Dreaming, journeying and sleep

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
xidia
OBOD Ovate

Dreaming, journeying and sleep

Postby xidia » 25 Nov 2014, 22:47

It feels recently as if I've been journeying instead of dreaming - my "dreams" have much more of the quality of a journey than the utterly, hilariously surreal things I've dreamed for most of my life. I've had the distinct sensation of journeying as I've drifted off to sleep a few times, and on occasion woken back up and jolted back to ordinary reality.

Is this even possible, journeying while sleeping? If not, what am I doing? And if it is possible, any ideas on how to harness or stop it? Perhaps just setting strong intent before going to sleep?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Dreaming, journeying and sleep

Postby ShadowCat » 26 Nov 2014, 08:05

It is very well possible. I do it too and I know that those can be nights when you can wake up even more tired then before you went to bed. I think it's in the same family as "knowing that you are dreaming" or lucid dreaming. Whether it's just a neurological thingy or "real", I don't know and I don't particularly care. Just as it is with journeying: it might be "real", it might be just "advanced daydreaming"... In my book it can be both.

I've found that some things stimulate the occurrance: If I take a herbal sleeping aid containing hops, if I'm very tired and/or overstimulated, when using particular scented oils in the evening (clary sage is a notorious one), after a night out with alcohol flowing, when sleeping in certain places. I also find a pattern that it occurs more both on full moon nights and dark moon nights, and lesser when the moon is waxing or waning.

If I really don't want it, by now (having over 8 years of regular nights like this) I can call myself back in my sleep. In the beginning I would just visualise a calm dreamscape before going to sleep or read some nice fiction that invokes pleasing images to take into my dream. And: stay away from things that agravate it for you.

It might be very helpful for you to keep a dairy with both the concent of your dreams and the things you've done the day before so that you can identify your own patterns and triggers.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 26 Nov 2014, 10:37

The difference for me is down to the core of shamanic work, intention and focus. A journey has both and results in an outcome from those two ingredients.

So if you haven't set intention then (for me) it isn't yet a journey but may be inviting one! By which i mean if, without intention on your part, it provides and /or involves focus eg lucidity and/or outcome in terms of memory on waking that relates to some unconscious problem then it is a freely offered gift of guidance, clarity or information. And also an offer for you to open up dream time journeying by setting intention and stepping into that reality by choice.

Such a gift at this moment would indicate readiness and appropriateness of such a step. Perhaps even that it is the step you have been seeking to address some specific issue? But it remains an option until such time as you set intention and step, tho if you keep getting similar experiences then it's likely a stronger invitation or a stronger answer to an intention you have already set somewhere in your practice!

As I say that is just my way of seeing it based on the teaching lineage and experiences in my past. Not an absolute truth..
Image Image Image

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 26 Nov 2014, 15:40

Thank you, both, for the reassurance that it's not just me. It sounds like a clear intent and a diary are the way to go.

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”