TREE TOP PROTESTERS AT TITNORE WOODS

Post information about Social, Environmental or Political action and activism topics that are appropriate to Druidry, from saving ancient sites and forests to civil rights around the world...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 02 Aug 2006, 14:36

Latest update from Titnore Wood.

Last night, Damh the Bard and Cerri's Anderida Gorsedd group carried out a protection ritual at the wood, along with other visiting Pagans and the camp crew members. All went very well and protection spells for the land and trees were put in place.  

As to the 'official' side of things, although the planning permission has (of course  :x  ) been 'rubber stamped by Worthing Council the Council's 'victory' and probable 'bungs' are now under threat! :grin:  

A judicial review of the whole plan is in the offing and that if carried out will quash any planning permissions granted and 'reset' the clock to zero on the planned destruction. :grin:  

The campers themselves have a court case coming up in a week or so regarding their eviction appeal. This they will eventually lose inevitably, but their work there is largely done, other than costing the despicable 'landowner' (Somerset) loads of dosh by passive resistance during the inevitable eviction.  :grin:

They can be satisfied that they have helped raise the profile of the case and got many of the locals 'onside' in the struggle to save the land and woods. After doubtless putting up pasive resistance to the forthcoming eviction (if they so wish) they may leave, with honour!  :)

I hope if they so decide that the Police, Bailiffs etc do not use violence against them, but given the recent illegal Police raids on the site and the force used by them recenty I must admit I have worries for the camper's safety. May the Goddess protect them and may the media be well represented at any eviction to prevent the 'authorities' using excessive violence, as I fear they might otherwise do. :-(  

Doubtless many of the 'happy campers' will be moving on to their 'sister' camp at Camp Bling, Southend or other protest sites to carry on the struggle to save our Mother Earth.  

As to Titnore Wood's future, the fat lady (cheers for that image Pagan) has not yet sung and I think she's gonna get a bad case of laryngitis soon!  :grin:  

BB. Onion.

Luz de la Luna~
OBOD Bard

Postby Luz de la Luna~ » 02 Aug 2006, 20:04

Onion wrote:
hope if they so decide that the Police, Bailiffs etc do not use violence against them, but given the recent illegal Police raids on the site and the force used by them recenty I must admit I have worries for the camper's safety. May the Goddess protect them and may the media be well represented at any eviction to prevent the 'authorities' using excessive violence, as I fear they might otherwise do.

Could the police be that stupid to actually cause injuries?  If they do, what a shameful life they should live.  Has anyone ever heard of the "Kent State" tragedy over there that took place here in the states in 1970?  if you have, maybe you could mention it to the campers so they could possibly make a sign to hold up if the police start getting physical.
Something like,. "Remember Kent State University? don't make the same mistakes!! Four dead."  

Has anyone checked to see if any of this has been covered by media here in the US?  I think it would make a very interesting story.  

My friends that I told about this were shocked that there is so little greenspace left in England, and even more shocked that the "big time ecologists"
haven't made an issue over the loss of so much forestlands. As am I.

Here's a link in case anyone is interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

:candle:
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike."
--John Muir

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 03 Aug 2006, 23:14

Hi Luz.

Yep, I remember well the Kent State killings. :x

It was that outrage that Crosby, Stills, Nash, (and Young perhaps, not sure if he was with them at the time?) wrote the famous song Ohio about.

Those brutal and unecessary shootings did at least cause the violent supression of the anti Vietnam War student protests (which had also happened on several other campuses, although miraculously without fatalities, just a few busted heads) to eventually come to an end and make America look seriously at what it was doing to it's own democracy, as well as to the people of Vietnam.

Although of course it was too late for the students who were killed and their grieving families and friends. :-(

Sadly at this distance in time here in Britain few (other than those interested in the history of anti war protest and a few old hippies like me :) ) would now remember that tragedy in detail and it would mean nothing to the Worthing Police who have been intimidating the campers.

Their best protection on eviction day is for there to be as many media observers present as possible to keep the Police and Somerset's hired thugs from 'going over the top' against any passive resistance they may mount.

Many Blessings.
Onion.

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 04 Aug 2006, 20:28

Hi All.

Messgae from Damh the Bard, copied over from the Anderida Gorsedd and Warband's message boards:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi peeps,

I'll be playing a gig in the woods at Titnore camp this Sunday afternoon. It's partly to entertain the 'troops' and partly to help raise some money for their appeal, and/or the judicial review costs. It'll be a free gig, but we will be passing a glass around to collect donations for the camp.

The gig opens at 3pm, and I'll start playing about 3.30. bring along some food and drink to share. The woods are gorgious, the protestors are lovely people, so come and have a singalong under the trees.

I do hope some of you can make it.

Directions for the camp are here: http://www.protectourwoodland.co.uk/tea.htm

Peace
Damh
x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to make it myself with any luck, provided my Sister can look in on Dad and sort out his dinner, since he is now home from hospital and a lot better. I won't be able to stay for more than a fews however as I need to be back by sunset. Perhaps I'll see some of you there?

BB. Onion.

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 07 Aug 2006, 13:05

Copied over from the Anderiida Gorsedd's board for information here:-

Hi Damh.

It was a wonderful gig at Titnore Wood yesterday. The music was great (of course :) ) and enjoyed immensely by all there. Lots of people were encouraged to visit the camp and your kind donation of the CD's for sale and all the money there from was very generous.

I know that many there would have been very moved by the lyrics of your songs and even the non Pagans amongst the audience and campers would have been able to understand and relate to the feelings of love and respect to the land and trees that fill many of your songs.

It was a fun afternoon and let us hope that the camp may remain there following the next stage of the legal processes. They are certainly beginning to get the place 'sorted' from it's somewhat 'primitive' beginning and the addition of the large tarp awning and comfy seating and sofas around the firepit was a great improvement. It's getting to be so homely it's hard to leave. :grin:  

The money raised along with another large donation from a Druid who was present at the gig but wishes to remain anonymous (not I would wish to stress my potless self  :)  ) will mean they will be able to afford their legal costs for the appeal and though I think the camp will ultimately prove less long term than the 'village' at Camp Bling it's presence in Titnore Wood has already achieved much to raise the profile of the opposition to this appalling plan and proved inspirational to the campaign.

Let's hope that the protestors may remain a while longer in the woods, as I would like to get back there to see the gang a few more times before they have to move on. So let's hope they can stay, at least until the hoped for Judicial Review of the project happens and the planning permissions are thereby quashed.

They may then chalk up 'Mission Accomplished' and move on with honour, I know they will have many vital battles to fight in future and have acquitted themselves with honour at Titnore. :)

Once again thank you Damh for a marvelous afternoon's entertainment and I'll see you, Cerri and the other Gorsedd members next time at The Long Man. :)  

Have a great time entertaining at the CoA camp next weekend by the way, whilst I have in the past had my differences with that organisation and with 'commercial Wicca' in general I know there are many good people who are members of their group and I wish you all a happy time and good weather. :)

Many Blessings.
Onion.

HILL SPIRIT

Climbing Equipment

Postby HILL SPIRIT » 01 Aug 2007, 20:40

Sorry to bring up an old post but just browsing.

Found an earlier post asking for donations of equipment

I have some surplus climbing equipment that can not be used for teaching as it has reached its age limit, i.e. 1 50m dynamic rope, a 50 m static rope and a 25 m rope, and a few assorted steel krabs. Are these of any use to any one if so who can I give them to

Hill Spirit

Pagan

Re: TREE TOP PROTESTERS AT TITNORE WOODS

Postby Pagan » 02 Jan 2008, 00:33

Greetings one and all and a very happy new year.....

Just a gentle reminder that this protest is still going strong and any donations are still being gratefully accepted........

With any luck the local council here in Worthing will be left with little choice but to have a massive rethink about this proposed development. Last I heard this issue was being sent back to parliament or somewhere for a review as there was some misleading information originally presented at the application but I'm not sure of the exact state of play at this present time.

Destiny and I have been planning to do a youtube video update but it has been appalling weather wise and i don't wanna get my little tootsies wet and cold (what a wimp eh :-) )

Please continue to support this protest, regardless of any negative publicity, this is a good cause to preserve iron age woodlands from the encroaching suburban sprawl.

Donations and other enquiries are to my knowledge still being handled by PROTECT OUR WOODLAND

Peace & Light

Mark :hiya:

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 04 Jan 2008, 21:22

bump :wink:

an ildanach
OBOD Bard

Postby an ildanach » 14 Jul 2008, 00:54

I was just checking over the action alerts forum, specifically the Save Tara stuff which is my present area of interest when i noticed this. Bloody hell, i grew up there! Manys the hour i spent peddaling up and rolling down titnore lane. i remember the woods well. i havent been there for 25 odd years (very odd years) MORE POWER TO YER ELBOWS.[img][/img]

hirundo
OBOD Bard

Postby hirundo » 07 Oct 2009, 09:16

A friend passed this on:

The online petition asking for a public inquiry into the Titnore area
development is shortly to close on the Prime Minster's website. Currently
it has just under 600 signatures and it would be great if we could give it
one last push to get more before the October 9 deadline.

The petition can be found at: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TitnoreWoods/

Return to “Action Alerts: What can YOU do?”