The Human that Wasn't

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kaida
OBOD Bard

The Human that Wasn't

Postby Kaida » 27 Jul 2015, 06:42

There's a story by 2 the Ranting Gryphon that I thought the folks on this board might enjoy. I know I certainly do. It speaks deeply to me, and each time I read it, I nearly cry because reminds me that despite my identity, I was born into this body for a reason and I should do my best for my family who can't speak for themselves.
One time, there was a particular man who was very sad and angry. He lived in a nice apartment, had a nice job and good friends. He had everything a person needs to be happy, but he wasn't. Because he didn't want to be a human. He wanted to be a bear.

You see, the Bear was his spirit guide and he loved Bear with all of his heart. He thought of Bear every day and gave her prayers. Whenever he had free time, he would draw bears or write poems about their beauty and nobility. He wanted to be a bear because they were such wonderful creatures. But he was a human. And humans were thoughtless and harmful and cold.

Humans polluted the planet and filled the world with hate. They didn't care for each other. They seemed only to want to destroy the beautiful things in the world rather than protect them. Even the Bear itself! They would hunt bears sometimes and kill them. And the man wept for every bear that was killed by his own human brothers. They didn't understand the Bear. They didn't even want to. They were simply interested in themselves and this made him hate humans... and hate himself for being one.

The man would cry and beg the Bear in his prayers to make him a bear too. He wanted to be with the creatures he found beautiful and not a part of the destructive and selfish human race. Every day, he would weep and beg the Bear again to make him a part of her family instead. He dreamed about being a bear every night. But every morning he would wake up as a human once again and would go forth and force himself to live as a human for another day. But he always knew in his heart that he was meant to be a bear. He could feel it all the time. He was human on the outside, but his spirit was a bear's.

The man had so much dislike for his fellow humans that he started to avoid them. He didn't want to have anything to do with other humans, being the wasteful, violent creatures they were. So he stayed alone. And instead of acting like a human, he would act like a bear. He spent all the time he could in the forest, just like the Bear. When the sun was bright, he would sun himself. When he found a stream, he would catch and eat fish. He would do everything that the Bear did, but he still was not happy because he knew that he was still a human.

One day, the man was in the forest, pretending to be a bear, when he looked up and saw a group of real bears cooling themselves off in a clear stream. He was overjoyed! He wanted to be with the bears. He wanted them to accept him in their group and treat him like another bear, so he went to them. But the bears fled from him.

The man followed the bears, feeling heartbroken that they would not stop and let him in their group, and he found himself following them desperately deep into the forest. Suddenly, lost and alone in a part of the woods he had never seen before, the man found himself surrounded by bears. They were all around him! He looked up and there, in front of him was the most beautiful bear he'd ever laid his eyes on. She was large and healthy. Her fur shined with golden light. And the man knew that she was the Bear spirit he had always prayed to.

The human fell to his knees and he said, "Please! I am not supposed to be a human. Turn me into a bear and let me live in the forest with you!" And as soon as he uttered these words, he fell into a deep sleep.

When the man woke, he wasn't a human anymore. He was a bear! He looked at his warm coat of fur and his large paws and went to a stream and saw the reflection of his bear face in the water. And for the first time, he was truly happy. He went to the wonderful bear who granted his wish and he said, "Thank you! You have given me my heart's wish!"

And the bear said to him, "We have known your spirit for a long time and now you are home."

"I knew it!" The new bear said, gleefully. "I knew I was never meant to be a human!"

"You are correct," the other bear said. "And now that you are back, all is lost."

"I don't understand," said the former human. "Isn't this where I belong? Don't I have a bear spirit?"

The wise bear sat before him. "You have always had the spirit of a bear. But bears cannot speak to humans. We cannot show them the beauty they are destroying. We cannot ask them to stop hunting us for our skins. We cannot beg them to stop polluting our water and taking our fish. We cannot show them how much it hurts when they cut down and burn the forests. You were given a bear spirit so that you could speak for us and help them to see how they are harming us. But you ignored your duties as a human and lived as one of us. Now you are here and there is no way to send you back and so we will never be heard."

And in the years that followed, the bear who was once a human lived to see his fellow bears hunted and killed, his forest home demolished, his rivers polluted and his fish taken, and could never again do anything to stop it. And when he slept at night, he dreamed of being human again.
"Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop."
~Rumi

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: The Human that Wasn't

Postby ShadowCat » 27 Jul 2015, 08:25

Thank you so much for sharing this story. It's true and speaks on a soul-level...

Edit: just now a Facebookfriend shared a quote that is very appropriate to this story:

"I always wondered why somebody didn't do something about it, but then I realised I am somebody"
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 28 Jul 2015, 16:54

It certainly makes me feel more appropriate for being a loud mouth at times...
Thanks! :D

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 01 Aug 2015, 07:06

Beautiful and so true :cry:

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”