The Wise Old Buzzard

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
NitaraRoseBubastis
OBOD Bard

The Wise Old Buzzard

Postby NitaraRoseBubastis » 23 Aug 2013, 00:01

Hello everyone!

I just experienced my first shamanic journey. My meditations until then were often journey-like in nature but this was my first time actually knowingly following shamanic protocol for a meditation. I specifically set out on a journey to recognize my power animal so that I may learn and improve myself, in the name of Good and Light. On this journey, as I hear it often happens, I saw a very unexpected animal. This was a buzzard. I must admit, this is an animal that often makes me uncomfortable when I see him in the physical world. The first time I saw him, he flew away, and I was relieved. I saw him again, in a tree, and kept walking. Then I saw him once more. Finally he was in the air above me and I called to him, asking if he was the power animal I was seeking. He answered that he was, and he invited me to sit with him in a bare tree ahead. I was somehow no longer afraid.

I want to take this time to introduce everyone else to the buzzard, and share what I have learned.

THE BUZZARD
The scientific name for the Turkey Vulture is CATHARTES AURA which means GOLDEN PURIFIER. The buzzard purifies the land through its actions, and as such he is a symbol of purification for the mind, body and spirit. He is a symbol of patience, vigilance and intuition. He soars through the sky without wasting his energy, and as a totem or power animal he will teach others to use their own energy as efficiently as possible. Buzzard is a bird of great strength but he never uses that strength to kill.

In the context of Greek Mythology the buzzard is a descendent of the Gryphon and in this context is he a symbol of balance and oneness, such as the balance between "good and evil" or "spirit and matter". Because the vulture is closely associated with the sense of smell, he is also a strong teacher for a student looking to heighten other senses (such as the ability to sense auras).

Ultimately, the buzzard is a permanent presence. Like life and death, like balance, like change and truth, the buzzard power animal remains with you through multiple lifetimes. He is steadfast is his responsibility as a teacher and a guardian and he will remain at your side to guide you as long as his lessons are needed.

I am proud to say that I have met the buzzard, and that I have left my fear of him behind. I am ready now to accept the lessons I will be learning further along my path.

Thanks for reading!
Nitara
/|\

SOURCES
http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems ... _birds.htm
http://sped2work.tripod.com/totem.html
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/vulture.htm

“I promise myself that I will enjoy every minute of the day that is given me to live.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh

RedSky
Deceased

Re: The Wise Old Buzzard

Postby RedSky » 23 Aug 2013, 01:33

the sense of smell is certainly one of the 5 senses and buzzards have it in spades.One of my spirit allies is dog.
they also have keen sense of smell. It helped me reflect on why I think some smells are good or bad when to dog
they are just smells though I have known them to recoil at some synthetic man made smells. This teaches me
to not be judgmental but rather to experience without categorizing and thinking. Just smell or feel or hear or see
or taste.

peace

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Aug 2013, 02:25

Interesting way of dealing with 'bad smells'...sometimes I try to think about why I consider something painful, and then the pain doesn't bother me so much.

NitaraRoseBubastis
OBOD Bard

Postby NitaraRoseBubastis » 23 Aug 2013, 03:21

Great insight for sure! Aphritha, I totally understand this outlook on pain. It's difficult to put into practice but what a zen approach for dealing with any sensory overload. Definitely some wisdom Dog can help us with! :) thank you both for sharing!

“I promise myself that I will enjoy every minute of the day that is given me to live.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”