Worst Environmental Disaster ever - Who is to Blame

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aitrus

Re: Worst Environmental Disaster ever - Who is to Blame

Postby Aitrus » 05 Jun 2010, 16:52

But there was so much else I couldn't stand. Your observation of him as a "Liberal Rush" was great. Loved it! (Unfortunately, there are lots of those around. although the guys on the far right are much more available via radio)...
Yes, one Rush is bad enough. We don't need copies in every color of the rainbow, to include Tie-Dye. Alas, that is one of the bad, and good, things about the 1st Amendment.
Surely there are many people who feel like this...
There are. And I'm one of them.
The article about Dugout Dan made my week. What a beautiful story (and what a beautiful man). I. I'm sending it to several friends. He became,indeed, a beloved treasure. A shining gem.
I once had the pleasure of meeting the man. He was an inspiration. He had some great stories to tell. I left him a bag of apples, a bag of potatoes and a jar of hard candies.
So, now I hope I haven't ticked you off!
Not at all! Civil, pleasant discourse is what I enjoy.
You may not be able to outrun Death, but you can sure make the Bastard work for it!
-Opening line from an Andromeda episode

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success - Unknown

EarthWard

Postby EarthWard » 06 Jun 2010, 08:02

Davin those American Conservatives are doing a good job of blaming Obama for not reacting fast enough. I for one cannot completely disagree with them. This could cost him his presidency with each day that goes by. It is unfortunate but I think Obama will get more blame for this than BP, Bush, or Hallawhatever. Watching the live feeds http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/spill_cam/ I was glad to see welding sparks going on. Why wan't NASA and heavy machine operations called in as soon as this was detected? How could we sit back and let BP say "We got this. Nothing to see here. Move along" like officer Barbrady Image

Thats why I would like to focus more on the clean up/prevention efforts because the blame game is not going to go anywhere I would like it to go. Can you say Palin 2012? :(

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 19 Jun 2010, 21:01

album-Jeff-Beck-You-Had-It-Coming.jpg
album-Jeff-Beck-You-Had-It-Coming.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
What we really need now,
Is a reality check,
It is obvious, oil is history, but news for the moment.

Save, preserve and move ahead as if it is already gone..

Merlyn
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 20 Jun 2010, 02:12

The only reason I can think of for Obama's tardy response is that he could have been giving BP a chance to step up and do the right thing in the first place, without the government interfering. That, and the fact that Obama (and presidents from long ago) is beholden to Big Oil for its contributions to his campaign. Always about the money...
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 20 Jun 2010, 07:25

Big Oil for its contributions to his campaign. Always about the money...
Hey didn't the supreme court just take the cap off of corporate donations to campaigns?? I wonder what the next election will be like, perhaps the BP CEO will run for president. :wink:
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Postby Kernos » 20 Jun 2010, 20:14

I'm not sure what people really expect Obama or the Feds to do. They are not experts at capping runaway oil wells. Oil companies are. They are the only ones who have a chance of capping this well. Governments should definitely be involved in clean-up and I am glad to see communities saying FU to BP and the authorities and doing their own thing. I hate to see the 'justice' system get involved, and they will, because I suspect as in the past they will ultimately support the oil companies, esp. the Supreme Court as they did with Exxon-Valdez. I also think Congress and they way we elect them is a big part of the problem. Eveyone in Congress is owned by some special interest, those with lots of money.

The Feds should have been proactive and not allowed to deep water drill in the 1st place. The boilerplate safety plans are outrageous and that is the fault of whatever part of the civil service approves drilling. I am sure the rubberstamping of licenses to giant corporations has been going on for generations. Money is power. Obama has nothing to do with this. What do you expect him to do. Read and personally approve every proposal submitted to a government agency? And, everyone should know that the civil service, the bureaucrats who really run the government are emplaced forever. Their inertia cannot be oversome with our present system.

IMO, this was inevitable. And, I think the best this that will come out of this is that your average person will finally see that environmental can directly effect them personally and in masses. Mark my words, ("let me be perfectly clear") much worse than this disaster is coming. Wait until decades long droughts/floods effect the North American food basket. We have not experienced food wars in recent history. What do you think the US will do if it cannot feed its people? Our economy may suck (perhaps permanently), but we still have the biggest guns, by far.

:gloomy:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 21 Jun 2010, 06:19

The "rubber-stamping" was certainly going on. The paperwork presented by BP said that the chances of a blow-out were nil. They also said that in the event of a minor leak, walruses would completely safe.

Think they might've just used a lease they printed out in , maybe, the Arctic?

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 22 Jun 2010, 04:57

We have Republican Politicians openly apologising to BP for the harsh treatment they are receiving.

Should we as Druids draft a group apology to BP?

Or can someone explain/excuse this behaviour away for me?

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 22 Jun 2010, 06:10

There is no explanation other than manipulative posturing. We no longer have a democracy over here; we've got a corporate oligarchy, and that idiot from Texas doesn't want to lose his hand-out from Big Oil... Why are the idiots always from Texas? :whistle:

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 22 Jun 2010, 09:46

There is no explanation other than manipulative posturing. We no longer have a democracy over here; we've got a corporate oligarchy, and that idiot from Texas doesn't want to lose his hand-out from Big Oil... Why are the idiots always from Texas? :whistle:
Because "Everything is bigger in Texas"
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2010, 11:31

Or can someone explain/excuse this behaviour away for me?
Patience, Davin...this thread is only 4 pages old....anyway, I think it as already been suggested here that BP is not at fault..it is, indeed, mostly our fault...perhaps we need to apologize to ourselves.

I need to go practice my tolerance and balance now. :tiphat:

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 17:17

Why, do You feel the need to apologise? :)

What would You want to be done right now?

BTW: Davin Raincloud, I really liked Your avatar - You know, that one You used to use before You "ran off". It made me smile every time I saw it.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2010, 17:34

Why, do You feel the need to apologise? :)
Of course! We all use oil, thus it is our own fault. BP and Chevron, et al. just made an honest mistake...we all make mistakes! I spilled my coffee just this morning. If it wasn't for our use of oil, BP would never have been forced by us to drill for oil, and at such a rapid pace that we didn't allow them time to do it safely or make it profitable enough. I feel really bad for BP. How about we just reword the Republican Party's apology:
We apologize. We do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong it is subject to some sort of political pressure that is -- again, in our words -- amounts to a shakedown. So we apologize.
Signed,

The Druids
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 5881533928

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 18:44

Of course! We all use oil, thus it is our own fault. BP and Chevron, et al. just made an honest mistake...we all make mistakes! I spilled my coffee just this morning. If it wasn't for our use of oil, BP would never have been forced by us to drill for oil, and at such a rapid pace that we didn't allow them time to do it safely or make it profitable enough. I feel really bad for BP. How about we just reword the Republican Party's apology:
We apologize. We do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong it is subject to some sort of political pressure that is -- again, in our words -- amounts to a shakedown. So we apologize.
Signed,

The Druids
For whose use did You spill Your coffee, heh? Now, that's the difference. If You brought me some coffee ... well, You'd be excused, because I can be very demanding and putting pressure on coffee-bearers.

Did I mention, that I want "to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong it is subject to some sort of political pressure"?

But if, while we're rewording others' peoples apologies here, the Four Sisters, Justice, Blame, Guilt and Rosemary, would step into our way and asked: "Say, DJ Drood, what are you about to do? Aren't you by the deed you're about to do, wreaking havoc on us and the whole Kosmos? Or do you think it's still possible that the well-ordered Kosmos of Sister Dike still exists and won't totally be broken down, in which Just Cause is subdued to Public Opinion?" What shall we answer, o DJ Drood?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2010, 18:56

But if, while we're rewording others' peoples apologies here, the Four Sisters, Justice, Blame, Guilt and Rosemary, would step into our way and asked: "Say, DJ Drood, what are you about to do? Aren't you by the deed you're about to do, wreaking havoc on us and the whole Kosmos? Or do you think it's still possible that the well-ordered Kosmos of Sister Dike still exists and won't totally be broken down, in which Just Cause is subdued to Public Opinion?" What shall we answer, o DJ Drood?
I can't say that I fully understand your string of words, but I will light a candle for the Kosmos... :candle: it is the least I can do...

perhaps purchase some Dawn Dish Detergent...Image (I see they are also opposed to indigenous hunting practices...that makes them green!)

...maybe buy Sting's latest album. He was on Larry King's telethone last night.

I suppose I could travel to the Gulf and do "volunteer" work for BP.

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 19:33

There's no Dawn detergent in Germany!
We have to try this:
terra.jpg
terra.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
"Don't wonder" they would say "about the string of words, but respond, as you are used to ask and answer. Say: What incrimination have you got against us, that you invoce ruin on us? Hasn't it been us at first to manage the marriage of your mother and father and your creation? Hasn't it been us to assure you were not accused of deeds undone by you and to call the reputation of justice on your head and your kind? Want you vituperate us?"
"No, I won't vituperate you for that" we would say.
"Then" they would say "why are you vilifying our fame by degrading accusations, saying we're not worth a dime, our face were not a reflection of Dike's beauty, our words not worth a single haler?
When, in old times, you acknowledged our right to speak and are thankful for the status and fame we have given you and your kind, when never you wanted and did vituperate us for our deeds, when always we have been worthy enough to be your guests, eat at your table and converse with you and your kind, why then don't you listen to our sweet word anymore but find it too bitter to swallow?"

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2010, 19:41

There's no Dawn detergent in Germany!
We have to try this:
[/attachment]
Yes, but Dawn tm is the "official" detergent of the oil spill:

I think you owe Dawn an apology. In fact, I think we all do.

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 19:50

I apologise. I do not want to live in a country where the efforts of any citizen or corporation to have the biggest profit, be it on the account of environment, flora or fauna, or by capitalising people's feelings or attempt to do something good, and where this effort is seen as legitimately wrong and thus is subject to some sort of peer pressure. So I honestly apologise.
Sorry, I couldn't use the word "shakedown". I apologise.

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 19:56

Sorry, I was distracting from the topic.
Who is to blame, then?

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 22 Jun 2010, 21:20

I just wanted to clean my toilet, when I heard news on the radio. Sorry if I don't get the words right.

A US court, they said, has stopped the drilling-ban in the gulf of Mexico, because the government had no evidence of dangers done by drilling. 32 corporations went to court and the judge said that the drilling-ban would damage a whole ecosystem of corporations, at random.

:spiral: :sick:

Sorry for not giving any sources - it was just the German radio, which might give wrong information - hopefully, I dare say.

Do You know anything about that?

Return to “Environmental Issues”