seperate newbie intro forum

Make suggestions about the organization of this Board.
reilz81
OBOD Bard

seperate newbie intro forum

Postby reilz81 » 03 May 2011, 23:21

i was just thinking the hearthfire gets rather crowded with new posts for newbies, maybe there should be a seperate forum for all that to keep it together and just keep the hearthfire for general chat etc

Selene
OBOD Druid

Re: seperate newbie intro forum

Postby Selene » 12 May 2011, 15:18

Sorry to be so late in replying to this, reilz...somehow I'd missed it before today.

What you suggest has been considered from time to time, but there are several reasons we've always decided to leave it as it is. One reason is that the Hearthfire (which was originally called the Pub) was, from the beginning, intended specifically for meeting and greeting as well as general light chit-chat. But it's more than "we've always done it this way"...we have a lot of forums already and the sheer number of places to post can be overwhelming for new members.

Having one main entry forum is analogous to the main common room in an inn--there are lots of small rooms off to the side where people can gather for quiet talks about one topic or another, but everybody comes in the front door--maybe they just say hi, or maybe they join a table with a conversation in progress or maybe they just pull up a chair by the fire and listen to what others are saying, but it's just a big general room where people can get to know each other.

Another reason we've resisted splitting off intros from general discussion is that we've observed that whenever we create a special group for a specific purpose, interest and participation often tends to decline over time. For certain sections of the board the advantages of separate subforums outweigh the disadvantages, but for the Hearthfire, we feel that the board is best served by allowing a little mild chaos. :)

However, nothing about this board is graven in stone; it is an organic community and continually evolves, so never hesitate to raise a question about why things are done as they are. It's good to revisit our reasons from time to time and make sure our approaches are still valid.

Blessings,
Selene
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Re: seperate newbie intro forum

Postby reilz81 » 13 May 2011, 15:05

thanks for posting sounds like the reasoning is very well thought out, was suggesting it just to make it less confusing, but sounds like it has been well thought out.

Return to “Suggestions”