A lesson from Pan

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

A lesson from Pan

Postby Petrichor » 08 Jun 2013, 10:27

My journey is constantly pulling me closer and closer to the heart of the Great Mother.
At times I feel I am becoming truly one with Nature and especially when I am interacting with my Garden.
My bees land on me without stinging or I hold out my hand and they will land on it knowing no fear.

No creature here is harmed - we have everything from ants to deadly snakes - and all are welcome in this sacred place ( we call Rivendell ).
We have visitors from time to time like Hawks and Currawongs that look to take a tasty meal from our haven - I have often asked them to show restraint and take only what they need ...... even they are a blessing although they enter our space to do harm.

All this has been given to me and my family to enjoy but I have become too complacent - thinking somehow that it all belongs to me, or that I am responsible for its endless beauty and depth.
I call the bees - my bees. I call the garden - my garden.
I didn't even know this about myself before today.

The morning had been inspirational with some early winter sunshine - the colors and vitality about right now are nothing less than awe inspiring.
I decided to get out into the garden and clean things up, maybe throw some mulch around the place and provide a pick-me-up for the plants in the form of a molasses drink.
I was really motivated to get out there amongst it.

After about 5 minutes I noticed a couple of bees buzzing around me quite aggressively.
This slowly got worse and more bees joined the efforts to get me out of the garden.
I couldn't understand this ..... so I gave it a while then returned - only to find the bees moving me back again with incredible purpose.

I was upset that my own garden was keeping me away ?

Sitting quietly to one side I tried to tune in to what was going on when I felt the presence of Pan.
Pan and I have an unusual relationship - mainly because of my ignorance and fears ...... but to me he always seems to come across as a "bully"
Most of the time I fear him - especially at night.

He wanted to know why I thought that this garden belonged to me and admitted to sending the bees to wake me up.
The work that I had done was appreciated but I should not think that it or I was anything special.
He would not acknowledge that I had any closeness with Nature because he does not trust Humans and would not trust me because I am Human.
Terrible harm is being done at present and Humans don't seem to care much about it.
He said I had adequate power to heal this situation but I was doing nothing about it and this confused him about me so that's why he wanted me to know I could not own or take any credit for Nature.

Pan left as quickly and mysteriously as he arrived.
Realizations can often leave you a little thin - and I felt upset that once again my ignorance had left me blind and heading in the wrong direction.

I went back out into the garden later on in the afternoon and the bees had gone - I felt a quiet loneliness .... but I was free to mix in with the plants and do my work at least knowing that I was accepted once again ........... but hopefully a little wiser

Blessings
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

DebMc
OBOD Bard

Re: A lesson from Pan

Postby DebMc » 08 Jun 2013, 21:09

Thank for your courageous and insightful post.

I have had similar experiences, long before beginning training, which taught me to be humble and to not expect pats on the head for doing what Spirit requires of me - like give back instead of always taking. I can be so selfish and so lazy sometimes.

I have recently discovered that it's not a good idea to be condescending towards those guides and guardians who appear, or to try to wrap myself in ideas of my own specialness because they're there for me.

Finally, the minute I start thinking in terms of "MY" anything, poof! the magic goes out of the world and I feel bereft.

I hope my sharing builds fellowship!

Blessings of the New Moon!

Deborah

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Re: A lesson from Pan

Postby Petrichor » 09 Jun 2013, 00:04

The fact that we possess a soul shows me the wonderful bridge that has been created to link the physical to the spiritual.
I can't imagine what life would be like if all we did was exist for some task - like a machine .....

Always trying to answer that old question - why am I here, what is my purpose is a motivation in itself and I see it alive as well in my own children.

What bugs me is when things get in the way like, duty or responsibility - stopping you following the calling ( like cleaning up that grove or starting that seed group ) but I know we cannot be thinking just about our own plans and desires - even if these things are rooted in helping and caring for others or nature.

The old saying about Love being something you can only give is so true - because when you give it you receive it.
To expect such things will only isolate you from that outcome you desire most.

The garden gives me so much vitality and balance and I will be out there again today while this weather is so inspiring ( if not a little cold ).
I'm presently building a seed shed where I want to store all the seed collected from the plants to propagate for next season.
Currently we have been buying seedlings to plant each year but letting the plants create the next generation themselves not only saves money but makes for a stronger and healthier garden.

Thanks for your thoughts m'lady and I wish you a great day
From the South ....

Petrichor.
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”