Hawk symbolism

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Brigantia
OBOD Bard

Hawk symbolism

Postby Brigantia » 27 Nov 2010, 04:35

I've always been aware of hawks and frequently have them fly directly at me when driving. This started on the east coast but it's still happening now that I've moved to Colorado. One day recently I thought that I hadn't seen a hawk in 4 days and one immediately flew over me.

So, the big question is.....what is the symbolism of the hawk, especially in a druidic sense?

Bennachta

SilverLeaf
OBOD Bard

Re: Hawk symbolism

Postby SilverLeaf » 26 Mar 2011, 03:47

I have always known the hawk to represent Truth. Often times I discover something or wish to confirm something and usually my instinct is truth when the hawk flys by or speaks up at the perfect moment. Due to the hawks incredible eyesight he teaches us to "SEE". To know truth, one must be able to see clearly and the hawk helps us to do so. The Hawk is a wonderful guide to have protecting you and to let you know if you're missing something. :wink: This is how I read the Hawk. I hope this helps you.

Blessings,
SilverLeaf

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 26 Mar 2011, 12:56

Birds of prey often hang around roads.
Those that eat carrion get free lunch from all our road kill. The hunters know that small tasty rodents are easier to catch in open ground so they wait for them to make the risky crossing over our conveniently flat, smooth roads.

IMO the 'Druidic' component of your experience starts with you and not the hawk. Most people who identify their spiritual path as 'Druidic' are deliberately trying to be more sensitive to the natural world, and often start to notice things like animals and plants and clouds and trees etc. We like to ascribe meanings to things that we see, and once you see something a few times, you start to look for it. Many animals have archetypal meanings, in other words, meanings that have been ascribed to them for so long that none of us know why. The rarer an animal is, the more intensely meaningful their appearance is usually thought.

Then, of course, it might be simply that hawks that you see just hate cars and are trying to get them to go away so they can hunt in peace... :wink:

nerithedeerfairy

Postby nerithedeerfairy » 28 Jun 2011, 05:39

the hawks might be depressed
we had a friend who was a shaman, went by the name of three hawks, he was a deep guy but he was manic depressive, he was really cool though, and wise, we had a band for a little while, i guess a punk rock band... hope your doing well three hawks wherever you are out there! rockin it!

we love you hawks, we love you nature, we love you all beings! because you are us and we are you!
be yourself, overcome peerpressure :), I love the Sun

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 28 Jun 2011, 15:59

I have always known the hawk to represent Truth. Often times I discover something or wish to confirm something and usually my instinct is truth when the hawk flys by or speaks up at the perfect moment. Due to the hawks incredible eyesight he teaches us to "SEE". To know truth, one must be able to see clearly and the hawk helps us to do so. The Hawk is a wonderful guide to have protecting you and to let you know if you're missing something. :wink: This is how I read the Hawk. I hope this helps you.

Blessings,
SilverLeaf

Silverleaf,

I really love your view here. I see hawks often here on a farm in Mills River where I live. I will think of you and your wonderful insight here when I next see one.

Have a wonderful day!
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Jaguar
OBOD Bard

Postby Jaguar » 07 Jul 2011, 01:51

To the native poeple in my area of the US, hawks are messengers from Spirit, so when I see them I pay attention to what I was thinking about right before they appeared and what comes to mind right after. I've gotten a l ot of insights into issues that I needed assistance with in this manner. I also see them when I'm feeling a little discounnected from the natural world and they help to remind me that we are all one.

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”