight?" where he forgets the words and comes up with the line "do your teeth still come out?" and he tries to keep on going while cracking up at what he just said. Ruined the song for me.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

GrayFire

Postby GrayFire » 16 Sep 2015, 17:19

Most of mine can't be used in a public forum :oops: , but I do remember being convinced that the chorus line of "In the Navy" by the Village People (yeah, I know) was actually "Ginger Lacy" rather than "in the navy."

I play with words a lot and will play with words and rhymes while listening to a song, come up with something, and stash it away until it bubbles up some time later.

There's a live recording of Elvis doing "Are you lonesome tonight?" where he forgets the words and comes up with the line "do your teeth still come out?" and he tries to keep on going while cracking up at what he just said. Ruined the song for me.

Ah, I see. So, your song thoughts are a bit "in the gutter" eh? Well, I understand you must keep them there and not in a forum here :wink: You know what? I would imagine that there actually are some women with the name Ginger Lacy, however, I must say that it kind of sounds a wee bit like perhaps a strippers' or a "lady of the evening's" name. (By the way, I intend no offense to anyone who may happen to be named Ginger Lacy) Hhmmn, I am thinking that maybe, just maybe the fact that you heard those particular lyrics "Ginger Lacy" instead of "in the navy" may go hand in hand with many of your song thoughts not being appropriate to post in a forum here. :whistle:

Would the live recording of Elvis by any chance be from a performance he did in Hawaii where he was wearing a black leather jacket while sitting on a stool (and no, I do not mean a piece of poop), or a chair? I ask that because my aunt had an old VHS tape for her VCR when I was in my late teens and it was an old performance from Elvis in Hawaii. I do not remember if it was during that particular song, "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" or which song it was, but I do remember that at some point he started laughing and making up random lyrics.

I tend to do the same thing that you do when I listen to some songs. I will not literally misunderstand the real lyrics, but I will purposely think of alternate lyrics. I will give you an example. You know the song from the 1980's from Heart titled "What About Love?" When Ann Wilson sings "What about love? Don't you want someone to care about you? What about love? Don't let it slip away". Alright, the following is what I purposely made up. "That poor dove, You really should not stare, my words are true." "That poor dove, its' nerves will make its' poop slip away." :roll:

Well, I could of course give many more examples, but I shall stop for now. Thanks for your response Whitemane.

Return to “All Seriousness Aside”