Worst Environmental Disaster ever - Who is to Blame

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Worst Environmental Disaster ever - Who is to Blame

Postby DJ Droood » 30 Jul 2010, 12:42

"Where is all the oil?"
That is the question now. And oddly, that large spill we all saw is gone.
Still more to clean, and about a week or so of it still to come ashore. And granted the dispersant lingers.
Right now they are making effort to answer this question.
Come on Merlyn...the spilled oil isn't "gone"...god didn't "answer our prayers", and "microbes" haven't eaten it all...turn over a rock or open up a fish and you will be finding the oil, for many years to come..
Little of the oil remains on the water, but that doesn't mean it has all vanished. Scientists are worried that much of it is trapped below the surface after more than 770,000 gallons of chemical dispersant were used to break up the oil a mile deep. They have found evidence of massive clouds of oil suspended in the water.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... b6acf.html

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 30 Jul 2010, 12:57

I think this thread has been split a little.

Firstly, there's the corporate "world" problem that we are all dependent upon oil in some way; in that we are prepared to overlook shortcuts to ensure that we get cheap petrol (but as a UK resident, I find paying £1.30 for a litre of petrol (so that's about £5.20 a gallon, or $8.50 US) isn't exactly cheap, but most of that is in tax. it's only when something like this happens that we collectively throw our hands up and say "oh that's bad... someone should pay for that". In truth, the long haul will be that we will be paying anyway when the companies hike the prices.

It is disappointing that in this "world view" the cartel isn't each putting its fingers into its pockets to assist BP - oh, wait, that's business and private enterprise.

Once the Capitalist machine then kicks off, they will find the world-company BP at fault (BP was British Petroleum, shortened its name to BP, bought Amoco, then dropped the Amoco part of its name. To remain that BP is English is a misnomer really IMO) and through the legal courts will find BP guilty - but not after many millions of dollars have been sunk into legal fees (so get ready, petrol's going up in price). BP then (if it has any money left) will then take it out on TransOcean - who will be bankrupt by the whole thing (so more dollars onto petrol). Then, when both BP AND Transocean are out of the way - and the share stock plummets - Esso, Exxon, Shell etc will step in and take over the oil well. Then, if there's a problem - well, who actually cares because it wasn't their fault it was like it when they bought it (or they'll put to work making it good ... and that'll put the petrol up).

So yes. BP is at fault and should be made to pay. I feel so much better. I also feel much better that it will be my pound coins that will be spent in prosecution, bail out, legal fees and plugging the hole. So I'll work for longer - and then I'll need my car more, so that'll need petrol. Gosh, I feel so rightous right now. The bad guys been punished... and I'm out of pocket. Huzzah.

I would rather BP just get on and fix the thing - and if governments/people want to be helpful, then they should be directing the other Oil companies to pitch in and help sort it.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 30 Jul 2010, 13:15

BP will write it all off and claim it as a loss, pay nothing in tax for this year.
As to where is all the oil? "clouds of it under the ocean?"

We shall see.
But in essence the clean up is working, working better then the media would like... :whistle:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 30 Jul 2010, 13:34

I find paying £1.30 for a litre of petrol (so that's about £5.20 a gallon, or $8.50 US) isn't exactly cheap, but most of that is in tax.
Huzzah for high petrol prices...we are still buying it dirt cheap...$1 a litre, or about 4.25 US/Gallon....bargan prices.(about the same as the plastic bottled water everyone likes to buy) This is an artificially rigged price, of course, as the depressed global economy has temporarily cooled off demand. I support high "sin" taxes on gasoline, just like they put them on smokes...a pack here costs cloze to $11, which is almost all tax. It doesn't stop smoking, but it makes smokers pay a fair share for the health system resources they consume. Looking forward to the idiots and urban ranchers in their big trucks and SUVs being forced off the roads and into car pools and public transit. Consumption taxes are the only way to get the greedy overconsumers of the world to pay something close to the real cost of their smokes/snacks/transportation/plastic containers, etc.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 30 Jul 2010, 14:40

We just pay for cheap gas with the lives of our sons and daughters...
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 30 Jul 2010, 16:22

We just pay for cheap gas with the lives of our sons and daughters...
I would never want to seem to diminish anyone's personal tragedy, but the cost of NATO (mostly US) soldier's lives for the last ten years of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan is about the same as a bad weekend in the Civil War. (4,000 dead, 20,000 wounded at Antietam, for instance)...so militarily, the human cost has been insignificant....this war has not personally touched the masses like WWII...it is still mostly just a news story. The financial cost, however, works out to about $5,000 a person, so when you fill up your Ford F-250 for $3 a gallon, you might as well tag a couple more dollars a gallon on there to pay back later.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 30 Jul 2010, 17:05

We have more die in drug wars on our south border than in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
No loss of life over these things is small to the parents or myself who has lost a son in this bogus reincarnation of Vietnam.
Blaming BP though falls flat when I know the price of gas is part wallet, and part my son who dies for this cheap gas from Iraq.

Personally I think it is high time we get the situations right.
Same with BP

As to the civil war, that can begin any day now... Anywhere... if we neglect to get things right.
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 08 Sep 2010, 14:01

The blame game;

Faulty cementing, a misread pressure test and an improperly maintained blowout preventer all contributed to the April 20 explosion that uncorked the worst oil spill in U.S. history, BP's investigation of the disaster concluded Wednesday.

BP said its team aboard the doomed oil rig Deepwater Horizon "incorrectly accepted" results of a negative pressure test aboard the rig before the blast, but the company's internal report assigns much of the blame to rig owner Transocean and cementing contractor Halliburton. The three companies have repeatedly pointed fingers at each other since the explosion, which killed 11 workers and resulted in an estimated 4.9 million barrels (205 million gallons) of oil spilling into the Gulf.

"The team did not identify any single action or inaction that caused this accident," BP's report states. "Rather, a complex and interlinked series of mechanical failures, human judgments, engineering design, operational implementation and team interfaces came together to allow the initiation and escalation of the accident. Multiple companies, work teams and circumstances were involved over time."

There was no immediate response to the report by either Transocean or Halliburton.

The conclusions follow July remarks by outgoing BP CEO Tony Hayward, who said that the disaster "was the result of multiple equipment errors and human error involving many companies." Bob Dudley, who is replacing Hayward, said Wednesday's report "makes that conclusion even clearer."

"We deeply regret this event. We have sought throughout to step up to our responsibilities. We are determined to learn the lessons for the future and we will be undertaking a broad-scale review to further improve the safety of our operations," Dudley said in a statement accompanying the report. "We will invest whatever it takes to achieve that. It will be incumbent on everyone at BP to embrace and implement the changes necessary to ensure that a tragedy like this can never happen again."

BP owned the Macondo well, located in about 5,000 feet of water about 45 miles off southeastern Louisiana, and hired Transocean and Halliburton as contractors. Wednesday's report found weaknesses in the design of the cementing job that allowed oil and gas to burst out of the well, and states that BP investigators found signs of "potential weaknesses in the testing regime and maintenance management system" for the rig's blowout preventer -- the massive fail-safe device that failed to shut down the well.

"The day before the accident, cement had been pumped down the production casing and up into the wellbore annulus to prevent hydrocarbons from entering the wellbore from the reservoir. The annulus cement that was placed across the main hydrocarbon zone was a light, nitrified foam cement slurry. This annulus cement probably experienced nitrogen breakout and migration, allowing hydrocarbons to enter the wellbore annulus," the report states.

BP acknowledged that its team leaders aboard the rig should not have accepted the results of a key test of the cement seal on the well shortly before the explosion. Those well site leaders -- the "company men" aboard the rig -- have refused to appear before a Coast Guard-Interior Department board investigating the disaster, with one invoking his Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination and the other citing illness.

"In retrospect, pressure readings and volume bled at the time of the negative-pressure test were indications of flow-path communication with the reservoir, signifying that the integrity of these barriers had not been achieved," the report states. "The Transocean rig crew and BP well site leaders reached the incorrect view that the test was successful and that well integrity had been established."

But the company also faults Transocean's crew for failing "to recognize and act on the influx of hydrocarbons into the well until the hydrocarbons were in the riser and rapidly flowing to the surface."

"Indications of influx with an increase in drill pipe pressure are discernible in real-time data from approximately 40 minutes before the rig crew took action to control the well," the report states. "The rig crew's first apparent well control actions occurred after hydrocarbons were rapidly flowing to the surface."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/08/us.gul ... tml?hpt=T1

Kind of what I expected, that the contractors all, were to blame, and the ultimate blame falls on BP for failure of oversight and making the contracted companies meet safety standards existing or not.

Deepwater drilling is the future of oil now as I see it, possibly the only way to find it now that we have depleted existing land drilled sites and supply. With the prospect of deepwater drilling comes cheap fuel once again, and the need to abate our use of oil will be undermined by the fact it is cheap.

The ocean however is a fragile thing, the spoiling of it is a far worse thing than global warming or radical climate change.

Merlyn
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 08 Sep 2010, 14:17

It is important to way carefully what is said on all sides, and reflect soberly about the correct actions to be taken, but at the end of the day, I have to side with this influential environmentalist:

Eco-warrior Brad Pitt is so appalled by the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico he wants those responsible for the chaos to be executed.

The movie star insists he's an opponent of the death penalty, but he'd make an exception for the BP bosses behind the 100-day-plus oil leak, which has become America's greatest environmental disaster.
http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/20 ... story.html
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 08 Sep 2010, 14:32

Can we get Brad Pitt to run for president? :wink:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11230757
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =129720165
What is known is that the blowout preventer didn't seal the well pipe at the sea bottom after an eruption of methane gas triggered the explosion.
In the report, BP acknowledged that the failure of the preventer was "probably because critical components were not working."
Members of Congress, industry experts and workers who survived the rig explosion have accused BP's engineers of cutting corners to save time and money on a project that was 43 days and more than $20 million behind schedule at the time of the blast.
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Feb 2011, 13:41

Many months later Gulf of Mexico bottom shows little sign of recovery, but many dead critters

WASHINGTON - Oil from the BP spill remains stuck on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, according to a top scientist's video and slides that she says demonstrate the oil isn't degrading as hoped and has decimated life on parts of the sea floor.

That report is at odds with a recent report by the BP spill compensation czar that said nearly all will be well by 2012.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/gulf-mexico-bo ... 4-973.html
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 10 Mar 2011, 15:04

The tid bit news, that a shut down oil platform in the gulf exploded, kind of shows that at least another disaster of this kind that was going to happen ... didn't

Small consolation I know...
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Return to “Environmental Issues”