TREE TOP PROTESTERS AT TITNORE WOODS

Post information about Social, Environmental or Political action and activism topics that are appropriate to Druidry, from saving ancient sites and forests to civil rights around the world...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 05 Jun 2006, 21:54

The protesters are not riding motorbikes around anywhere, it's woodland.
Thank you for the clarification.  I was a little concerned when I saw motorbikes on the wish list on their website, and also a little worried about actually attaching treehouses to trees.  Nonetheless, I do hope that they will soon have a way for us here in the US to help at least financially.  I don't think I'll be able to ship any beams from here! :grin:

Onion,
Thanks for the explanation on the warband.  I'll check it out when I have a free day or two :grin:
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 05 Jun 2006, 22:14

Both myself and Destiny are in our early 40's :o But we don't mind if you consider us as young :grin:  :dance:  :cloud9:

In fact, we have both only in the last 5 years reluctantly surrendered our 'Extended Adolescence', though it does still creep in from time to time :D  I think it's good to be in touch with your inner child, it helps you to keep grounded. |-)  Well, that's our story and we're sticking to it! :-)

BB :hug:
OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST......

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 05 Jun 2006, 22:20

No problem Jingle.  :)

It'll be a week or so before the main website is working anyway, meanwhile you or anybody else is most welcome at our message board, just as we Warband bods reciprocate here! :)

The Avebury site I posted is well worth anybody spending time to visit, either from a spiritual, archaeological or general interest point of view.

Anyway, this is all way 'off topic', sorry but once I'm asked a question and start waffling I'm hard to stop! :grin:

Back to the splendid effort of the guys and gals at Titnore Wood.... :)

BB. Onion.

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 05 Jun 2006, 22:24

Jingle quote; ''I was a little concerned when I saw motorbikes on the wish list on their website,''  ;)

:D  

Methinks this is English satirical humour(I hope!) :whistle:

BB :hug:

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 05 Jun 2006, 22:36

Hi Destiny and Pagan, you two young whipersnappers! :grin:

Me I'm a tad over fifty but not in danger of getting to sixty yet. Apart from a 'tin hip' (which I was unusually young to need replacing I would emphasise!) I'm not yet in my dotage and all me bits are working. Except that is for my brain, which is obviously faulty! :grin:

I don't do tree climbing or tunneling on protest sites as I'm a bit too ancient for that, it's a young man or womans game. But I'm still quite happy to sit in front of a bulldozer or whatever.  :grin:

I am plotting to try and get a night off and 'escape' down your way at Solstice, as this now seems it might be possible. I need to find out which Sunday the Anderida Grove ritual is on and then I can come see you two, the Titnore Wood site, perhaps camp there overnight and head up the coast road and join Damh and Cerri's gathering at the Long Man on the Sunday before going home.

Hope it all works out and I can come visit. :)

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 05 Jun 2006, 22:58

Hiya Onion  :old:

I liked your post about the Warband, actually it was King Arthur that inspired us originally, reading about his active determination to make a difference in this world for the better.

The protesters would love a Druid presence in the camp, I am a mere Bardic Initiate, still studying. :D

Destiny & Pagan  :hug:

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 05 Jun 2006, 23:09

onion  :old:  :grin:

You're welcome to crash here if you can handle the sofa! Having said that, spending some time in the woods with good people does appeal, so we may join you if you crash in there instead! Perhaps you could bless the woods in druidic manner, I feel I can learn much from you and am looking forward to the meet. :shake:

BB  :hug:  :dance:

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 05 Jun 2006, 23:26

Thanks Pagan for your kind offer.

We'll see what the weather is like, as long as it's dry I will probably camp as I need a night 'yoghurt weaving' round the campfire. However if it's peeing down then mud is not my favourite environment and your sofa will be very attractive! :)

I hope I can get there and I'd love to meet you two, but as to my being any kind of 'guru' I doubt it! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I'm sure I have some skills and knowledge but as to magic and ritual mine tend to be limited, most of my eco-magic work has been done at Coldrum and there I feel strong because the 'spirits of place' are with me and they've known me for years.

But I will try and join with you in blessing the Wood, you'll probably find some of the people there are of a Pagan mindset (if not out and out Pagan), so we should be able to get a circle together. :)

When it comes to teaching it's all about learning from each other. To paraphrase Arthur  'It's the Robed Druid up the tree with the Smelly Hippy, teaching him protection spells whilst learning how to build a good strong tree house!' :grin:

We all have much to contribute in support of the things we believe in.

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 06 Jun 2006, 12:48

Hi Onion,
I spoke to some of the protesters yesterday, on the return walk, I was asked if I knew where 'The Swampies' were...seems that is what some locals have named them  :grin: So I headed back again with a 'Swampie' fan in tow, laden with goodies  :-)

Seems the locals have really been practical in their support, it's kind of warming to know that these folk are getting envolved and helping  :D

I think most of the 'swampies' to quote the locals  :D , are vegan/vegitarian, but luckily by the time I cross the fields, my leather boots (shock horror  :o ) are mud camoflaged   :grin:

I am still studying, a mere 'Fili Initiate' (NOD Grove of Dana Course), which has grounded me in areas I knew little, has some structure to it and inspired me to look deeper. Prior to this my Druid education was getting out and walking amid Nature, gaining awareness of unseen energies, I also did a fair bit of reading. Haven't come to the ritual chapter yet  :-)

It's a path of learning that is ever ongoing. Who knows after many years I may even feel I have qualified for the title 'Bard/Fili', I don't think it can be learnt in a year  :-)

A Druid blessing at the camp would go down extremely well  :shake:

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 06 Jun 2006, 19:16

Hi Destiny.

Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

Local support is the single most valuable asset that a protest camp can have, which is why Camp Bling is also in a fortunate position. I believe you cannot win an eco battle without local support and those which have been won in the past have all been in that fortunate position. The list of successes includes for example Crystal Palace, Lymminge Forest, Oxleas Wood and many others still ongoing, like Nine Ladies and Thornborough Henge. :)

The future protests against the proposed new nuclear power plants will also need to cultivate local opinion, but as nobody in their right mind wants a potential Chernobyl down the road that should be no problem!  :grin:

As to legal eviction moves, I was certain the farmer was lying when he said the camp was welcome to stay and this doesn't suprise me in the least sadly. Perhaps if such a thing is definitely impending LAW willl become more directly involved. I know that Camp Bling are planning to send some representatives down there soon also. :)

I am still plotting to try and get away for at least one night soon and I'll keep you posted. We will definitely try and get a small informal ritual together with the help of the 'Swampies' and yourselves and do a blessing of the site. I'll fetch my robes and staff but sadly I won't be doing the full King Arthur impersonation as I don't have a beard or a bloody great broadsword! :grin:

We'll do our best though and trust in the 'Spirits of Place' to help us out, perhaps we could also visit the Cissbury Ring hill fort and ask the Ancestral Spirits for help too.

BB. Onion.

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 07 Jun 2006, 09:36

Hi all  :wink:

Warband message board is down again! This time it says the server has exceeded bandwidth limit! ;)

You probably already know this!:huh:

BB  :hug:   :dance:

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 07 Jun 2006, 14:18

It's back up and running now. :yay:

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 07 Jun 2006, 19:19

Hi Destiny, Pagan and All.

Yep, I did put a thread in general announcements about this. Whilst the message board is generally working parts of it from time to time will still require work to complete. It will either partially or totally have to go off line every now and then for tinkering with. It should all be sorted soon though with luck though.

Although working it is still being adjusted for various reasons.

One hilarious one I found the other night. I was trying to write a post that included the phrase "a little pink pussy cat as an icon" and the 'ever so helpful' and ultra PC American designed text censor in the message board programme decided this was obscene and altered it to read "a little pink girl thingy cat as an icon" !!! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I kid you not ! :grin:

That's the sort of stuff they have to fix, nonsense, intrusive and unecessary text re-editing by an impertinent machine. :x

Don't worry it'll all be sorted out eventually. :)

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 09 Jun 2006, 13:50

Hi all

Some folk from Bling went down yesterday, we must have just missed them, ain't that just the way ...

Some folk had expressed difficulties in getting in, Pagan and I walked over there and found about three negotiable entrances, one is a real doddle.

Hi Onion

Pagan and I went up to Cissbury yesterday after visiting the camp, amazing place, the views are terrific.

Take care
Destiny

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 11 Jun 2006, 01:29

Hi Destiny.

Glad you found an easy way in, useful when I visit as me 'tin hip, is fine for walking, but climbing big walls is right out! :grin:

BB. Onion

Pagan

Postby Pagan » 12 Jun 2006, 07:24

BB

Niamh

Postby Niamh » 15 Jun 2006, 00:47

Hello
Just heard about the camp at Titnore .I dont normally come on this message board cause I'm usually on the Anderida message board so I didnt have a clue about what was going on and I only live on the other side of Worthing.
Damh  posted about it this pm on AGB so I thought I would go down and offer some support .I would like to meet up with you lot if you are local .Everyone at the camp was really nice and I said I would put up a revised wish list if that is ok.
I am also on the L.A.W message board now and also on the TDN and have posted on TDN about this subject (as Manda and Blaise)
I know that People in Anderida will be very interested and Damh is sending out loads of info to lots of other groups.
Sorry we have not got in touch sooner but we just didnt know   :-(

revised wish list

Big blue rope 8mm/10mm/12mm,several bags of woodchips & sawdust,sheers,secateurs,tarps any size( big ),any other rope,nails any or wood,batteries AA and AAA,waterprof clothes, socks ,boots size 6-11,any spare tools ,paint,old blankets ,big saucepans/cooking pots,thermos flasks,bowsaw blades,parafin,crow bar,chains ,locks,padlocks,D locks,harnesses,carabiners,beelays?,climbing rope,cargo nets.big flooring beams.

hope this is ok
xxx
Manda

Oriondruid

Postby Oriondruid » 15 Jun 2006, 01:19

Hi Manda

Thank you for your help mwith the Titnore Wood situation and for wishing to get involved. Pagan and Destiny on this messge Board are very au fait with the situation at the site and I am in contact with Damh on the LAW board also. He has kindly spread the word and I hope to get down to the site myself and to the Anderida Gorsedd ritual this Sunday.

It is good that there is now a coordinated response being formulated between the protest camp and various individual Druids and Orders.

We are hoping to get a ritual together at Titnore Wood for the protection of the site and also to help out with the more physically practical things needed like supplies etc.

We should be able to discuss this a bit at the weekend, hope to see you there, provided my Father's health let's me get away, as I am his carer and it can be difficult unless my Sister is able to look after him for a night.

Hope to see you at The Long Man.

BB. Onion.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 15 Jun 2006, 11:19

Greetings from near the woods  :shake:

Hi Onion   :)

Thank you Niamh for you response and support of the Titnore camp  :hug:  

We'd love to meet up with you and unite in our cause. We are very local to the woods  :) Please let us know when you are this way, pm on here or LAW, though these days I am more often on LAW  :)

I'm curious also to learn about Anderida  :D

The woods are a haven in the madness of todays modern world and we cannot ignore the calling of the spirits of the woods. It has lifted my own spirit just to read how others are becoming involved.

In Peace
Destiny

Destiny

Postby Destiny » 15 Jun 2006, 15:51

Greetings from Albion Rainbow2  :shake:

There is magick afoot here, to be sure  :-)

Pagan and I have recieved various messages of support, plans and one poster here has also made a visit to the camp.

I am not a person that gives in easily  :)  so will be drawing as much awareness as possible here on the OBOD message board (that isn't really the OBOD board   :shrug: )

The most up to date information can be found on the following link, there is a link if one wishes to donate, hopefully either POW or Pork Bolter will set up a pay pal account, I'm sure they will if there is enough interest from overseas  :grin:

http://www.protectourwoodland.co.uk/index.htm#index

For Pork Bolter news please see the following link, there is a PO Box address there for donations
http://www.eco-action.org/porkbolter/june06.html

There are also press releases on the POW link above and updates on thePork Bolter link. The BBC did quite a good press release, that is here at the start of this thread.

Many thanks for your interest in this cause, please post again  :hug:

In Peace

Destiny

Return to “Action Alerts: What can YOU do?”