Animal Totem/Guide Characteristics

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 08 Aug 2006, 09:21

Yes.  You have made me think.  I am lucky to have this happen to me as it did, and as soon as it did.  It must have been for a reason.  I ought to find out more about it and now I will.

Thanks and BB RF.

Shirley

Propheous

Postby Propheous » 09 Aug 2006, 04:43

Black Panther

My first totem was the black panther. It resembled the aspects of my solitary existance with out the need to be with others. It also spoke to me on the level of silent observation and survival through superior movement. The art of stealth the love of the shade and the ability to act independantly. She served me well for many years, and I fear now that she may be leaving me for a while atleast, though I hope not forever. It was all ways a thrill to walk by a field and see her bounding around there playing, or to feel the nudge on my hand as I was walking or resting wanting to be pet.

White Wolf

A new aspect of my life emerging only recently and rather by suprise is the presence of the white wolf active in my life. The social aspect of my being mixed with a much more open and bright spiritual center. The return of my presence in the world of spirits. I am still very much discovering the impact of her presence in my life. I hope I can honour and love her as I have the panther.

This thread is a wonderful thing. Finding the white wolf in somoene elses life and what they had to say about her has given me insight into what lays ahead for me with my new companion.

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 09 Aug 2006, 11:06

It is wonderful to see everyone connect with their guides and totems.

Shirley, dog is an excellent totem/guide. Dog teaches us unconditional love and how to forgive, among other things. They bring us psychic gifts that help us on our path. They are great listeners and guide us through tough times.

Propheous, a totem will always be with you. But at different times in our lives, one may not take center stage.  I notice that platypus and eagle have been much more observed for me. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to my intellect and emotions and how they interact.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

kangaroo dreaming

Postby wyeuro » 19 Aug 2006, 03:26

hi, i am western grey kangaroo dreaming.  that's not quite the same as a totem or guide.  it is that i am also a kangaroo.

the western grey kangaroo is the second tallest of the kangaroos, the red being the tallest, though mature males of both are over six feet tall and the western grey is thicker-set and the mature female greys are larger than the blue fliers, which are the females of the reds.  

aborigines don't have special names for male and female animals, because they know that they too are people, and they call the females women and the males men.  because they are accustomed to respect, affection and sacred relationships in which, while hunted as a part of the food web, they are always honoured, australian animals have an unusual dignity and presence of mind.  

people are often pleasantly shocked and awed by the sheer, mindful intelligence of kangaroos, although scientists can't account for this in view of their small brains.  but it's obvious to anyone who lives among them that they have a community with a structure of elders and holders of positions of responsibility and caring within it, with the women caring for the young, dealing with the land, big man kangaroos initiating the lads, good humour and mirth prevailing, and ritual fighting used to teach and develop each one's manhood.

young kangaroos are in the pouch for ten months, and once out, they stay for two and a half years with the mother, and it's astounding how much they get educated there.   they can sometimes be somewhat imperious when young (i know, i have raised orphan joeys in my handsewn patchwork pouch) but their mothers are powerful women and they bring their children up ( as aborigine women bring up theirs ) to be respectful and dignified.  

they communicate by telepathy, by scent and by sound, clicking their tongues and in extremity, snorting loudly, or growling morosely.  women defend their food (private affairs) rather fiercely sometimes. the boys and men are famed for their scent - some call them 'the stinker', although that is unjust.  they have a whole repertoire of perfumes and stinks for all occasions.  when frightened or angry, they smell of sump oil or curry, when feeling sociable, of chicken noodle soup, when feeling loved, milk chocolate, and at other times there's a whole array i could not identify. when playful, there's definitely something euphoric in their pheromones that makes everyone laugh - wouldn't be surprised if it contained nitrous oxide.  they're hilarious when they start clowning.

fighting among men is stylised, and takes place before the fathering of the young.  the competition is fierce, but isn't for the women, but for another purpose.  they form a lek (performance ground) far from the females (bullroarers and all), and fight in single combat, up on their tails, whapping feet and fists, and when one wins, the other drops his hands to the ground, and the big guy takes his applause before giving a gentle hug to the guy who fell.  this embrace acknowledges the inferiority of the power of the loser and bestows on him the superior power of the winner.  the champion of the year thus imparts his new power to all the fathers.  

the power is not just brute force, but the kangaroo has force in accord with his ability to drive most effectively the approriate narratives of the dreaming (a sort of deva but more), whose power he mediates better than that of the weaker ones.  

they then disperse and love matches are according to mutual, idiosyncratic delight in each other, on a totally egalitarian basis, not 'best boys' getting first pick of the 'best girls' or 'best girls' getting first pick of the champions.

when ill-feeling initiates fighting, peace-making ritual quickly puts a stop to it.  a large man kangaroo will take powerful control of the situation and patting the ground, insist that all should graze peacefully together. i learnt this early as my lads grew to shoulder height and started to assert themselves, feet and fists, at me (they have sharp claws and can slash if you're not careful) that all i had to do as a 'kangaroo' whom he respected was to lean down and pat the ground firmly and form in my mind the clear command to 'graze together' and all hostility would fade.

this too has a counterpart in aborigine politics.

between kangaroo and kangaroo dreaming humans there's a spirit that both have as part of the self, which is neither kangaroo nor human but can manifest as either.  when a kangaroo encounters a human she knows she often flashes images of her human woman self, often but not always an aborigine, and this may address the human using human speech.  they make you be temporarily telepathic and you hear them speak, often in arundta (where i am) or in pidgin. she is often proud of her new joey, and likes to show it off, pushing it partway out of the pouch for the human to see.  in some aboriginal languages, this soul persona is called the murrup.

what powers does a kangaroo dreaming person have in greater measure than others?  respectfulness, peace-making politics, generosity of spirit, and perspicacity.  kangaroos can see through bushes.  they can take the scattered light rays reaching them through bushes too dense for a human to see through from something they fear, and although few of them come directly from the object they can trace the scattered rays back to their source though they may have been bent and bounced off many twigs and leaf-edges and correctly reconstruct the image of the source.  or in other words, see.    

in human terms this translates into the skills of the aborigine tracker, who can track where no visible trace is, and who are famous for stopping in the track of a lost child, invisible to all but himself, and say here he got thirsty and stopped to smell for water, here he felt sad, and started to cry, here he turned right, fearing the forest, here he stood and considered turning back.  looks like magic, but he's really reading traces that others can't read, the echos of other people's souls, still held in the auras of stone and tree.  

this is a faculty that can be used in druidry, too, respectfully to reconstruct the past, through the traces that remain and so reunite our spirituality with that of the gods and ancestors of ancient times, to heal our 'wounded king' and restore the pathways of love and knowledge, power and healing, and wisdom for all time.

and of course, rain-making.  i often find myself doing rain-making things and am conscious that my kangaroo brothers and sisters out there in the scrub and in the towns in shops and schools and offices, and in tribal lands outback, are doing it too.  :grin: |-)  :gloomy:  |-)  :grin:

faults?  of course.  initiation as a kangaroo dreaming human being includes a detailed account of possible defects of character and rituals to contain and correct them.  kangaroo dreaming people have a lively awareness of the need for humility, deference and patience, and kindliness and responsibility towards the weak.  this in turn modifies the dreaming, and so the kangaroo, there on the ground.  

with the blessing of my kangaroo brother who helped me write this and my murrup, my kangaroo soul,

wyverne /|\

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 19 Aug 2006, 04:03

Thank you for sharing that, Wyeuro! How amazing! I didn't know much about kangaroos. They seem to be marvelous, intelligent animals. What an incredible social structure they have! If only  we humans were so organized.

How fortunate you are to be accepted as a dreaming kangaroo.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 19 Aug 2006, 04:50

thanks, Donata!  
It's always nice to see your face there!
I forgot to add, well I thought i'd already said enough, but there was one thing more i wanted to say.  an anthropologist friend of mine, a wiccan, doing research into pagan practices concerning the environment, was asking me about the tiny aborigine fairy people, and i gave her a dreamtime story to read about them.  it was a typical story: these crow people wanted something and the pelican people wanted something else, so they asked the snake who sent them to the terrapin etc etc, and in the middle of reading it the anthropologist looked up in amazement and said: are these animals or people?  the raven is one moment picking up her digging stick and walking into the scrub to get yams, and the next minute flying to the treetop to see where the snake might be. the terrapin hunts with spear like a man, and then retires to his watery nest like a terrapin to escape the crows. and it's true.  narrative lines cut across species as easily as you'd cross the street in these stories.  it's not shapeshifting, but recognises that the narratives of our lives are continuum with the greater narrative or dreaming that all beings participate in. we, hunting, having jobs, going for trips abroad etc, are manifesting the same immanent narrative that the crows flying to treetops, the terrapin seeking his safety, and the kangaroo, licking out her pouch for the next joey, and thus our personalities and souls and spirituality is continuum with theirs.  sitting here now, typing, i am also scratching up roots with my kangaroo claws, and it isn't that the two are one, but that the one is both of us, and ultimately the ONE the Alcheringa, is all of us.  

awen

wyverne

Chestnut

Postby Chestnut » 19 Aug 2006, 18:38

The Magpie

Related to the crow the magpie is an intelligent and adaptable bird.  Ancient folklore associated with the magpie suggests that when two or more fly into ones life good fortune is coming soon.  Since magpies are opportunists and seldom miss a chance to get something for nothing those with this medicine should pay attention to subtle omens that appear in their life then act accordingly so opportunities are not missed.  The magpie asks us to wake up and be conscious in every area of our life.

Magpies are curious and have a reputation for steeling anything that they can carry away.  They use whatever they find and teach us how to be resourceful.  Magpie medicine people have the ability to succeed in life.  Those with this totem are usually eclectic and able to draw on a variety of resources to assist them in their pursuits. Being able to adapt to different situations in a spontaneous way is one of the magpies strongest attributes. Those with this totem often find that their interests are varied which make master ship of any one thing difficult although not impossible.

Magpies are extremely vocal especially in groups.  They help those with this medicine learn how to use their voice to attract attention, attain desired goals as well as acquire respect from others.  This applies only if this medicine is developed sufficiently.  Otherwise the voice and its expression may need improvement for positive results to be obtained. Proper communication is one of the lessons that needs to be learned by magpie medicine people .

The black and white coloring of the magpie associates them to the world of magic, prophecy and witchcraft.  They know how to live within the light and the dark simultaneously and understand the pros and cons of both.  Magic is symbolic of creation.  Occult knowledge must be understood fully before it can be used in a beneficial way. Those with this totem have the opportunity of creating a new and better life for themselves once they develop their psychic gifts completely and use those gifts with pure intention and self less service. Past life ties regarding the misuse of magic are common amongst magpie medicine people.  The gift of a new creation will be offered to you only when you are ready.  When the magpie flies into your life, get ready, your about to embark into the world of opportunity.

:D

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 19 Aug 2006, 18:50

Hi wyeuro,

What a holistic way to live life! I think we've become blocked by our western world view, our education, etc. to what is really natural for other peoples. We've lost a great deal in the process.

As Druids, Witches, shamans, and others we're working to reclaim this birthright and bring it into  our awareness as a natural instrinsic part of life.

Since I moved to my little woods (13 yrs ago!) I have a deeper connection with nature than when I lived in a city, and can feel the oneness that really does exist. I sense oneness with the trees about me, and hear them, and can feel myself swaying in the breeze, and mourning with them for the loss of my brothers & sisters - cut down for no apparent reason by my neighbor.

I don't see many animals, because Tara (my German Shepherd) barks and keeps them away most of the time. Sometimes I see deer, wild turkeys, always squirrels and chipmunks, and the occasional coyote back in the woods. Many birds - they love the feeder just outside my kitchen window. The mourning doves have a claim on it bad weather (it's protected by sloping eaves) unless the noisy Blue Jays come around!

Thank you for your sharing - it's a wakeup call to the awareness possible for us all.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

ImageImage ImageImage

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 20 Aug 2006, 01:10

thanks Donata - really took me there!. :hug:

StormWolf
OBOD Druid

Re: kangaroo dreaming

Postby StormWolf » 01 Sep 2006, 11:28

hi, i am western grey kangaroo dreaming.  that's not quite the same as a totem or guide.  it is that i am also a kangaroo.
My totems are wolf, and dragon. They have both been with me for a long time, though I became aware of the dragon first (how could you NOT be aware of a dragon!  :-) )

I wondered for a while if it was right. Like wyeuro I am from Australia. I thought perhaps I should have Aussie animals as my totems, that maybe there was something wong. But nothing felt right, except the dragon and wolf. (Mind you, what is the Rainbow Serpent but an earth dragon!)

The wolf (female) I feel is a companion and teacher. She is a grey wolf.
The dragon (male) I feel is a protector. If I feel I need to protect myself or my home, I place an egg-shaped shield around me. I call it 'the dragon's egg. I'm not sure of his colour, he seems to change.
StormWolf

Selchie

Postby Selchie » 02 Sep 2006, 18:34

An experience related to guides and totems to share with you all... a bit long, but I hope interesting enough for you to bear with me.

When I was four years old, I had a near-drowning experience. Out with my uncle and some other relatives in a field by a river, I slipped and fell into the water. I can remember very little about the experience. However, my aunt tells me that when I was pulled out of the river by my uncle, I was struggling to try to get back in. All the way home I was crying about leaving the "water dog".

In my teens and twenties, all my friends called me "Otter" due to my constant hankering for and love of swimming in rivers, and when I found my guide and teacher it was not much of a surprise that he was Otter. When my uncle died recently, my aunt told me about the near-drowning in the river and I realised that Otter had been with me for more years than I realised :D

On a more powerful note (for me, anyway), it was through Otter that I first connected to deity. A while back, I was living in a rough part of London near the Thames. I was pretty much at rock bottom in my life, and did occasional stints working in a dive of a bar right by the river. One autumn night I was walking along by an old dock after leaving the bar sometime before dawn when I was attacked by a gang of four men. I was pretty much beaten to a pulp and - after gaining three broken ribs, a broken nose, a dislocated shoulder, a stab wound and some internal injuries - I somehow managed to make a break for it. I could have tried to run for it (my legs were without injury) but something told me different: I dived into the freezing water of the dock. Rationally, it was a bizarre thing to do but Otter's voice wasn't to be denied. The police afterwards told me that it probably saved me - the attackers would have caught me if I'd have run.

I was in the freezing water for a while, possibly about an hour, when a man walking his dog saw me with my arm curled around a ladder up the side of the dock, and called an ambulance. I was pretty much incoherent when the ambulance crew got me out, and I had hypothermia (to add insult to injury) and subsequently developed a whole host of interesting and colourful secondary infections because of all the crap in the Thames water. In an echo of the near-drowning as a child, I was shouting at the ambulance crew to leave me alone, to leave me in the water.

While I was in the water clinging to the ladder, Otter came to me with another 'spirit'. I thought I was going to die there - and it felt like a fitting end to my life at the time - but this 'spirit' told me I had a choice: hold on and live and go back to my life, or just let go and slip away into the water. I made my choice - I wanted the comfort and oblivion of the water, to go with Otter. However, when I tried to let go, my arm was so cold I couldn't release my hold on the ladder - I was stuck there.

Because of that choice to let go and go into the water, the 'spirit' who I came to know as Manawyddan has been with me ever since. Only in small ways and glimpses at first, but more recently in full view. His and Otter's lessons have led me to experience this beautiful world in a whole new way. It's he who first called me 'Selchie' - his gentle humour about the choice I made: longing for the water but unable to let go of the land :)

On a more day-to-day level, it's Otter who reminds me of Joy. He teaches me that if I'm going to do anything, to do it with joy - not just with happiness, but the vital vibrancy of lived experience in a bloody beautiful world. And for pity's sake PLAY A LITTLE :yay:

A bit long, but that's the first time I've shared my personal Otter story with anyone - I may as well tell the whole thing!

Selchie

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 02 Sep 2006, 18:40

Hi Selchie,

Thank you for that deeply meaningful sharing! what a wonderful relationship you have with Otter! you  point out what others have said here, that our Guides are with us from birth, and that we are the ones who don't realize it.

You received some profound lessons - that we always have a choice, that the gods/guides won't force us, etc. It's interesting that you made a choice but  your body wouldn't let you follow thru on it!

I'm glad you stuck around - thanks again.

BB
Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Soulsearching

Animal Totems

Postby Soulsearching » 14 Sep 2006, 15:35

How can I tell if the animal is a totem or a guide? My whole life I have been drawn to the cat family with my favorites being the bangle tiger and a lynx. About a year ago I had a friend who has been wicca for many years tell me my totem was a falcon. I have tried to research on a falcon and find almost nothing. Other than alot of their traits fit me. Can anyone help me out with the information on a falcon?

I also wanted to ask for feed back on a man that has been a guide to me. When I was a teenager I had a dream, I was sitting in the middle of a forest in a place I had never been there was a campfiore before me I could smell the wood in it, and smell the meat that was cooking over it. I was wearing a beautiful long very full dress made of wine colored velvet. I was talking with an old man. He had beautiful sparkling brown eyes and a long grey beard and long white/grey hair. He moved remarkably for his age (around 80) We talked of many things but he did not speak english. I had a hard time understanding him. He would tell me that I have forgotten my roots and I needed to get back to them. I later learned the language he spoke was Gaelic. He would appear to me mostly when I was going through bad times, he woudl sit and talk or hold my hand or take me to other places. In every encounter with him I could feel, smell, taste and touch everything it made it very hard to determine if it was a dream or if it really happened. As I got older he brought with him a beautiful grey and black wolf and an eagle, sometimes a doe would accompany him.  How do I enterpret this? He never really gave me a name for him but he called me "Gar Gael Mo Chroi" (interpretation please?)
Id this a spirit guide or just some of the most fantic dreams of my life? I should also say the wolf and eagle and doe still come to me on occasion. Any oppions or help with answering all these questions is appreciated

Define Normal, you can't what you view as normal is completely strange to someone else, this does not make them or you wrong just different!!

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 15 Sep 2006, 01:28

hi soul-searching,
this is a wonderful awareness you've got of this guide.  could the phrase he calls you by be 'graghal mo chroi'?  graghal probably means grail, as in holy grail, and mo chroi means my heart, a term of endearment. it's the name of an irish woman in a very famous and beautiful song.  here the words:

at the foot of nuri mountains where the clear waters flow
there lives a fair lassie more whiter than snow
she is slender i the waist for all young men to see
and her name in plain irish is graghal mo chroi

one fine summer's morning as i wonned along
down by a clear river i heard a fine song
it was this fair lassie and her voice it was clear
saying how happy i'd be if my own love were here

o her hair hung in ringlets and she wore a silk gown
like a sheet of white paper her neck and breast down
her cheeks were like roses her eyes like two sloes
she's a pattern of virtue wherever she goes.

a few moments after her love he passed by
with his red rosy cheeks and his roving dark eye
with his black curling hair round his head like a crown
and i knew by his countenance that he's been to town.

then they both went along to a shade that was green
there was nothing but ivy so plain to be seen
and this was her whole song, o love, come away,
for in these lonesome places no longer i'll stay.

o if i had all the money in king james's store
and if i had all the gold upon africa's shore
i would give it to my own love, for to me she's been true
to our friends and relations we'll now bid adieu.

o the ships on the ocean will go without sails,
and the smallest of fishes turn into great whales,
in the middle of the ocean there will grow an apple tree
ere ever i'd prove false to my graghal mo chroi.

the clancy brothers and tommy makem did a version of this about 40 years ago and they're currently being re-released according to a quick google if you want to know the melody.  

best wishes.  

wyverne /|\

Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Postby Alasdair » 15 Sep 2006, 02:47

Tiger Medicine - I only recently learned that Tiger has been with me my entire life.  Tigers have always been my favorite animal.. and initially it was simply because of their beauty.  They always seemed so fiery, and 1/2 of me is very fiery.  On the contrary, Tigers are nocturnal hunters, so tiger has taught me that I will get work done effectively at night time.  This could not be more true for me.  I cannot do work if the sun is up.. it just doesn't work.  I get depressed for being inside when it's so nice out.  

There are also the other traditional aspects that people usually associated with tiger.  These are power, ferocity, ruthlessness, single mindedness, stealth.  I think that these have also had an impact on me as well.. Although I was small my entire life (And still am, at 6'1" and only about 135 lbs).  When I was younger (highschool probably) I was very small, only about 5'3" and 100 pounds TOPS, probably not even triple digits.  Funny thing is, I was feared by people when we would play fight, just because I was quick and 'ferocious' according to them.  I would attack strategically and quickly.  The same is true of the tiger.  The silent hunter, who attacks slowly and strategically.

One of the most important things i've learned has actually been from tiger.  It was a lesson on being aware.  Always to be mindful in whatever it is I do.. always notice where the sun is, where the wind is blowng, how the air smells, where sounds are coming from and how far they are.  Things like these have made an enormous change in my life.. it's crazy.

On the other side of the spectrum from ferocity and ruthlessness, tiger has also taught me the value of sensuality.  Tigers, like many large mammals stay with their young for months and teach them to hunt and survive.  Cats in general always like to rub against each other, or scratch their backs on trees, and this is where sensuality comes in.  Apparently, this is a major characteristic of Taurus personalities, so this is definitely accurate in me.  

So, tiger in a nutshell for me: Strength, power, ferocity, stealth and silence, slow and tactical hunting, sensuality, fatherhood/motherhood, nocturnal power, fiery personality.  Tigers are also good swimmers, so there is also that connection to the realm of emotions.
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

StormWolf
OBOD Druid

Postby StormWolf » 17 Sep 2006, 12:07

That is a lovely poem wyeuro!

Alasdair - when I was a child I apparently had an invisible friend, a tiger who lived under the lounge!  I don't remember myself, but this is what my parents tell me!
StormWolf

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 20 Sep 2006, 22:48

every meditation I have been through, I have been accompanied by a Red Female Fox.  I have found a few things that describe the Fox totem as Cunning, Feminine Magic, Protector, and diplomacy.  I am seeking more information
You posted your question a long time ago, but here's hoping you're still reading this... I've been guided by Fox too, a red one, but its gender is not clear; it seems more male.

I would highly recommend Ted Andrews' books on animal magic for more info on Fox.

Also, consider the characteristics of foxes themselves: they're liminal creatures (they are often seen on the edges of two different kinds of spaces, e.g. where forest meets meadow; also, they live underground but spend most of their time above ground); they are EXTREMELY adaptable, being found in every conceivable climate--even the red fox is found all over the place; they are NOT pack animals, unlike wolves, but rather alternate between solitude and (more often) family; they are brilliantly colored and beautiful but still somehow manage to keep themselves unseen--they're not often seen; they combine canine and feline characteristics; and so on... do research on the characteristics of foxes, and you'll find out a lot that can help you understand what Fox is here to help you with.

ita

Postby ita » 22 Sep 2006, 15:27

I have a strong bond with cats...

When-ever I`m lost,I follow the (mostly) Black cat,that being on a poster or a live one,and I always find my way...
He  also confirm me when I have doubts...

The Raven I have seen twice,when I burned levaes... One time he was a eagle that turned into a raven...

And once I had a Jaguar warrior as a guide by my side... I get goose bombs when I see them....

But I don`t know if any of them are my totem... They are in my life...
I`m a magnet to all animals...
Magic is comparable to the great sun of the ages,wich ever shines bright in the infinite sky.
It is not the fault of the sun if we cannot see it,it is due to own lack of vision...

hitenshi

Postby hitenshi » 26 Sep 2006, 21:34

Mine have always been horse - which I work with in real life, hawk, and wolf.

Lately a lion has popped up during meditation, but seems to want to play more than anything.  :oops:  Or maybe I'm just not communicating well enough.

Rocas Faol 777

Postby Rocas Faol 777 » 03 Nov 2006, 00:07

Greetings

I realize that this is an old thread and that no one has left their footprints in this soil for some time, but I just found it and thought I would add a little bit.  A resource that I found many years ago that was of great value to me was Medicine Cards--The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals (Copyright ©1988-2006 David Carson).  Within you will find much of the wisdom and teachings on the animal spirits taught traditionally complimented by beautifully artistic renderings of the related animals.

This was my animal oracle before the creation of the Druid Animal Oracle, and is still put to use today for personal use and sharing.  I did, and still do, use it as an assistant to understand and explain the wisdom shared with me during my shamanic training under Chief Lone Wolf, which it compliments rather fluidly.

I am also including here an excerpt on Crow Medicine.  The Crow Spirit has been mentioned here already, but without much body and detail (imo).  Since I am introducing this tool and Crow Spirit is one of my major totems, I thought I would share the wisdom of Crow Medicine from this source to add a bit of depth.  Here is some of the wisdom Mr. Carson has to share by way of Crow Spirit:

Law

Crow...
   Are you "cawing"
      So I may know,
          The secrets of balance,
                Within my soul?

Or are you sending,
      Your sacred "caw"
          Just to remind me,
               Of universal laws?

There is a medicine story that tells of Crow's fascination with her own shadow. She kept looking at it, scratching it, pecking at it, until her shadow woke up and became alive.  Then Crow's shadow ate her.  Crow is Dead Crow now.

Dead Crow is the Left-Handed Guardian.  If you look deeply into Crow's eye, you will have found the gateway to the supernatural.  Crow knows the unknowable mysteries of creation and is the keeper of all sacred law.

Since Crow is the keeper of sacred law, Crow can bend the laws of the physical universe and "shape shift."  This ability is rare and unique.  Few adepts exist in today's world, and fewer still have mastered Crow's art of shape shifting.  This art includes doubling, or being in two places at one time consciously; taking on another physical form, and becoming the "fly on the wall" to observe what is happening far away.

The Europeans that came to Turtle Island were named the "boat people" by Slow Turtle.  Even with the knowledge of alchemy possessed by certain boat people, none had ever seen the powerful shape shifting of shamans who utilized Crow medicine.  Many boat people were frightened by what appeared to be animals coming into their camps or dwellings to discern their medicine.  Crow medicine people are masters of illusion.

All sacred texts are under the protection of Crow.  Creator's Book of Laws or Book of Seals is bound in Crow feathers.  Crow feathers tell of spirit made flesh.  Crow is also the protector of the "ogallah" or ancient records.

The Sacred Law Belts, or Wampum Belts, beaded by native women long before the boat people or Europeans came to this continent, contain knowledge of the Great Spirit's laws, and are kept in the Black Lodges, the lodges of women.  The law which states that "all things are born of women" is signified by Crow.

Children are taught to behave according to the rules of a particular culture.  Most orthodox religious systems create a mandate concerning acceptable behavior within the context of worldly affairs.  Do this and so, and you will go to heaven.  Do thus and so, and you will go to hell.  Different formulas for salvation are demanded by each "true faith."

Human law is not the same as Sacred Law.  More so than any other medicine, Crow sees that the physical world and even the spiritual world, as humanity interprets them, are an illusion.  There are billions of worlds.  There are an infinitude of creatures.  Great Spirit is within all.  If an individual obeys Crow's perfect laws as given by the Creator, then at death he or she dies a Good Medicine death -- going on to the next incarnation with a clear memory of his or her past.

Crow is an omen of change.  Crow lives in the void and has no sense of time.  The Ancient Chiefs tell us that Crow sees simultaneously the three fates -- past, present and future.  Crow merges light and darkness, seeing both inner and outer reality.

If Crow medicine appears in your card spread, you must pause and reflect on how you see the laws of the Great Spirit in relation to the laws of humanity.  Crow medicine signifies a firsthand knowledge of a higher order of right and wrong than that indicated by the laws created in human culture.  With Crow medicine, you speak in a powerful voice when addressing issues that for you seem out of harmony, out of balance, out of whack, or unjust.

Remember that Crow looks at the world with first one eye, and then the other- cross-eyed.  In the Mayan culture, cross-eyeds had the privilege and duty of looking into the future.  You must put aside your fear of being a voice in the wilderness and "caw" the shots as you see them.

As you learn to allow your personal integrity to be your guide, your sense of feeling alone will vanish.  Your personal will can then emerge so that you will stand in your truth.  The prime path of true Crow people says to be mindful of your opinions and actions.  Be willing to walk your talk, speak your truth, know your life's mission, and balance past, present, and future in the now.  Shape shift that old reality and become your future self.  Allow the bending of physical laws to aid in creating the shape shifted world of peace.

52 Medicine Cards are included and detailed with the book, check it out.

Good Hunting
Circle of the Four Dragons

Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain..." - It's time to toss the dice...

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”