TREE TOP PROTESTERS AT TITNORE WOODS

Post information about Social, Environmental or Political action and activism topics that are appropriate to Druidry, from saving ancient sites and forests to civil rights around the world...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 22 Jun 2006, 22:56

Hi All.

Just got this document link to a 'form' protest letter to send about the Titnore Wood eco threat. Thanks to Wake of the Anderida Gorsedd for this link:-

http://www.darkexteriors.co.uk/titnorelaneletter.doc

You can 'right click download' this document.

Make it as personalised as possible, preferably send a 'hard copy' by post not an email and throw them a few 'curves' as they take more notice of individual letters, but this is a good outline and ideas source. :)

Some ideas that might be thrown into such a letter might be these, from a section of the SchNEWS article about the site

QUOTE:

The proposed road works would plough through rare ancient semi-natural woodland which has been there since the last ice age and is currently a Site of Nature Conservation Importance (SNCI). Several hundred trees would have to be felled, many over 150 years old and comprising oak, ash birch and willow. The woods are home to many species of wildlife, including dormice. Titnore Lane itself is part of our cultural heritage, reaching back at least to the Anglo-Saxon period and most probably way beyond that. It was part of a longer track that reached northwards across the South Downs and is rich in archaeological remains.

UNQUOTE

The SNCI status of the wood and it's ancient status might be well exploited in objections. It is deplorable that the local Council and politicians did not take this fact into account when this destruction was planned! :x

Also the current drought gives another angle, as in where will all these new houses be getting a water supply?

There is currently an official DTI investigation into Tesco (who also want to build a superstore there, their second in the area!) over their trading methods and such things as their land grabbing to prevent competition moving in on them.

This investigation is also ongoing into the other giant food retailing conglomerates, all of which act in this way and are bad for the planet.

The planned housing estate and superstore looks like an integrated attempt by Tescopoly to grab a 'captive' customer base.  :x

It is probably Tescopoly's money and power that are the 'behind the scenes' prime movers in this!  :x  :x  :x

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 26 Jun 2006, 11:33

Thanks Onion  :)

Not sure about it being down to Tesco, I think it could just be Worthing Borough Council, they want more Council Tax revenue. (To spend, spend, spend) Tesco will jump on the bandwagon though. :x

Spoke to an old dear today who visited the planning department in 1980, this promised library was on the plans for development then and 26 years later it's as elusive as ever!  :o

Quote from POW :- "A meeting has been arranged for Thursday July 6 at the Friends Meeting House, Rear of 34 Mill Road, Worthing at 7.30pm (Between West Ave and Grand Ave) for all those who want to know more about the history of Titnore lane, the Ancient woodland, the ecology, Castle Goring and the intended development that threatens to seriously impact on it."

In Peace
Destiny
aka Karen or Kaz

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 28 Jun 2006, 13:33

Hi all
Hopefully I should be able to make it to the meeting, I will relay anything relevant I learn here  :D

Blessings
Destiny

Luz de la Luna~
OBOD Bard

Postby Luz de la Luna~ » 28 Jun 2006, 15:15

Thanks Des, I am very much interested in how this situation runs, it is such a sad state of affairs when these huge superstores get into an area, it never fails that a gazzillion other chains will follow meaning cutting out more greenspace with asphalt or cement causing More heat in the atmosphere.   :x I really wish I were there to participate with you!!

Blessings....
Luz  :hug:

p.s. just had a thought, would you be able to tape the meeting so some of may get to hear the actual thing?
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike."
--John Muir

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 29 Jun 2006, 00:03

Hi all  :hiya:

With all the water and enviromental issues at stake, it's hard to believe the local council can claim to be working for us, the public! :x  In my experience, most of these beaurocracies only benefit those employed within them! :x

If there is such a thing as justice still alive in these lands, these plans will be put in their rightful place, the skip! :yay:

BB  :hug:
OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST......

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 29 Jun 2006, 00:32

Here Here matey! :grin:

There is no way that this eco vandalism is justifiable, except to the bread heads, who don't give a stuff about anything but money making, like Tescopoly, the Property Developers/Builders and the Somerset family who 'own' these woods.

How any publicly elected body could even contemplate allowing this mad and hugely destructive scheme and think they can get away with it I just don't understand. :x

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 30 Jun 2006, 13:59

Quoted from POW website and updates

"9pm Wednesday, June 28.

We have had the pleasure of welcoming guests from Portugal and beyond this week as the campaign goes from strength to strength. The extra hands has enabled the production of tree houses and other defenses to be speeded up.

All this activity has taken its toll on foot ware and there is an urgent need for donations of strong boots. While mentioning donations, please don't scrap your old video cameras. We need them and can repair them as necessary. Click for contact details.

There is a provisional date of Friday July 21st for the screening of the film made about us by the Tonight with Trevor McDonald programme. But keep checking the listings."

It's going to be on TV, always did like old Trev  |-)

Meanwhile, I am over the moon that folk are united in this.

Hi Onion
Quite agree ! Money, the root of all evil !

I met Manda the other evening(very nice lady btw), she was delivering supplies to the camp, a couple of the protesters came out to help her with her load, they are doing well, building more  :)

Blessings
Destiny

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 30 Jun 2006, 14:18

Hi Destiny.

That's all fantastic news, Titnore goes International eh! :grin:

And a TV feature too, wonderful, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on the schedules. :)

Damh is working on the benefit gig and we'll let everyone know when/where it will be as and when it's finalised. As to the ritual and visit by King Arthur, same thing applies.

King Arthur's a self confessed 'media tart' :grin:  and well versed in dealing with them. He can often drag in the cameras/papers etc to worthwhile causes, so there should be much more to come on the media front about Titnore Wood. :)

Strength To The Warriors!

Luz de la Luna~
OBOD Bard

Postby Luz de la Luna~ » 30 Jun 2006, 15:28

WOOHOOOO!!!  :yay:  :dance:  :applause:

That is wonderful news!!!  Do these things always get this much attention over there, I would think they do, but just wondering if maybe there was a bit of spiritual intervention!  :D  :grin:

Thank you for being involved & keeping us posted!

From all of us  :hug:

:coad:  :hawk2:  :bluehawk:  :hawk:  :owlsnow:  :prdog:  :wolf:  :coyote:  :runningdeer:  :blkbear:  :brnbear:  :sheep:  :puma:  :caribou:  :bison:  :raven:  :grey:  :humming:  :antler:  :wolfmoon:  :boar:  :butterflies:  :hop:  :horse:  :antelope:  :daraoi:  :batmoon:  :zen:  :katlady:  :hamster:  :donata:  :zen:  :goose:  :noevil:  :crow:  :moose:  :falco:  :antler:  :swan:  :atlsalm:  :paw: :acorns:  :ioho:  :huathe:  :ailim:  :tinne: :luis:  :saille:  :ruis: :phagos:  :ghug:

:-D
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike."
--John Muir

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 01 Jul 2006, 11:17

Hi Luz, Onion and all

So here is what all the fuss is about  :yay:

Somerset Lake in Titnore Woods. Click on images to enlarge.

Titnore Woods

Need I say more ?  :hug:

Blessings
Destiny

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 01 Jul 2006, 12:38

Copied over from the Anderida Gorsedd's board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Destiny.

Such beauty as these photos show and such destructiveness as shown by those who claim to 'own' it and those who would erase it must never be allowed to meet! :x

Thanks for the photos Destiny and for keeping us informed via this and other message boards. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will you be copying over your last written post about Titmore Wood over onto Anderida's board, as some members there may not be here and not seen the good news and 'progress report' it contained. :)

BB. Onion.

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 01 Jul 2006, 18:33

Hi All.

Thanks to Rowan of the Warband and the Paganwarriorsuk yahoo group for the following serious developments.

Not good news I'm afraid. :x  

South Coast Indymedia, Latest from them:

Quote:
Wednesday June 21

ARE landowners the Somersets resorting to dirty tricks to try and force the protesters out of the woods? The Argus reports today they were trying to blame the campers for a digger being driven into a pond some distance from the camp. Needless to say, the camp knows nothing of this incident and would hardly set about polluting the environment it is there to protect! This was obviously clear to Sussex Police, who told the paper: "The finger has been pointed at the protesters, but if they are environmentalists it seems unlikely they would want to do that."

A certain tension as a result of the allegations was increased today by the police helicopter hovering very low over the camp. There was also a visit by environmental health officers, accompanied by police.

A report in local newspaper The Worthing Guardian at the weekend quoted Worthing Council's assistant director of planning James Appleton as saying final outline permission for the development was "two to three weeks away", with an agreement envisaged between landowners, council and developers.

A public meeting is to be held in support of Camp Titnore. It will be at 7.30pm on Thursday July 6 at the Friends Meeting House in Mill Road, West Worthing. Supporters are urged to come along - and bring their friends.

Well it seems (as expected) that the usual dirty tricks, scurrilous ridiculous accusations and Council/Police harrasment have started I see!  :x  

It also looks as if this planning permission is well stiched up, the money probably having reached the offshore accounts by now, (since brown envelopes are a bit old hat these days)!  :x  

BB. Onion

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Postby Motuckquas Cwningen » 01 Jul 2006, 18:42

Thanks for the photos Destiny.  Beautiful place

Oniondruid wrote: It also looks as if this planning permission is well stiched up

:x  :x  :cry:

I've been reading this thread and my thoughts are with Titnore even if unfortunately the rest of me is sitting here
Motucki

"The Rainbow Race brings peace through the understanding that all races are one. The unity of all colours, all creeds working together for the good of the whole, is the idea that is embodied in the Whirling Rainbow. When all pathways to wholeness are respected by all cultures, the prophecy of the Whirling Rainbow will be completed.” quote from the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 01 Jul 2006, 19:25

Hi Motuckquas Cwningen

There are several things you can do to help 'sitting there'. :)

Several links to the support campaigns have been posted, you could post your support on their website, or get involved spreading the word, if you have the means donate to the campaign, loads of ways to help. :)

Even if none of the above appeals there is always using magic for the site's protection and praying for it's preservation and the victory of the brave people defending Titnore Woods!

That is as important as any of the other methods possible.

Nobody should feel themselves unimpowered or too geographically remote to help, that is what the evil men who plan these crimes want us to think! :x

BB. Onion.

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Postby Motuckquas Cwningen » 02 Jul 2006, 11:09

Hi Oriondruid

Thanks for taking the time to reassure me that the little I am doing from here is helping  :)
Motucki

"The Rainbow Race brings peace through the understanding that all races are one. The unity of all colours, all creeds working together for the good of the whole, is the idea that is embodied in the Whirling Rainbow. When all pathways to wholeness are respected by all cultures, the prophecy of the Whirling Rainbow will be completed.” quote from the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 04 Jul 2006, 13:36

Hi all

After a weekend of being very poorly indeed, Destiny was admitted to Worthing hospital yesterday! All I know at this stage is she has some kind of Kidney infection/problem. I am visiting her in an hour or so will know more then, I hope! Needless to say I will send her your warmest wishes as I know she has had some good conversations and laughs with some of you, and so have I.

BB           :candle:

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 04 Jul 2006, 13:43

Hi Pagan.

That's horrible news, I'm so sorry. :-(

Let's hope thay can sort it out for her quickly and that she's feeling a lot better soon. Give her my love when you see her and wish her a speedy recovery. :)

I hope you're feeling well and that this heat is not too stressful. It can be very energy sapping so you look after yourself as well Pagan.

Many Blessings to you both.
Onion.

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 04 Jul 2006, 13:47

For any Pagans in the Worthing area who may have been planning to or wish to attend the Titnore Woods meeting, new info in:-

CHANGE OF VENUE AND TIME FOR PUBLIC MEETING.

Because of an unfortunate double booking at the Friends Meeting House, the venue of the public meeting on Titnore Woods has now been changed. It will be held in the function room of the Charles Dickens in Heene Road, with the start put back to 8pm to allow people to be redirected from the original venue, if necessary. This is an excellent venue, where teas and coffees will on sale as well as drinks from the bar. So that's 8pm at the Charles Dickens, Heene Road, Worthing, on Thursday July 6.

I will be trying to get there but am a long way away my carer commitments will make it difficult, but I'll give it a go though.

BB. Onion.

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Postby Motuckquas Cwningen » 04 Jul 2006, 17:10

Pagan wrote:Hi all

After a weekend of being very poorly indeed, Destiny was admitted to Worthing hospital yesterday!

Poor Destiny  :-(

Hope she gets better soon  :hug:
Motucki

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 06 Jul 2006, 10:17

Hi all and thanks for the support shown to Destiny, she was warmed by your kind words and concern.

Still don't know yet what is wrong exactly or when she will be coming home. I will see her later on and I will be attending the meeting tonight in Worthing with or without her. Will let you know any updates as and when I know them.

Thanks again people  :hug:

BB

Return to “Action Alerts: What can YOU do?”