Anonymous Members Location Map

Make suggestions about the organization of this Board.
RedKite
OBOD Ovate

Anonymous Members Location Map

Postby RedKite » 14 Mar 2007, 18:29

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post this but here goes....

There are always loads of people saying '...is anyone in my area...'  Obviously OBOD cannot hand out private contact details without permission, for people living near you, but this appears to be impossible anyway - probably because it would be a massive job until requests slowed down.  How about a World Map, that can be 'zoomed' in to your own area, that shows a Blue, Green or White dot (Maybe just a black circle with a white centre for Druid Grade) where members of various grades live.  There is already the http://www.frappr.com/obod but there are only 18 contact for the whole of the UK - it needs something a bit more helpful than just telling people that this is available.  Seedgroups are the lifeblood of OBOD. Two of our members said that they were almost on the point of giving up, due to struggling on their own, until they saw our article in Touchstone.  I know that yearly updates of Groves and Seedgroups are issued in Touchstone but this doesn't list the members who are not Grove or Seedgroup members.

A Members Location Map would at least give us some idea if it is worth trying to contact others for the forming of Seedgroups etc.  There may even be a way to click on these dots to 'automatically' send an Email to the member to say 'Contact requested by (member's details)'.  Obviously this could only be done if members didn't mind being contacted, but they could always ignore the request anyway.  I said Email above because many members don't use the DHP... or perhaps have no Internet access, in which case the Email could go to an OBOD volunteer who would then write to the member to request contact from... whoever it is.  This project would probably mean a mass contacting of all members... like a Bright Yellow insert into Touchstone - just to attract attention - saying.. "Please contact us if you DO NOT want to go onto the auto-map".  That would catch a whole lot more contacts than asking people to respond if they DO want contact.  They could always request removal from the map at a later date.  None of their details would automatically be given to the person requesting contact.

I'd love to know if there are people near me - my seedgroup is an hours drive away and I pay UK petrol prices on unemployment pay (sob...).  Could any OBOD official help with this idea...?  I have limited computer skills and not much time to do a project like this - it really needs something to be written into the membership database that can link to the map via GPS location or zip codes etc.

Many thanks...

Mike
Image Image
Who's been sleeping in my porridge?

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 14 Mar 2007, 20:44

Redkite, I think you might have some problems with the Data Protection Act here. You can't assume that people will be happy for any information about them to be published, it has to be a positive affirmation, so while a yellow flyer in Touchstone would be a great idea, it would still have to be "opt in" rather than "opt out."

Other than that, I'm all for anything that brings obodies together :)
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 14 Mar 2007, 20:47

Mike,
I think you point out a great need that many of us have experienced. For many people, a seed group is a lifeline; certainly it has been for me. I don't know if what you suggest is feasible or even possible, but I'll call Damh's attention to your post...perhaps he or someone else in the Office can address it.

I agree with zorro, it would have to be something people can choose to participate in if they wish to, but it might be good to do some thinking on it.

Thanks,
Selene
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 15 Mar 2007, 01:45

I would love something that would give us the option of finding others who would like to be found...Tarw Llwyd & I have a seed group of two, and know of nobody else in our area.

As to the ideas & particulars, I would have to leave that up to the experts!
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

wynyfryd
OBOD Bard

Postby wynyfryd » 15 Mar 2007, 06:14

I'd love it as well, and just added myself to the frappr map.
Wynyfryd<BR>

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 15 Mar 2007, 09:01

That frappr map is fantastic.  Thanks, RedKite.

Maybe it could be stickied in the links section or something.  I never knew about it before, but now I do I'm on it.  

Looks like the Hawklord is my closest neighbour so far.  Hi Robb.  :shake:

And you can put it on your website.  Sounds like a plan.  Then it might slowly reach more obodies than just this board.

damhbard
OBOD Druid

Postby damhbard » 15 Mar 2007, 10:12

Hi!
Always good to hear new ideas that help people share their spirituality. People are right with the difficulties of data protection, any system would have to be 'opt in' rather than 'opt out'. I'm wondering if all we need is to draw more attention to the Frappr map? The more people who join it, the more networking people will be able to do. Maybe it needs to be on a more prominent place, its URL added to the groups listing leaflet and a regular announcement in Touchstone. Make it a real part of the membership process and benefits. What do you think?
Peace
Damh

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 15 Mar 2007, 12:11

Something that can be incorporated into the new Druidspace site. perhaps?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

RedKite
OBOD Ovate

Postby RedKite » 15 Mar 2007, 12:32

Damh
Great idea - I fully understand the security problems of opt-out rather than opt-in.  If we could make Frappr a permanent feature of Touchstone - a sort of 'Meet other OBODies in your area' thingy.  Perhaps started off with a small feature explaining what it is etc.

John
Great idea too - with perhaps a few instruction for the ones of us who are not 'Internet Whizz Kids'.  :blink:

....and.... How about an ad on Radio Druid.... please....  :grin:
Image Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 15 Mar 2007, 14:57

John
Great idea too - with perhaps a few instruction for the ones of us who are not 'Internet Whizz Kids'.  :blink:

....and.... How about an ad on Radio Druid.... please....  :grin:
absolutely!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 15 Mar 2007, 15:18

I never knew about the Frappr map either!  More exposure would be great!  (Of the map, that is, not me!) :duck:
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

RedKite
OBOD Ovate

Postby RedKite » 15 Mar 2007, 15:23

I never knew about the Frappr map either!  More exposure would be great!  (Of the map, that is, not me!) :duck:
Actually.... by the look of your Avatar, you couldn't get much more exposure than that.

Love your hat by the way... did you knit it yourself ?
Image Image

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 15 Mar 2007, 15:34

I wonder what happened to the frappr map we had last year (http://www.druidry.org/board/viewtopic. ... ppr#170360)... I joined when it was created, but although the one you mention here has the same URL as the one from a year ago, I'm no longer on it... Do you get kicked off for not checking in occasionally?

Edit: Never mind...found myself hiding on p. 8, but no dot where I am...hmmm. Now, if I can just convince it I'm already a member so it'll put my dot back and quit bugging me about joining...
Last edited by Selene on 15 Mar 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 15 Mar 2007, 15:35

Redkite wrote:
Love your hat by the way... did you knit it yourself ?

What hat?  :blink:

GG (formerly known as poodlemama...thus the hairdo  :grin: )
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 15 Mar 2007, 15:41

I added myself to the map as well. Selene... is there any way to make this a sticky in the Announcements section or the Pub?
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 15 Mar 2007, 15:47

Sure, I can do that...but I'm still miffed that my dot is gone and the place, though it acknowledges me by name, keeps exhorting me to become a member... :gloomy:

But first, is this Frappr map for OBOD members only? If so, OBOD General would be better. Is someone screening the applicants?

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 15 Mar 2007, 16:20

Sure, I can do that...but I'm still miffed that my dot is gone and the place, though it acknowledges me by name, keeps exhorting me to become a member... :gloomy:

But first, is this Frappr map for OBOD members only? If so, OBOD General would be better. Is someone screening the applicants?
Why not just try joining again... I had to... :(

I think this is for OBODies only, since part of the pushpin process asks you if you are a Bard, Ovate or Druid. OBOD General would be a good place. Would an announcement with a link to the thread in the OBOD General be overkill?
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Amethyst
OBOD Druid

Postby Amethyst » 15 Mar 2007, 16:28

I just hopped over to your link Selene and found the Frappr map and added myself. The thread in General Announcements, though, must be buried somewhere. Any possibility of making it a sticky so others can find it?

(I've added myself, but not sure about all the 'approval' business mentioned in the GA thread. I put in my info and there I am... Perhaps if someone else could tell me what they see regarding my pin, I'll know if I've done it right!! :D )
Everything always works out more perfectly than I plan it.

RedKite
OBOD Ovate

Postby RedKite » 15 Mar 2007, 16:39

Hi Amethyst

All I can see when your box pops up is a Green spot where you live (north of 17 Ave SW)

Amethyst
Calgary, AB, Canada
(your avatar)
Greetings to all OBODies!

and in your photo section is two copies of your avatar

(Lailoken is in twice... in different places...?)
Image Image

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 15 Mar 2007, 16:44

I didn't know about this either! a link in OBOD General would be great!

I just joined. It didn't ask me for any proof I'm in OBOD, nor for my grade. I have a gold dot - the only gold dot I can see :blink:

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “Suggestions”