Pets and Wildlife forum

Make suggestions about the organization of this Board.
Elsbed
OBOD Bard

Pets and Wildlife forum

Postby Elsbed » 21 May 2008, 17:34

Hello! I recently re-registered on the boards after a long absence, so I'm hoping I'm not being presumptuous to make a suggestion...

My suggestion is that there be a separate forum or sub-forum for "animal action" type posts. When I entered the Pets and Wildlife forum, I was hoping to be inspired by the bond people have with pets and wildlife, photos of wildlife, etc. (that is how I remember it mostly being a couple of years ago). To see posts relating to "canine mutilations" "dog dying for art" and racehorses being slaughtered immediately bring down my vibe :gloomy: I'm not by any means saying that no attention should be paid to those issues, but perhaps they could be grouped together in another area?

I know I can always avoid reading them, bu† just seeing the headlines sometimes makes me almost physically ill. :-(

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: Pets and Wildlife forum

Postby Crystal Dragon » 22 May 2008, 14:40

Hello Elsbed and Welcome back :)

Thank you for posting your suggestion regarding the Pets & Wildife forum and I can see your point of view. I'm afraid I can not give you an answer at this time but Lady Nimue, Aigeann and I, will consider your suggestion further.

Blessings,

CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Postby Lady Nimue » 22 May 2008, 16:02

Yes, thank you for your suggestion.
We are now posting petitions re: abuse tc, in ACTION ALERTS rather than P&W. As far as the other threads, Im afraid some members feel it is important to the cause of animal welfare to post what is sometimes unpleasant.
Maybe we can put disclaimers in the thread titles.
A sub-forum is worth further discussion IMO. :)
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 22 May 2008, 16:15

I would support a separate Animal Action subforum under P&W. I understand how Elsbed feels...the issues are important, to be sure, but sometimes I simply cannot read some of that stuff and have stayed away from the forum just to avoid reading some of the topic names. On other days, in other moods, I read everything and follow any links for more information, but I think it would be good to allow people to pick their own time to delve into the more distressing aspects of our relationships with animals. :2cents:
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Postby Lady Nimue » 22 May 2008, 19:42

Brilliant Selene! And I luv the name you chose for the sub-form.Consider it in the works!
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.

Elsbed
OBOD Bard

Postby Elsbed » 22 May 2008, 21:16

Wonderful! :yay:

Like Selene, I was almost feeling like avoiding that forum at times...which I hate to do as there is so much inspiration to be had!

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 22 May 2008, 23:07

I wonder how many of us will simply ignore the sub forum, and continue to only read pleasant articles and posts about animals?

As Druids we learn to face the unpleasant, dark sides of our own lives and personalities. Most animals with human contact suffer from it. Humans abuse animals, eat them, hunt them for sport, subject them to cruel training as in many circuses, train dogs to kill one another, etc etc. Even a popular drug for menopause relies on the suffering of mares, kept confined so they can't move, thirsty, constantly pregnant. Don't get me started on veal!

Anyway, my point is that it's fine to hide away the pain of animals - we'll feel better because we can ignore it. That's what most humans do now.

Is this the best way for druids? Maybe we need to be more aware of the conditions humans create for animals, and take action. Our discomfort lasts a moment while the pain and suffering of animals lasts their entire lives.

Just something to think about.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Elsbed
OBOD Bard

Postby Elsbed » 23 May 2008, 13:57

Hi Donata,
I'm not suggesting we ignore it. It is there, all the time. For example, in my area cock fighting and dog fighting has been a problem. In my home state of Pennsylvania, puppy mills have been in the news recently. Local news stories have brought attention to these problems, which were previously "there" but people either didn't know or were ignoring it. Now there is tougher legislation for these crimes which IMO is wonderful. My feeling on the matter is that there are those for whom it is a calling to bring attention to animal abuse, child abuse, etc. I know people who gain strength and purpose from doing these things. I acknowledge there are horrific things going on to animals and humans alike, but I know myself enough to state that focusing on these things does not spur me into action, but instead lowers my emotional vibration to a point where I am not serving the animals or humans around me to the level I would like.

It is my belief that if it is the path of an individual to take up the sword against those who abuse animals, they will find the information and will be spurred to action regardless of where it is in a message board.

For those whose calling it is to take action in these matters, bless them. We all have a different lens looking out into the world.

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lady Nimue » 23 May 2008, 15:10

All points considered...it is being discussed. :)
Lady Nimue-

Return to “Suggestions”