Ideas for Environmentally Healthy Living

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Re: Ideas for Environmentally Healthy Living

Postby Dryadia2 » 20 Nov 2007, 15:59

I'm adding this link for "The Good Gardeners Association", originally posted by Sleep in another thread: "Dig or No-Dig U might Dig this".
http://www.goodgardeners.org.uk/
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

karin_68

Postby karin_68 » 15 Apr 2008, 12:11

This is just an idea, ... not a specific website to mention, but, maybe, you could do something with the idea.
I am for some years already part of an internet group with people all over The Netherlands and Belgium. The original thought of the group was to consume less, and to give tips to each other. Until someone had something that she or he wanted to get rid of. But, the idea was then, that maybe someone else could use that ... and thus, since then we list those things on the list. (thus, a kind of second hand shop, only, we don't charge money for the goods, the one person is happy with the extra space and the other one is happy that she or he found what they were looking for.)
To bring these things from one place to another, ... the people of this group use 'lines'. TO bring something from place A to D for example, one person brings it from A to B on her/his route to work, or whatever, ... then, someone else brings it from B to C ... and so on. It is a green way for bringing non-urgent things from one place to another.

Another tip ... reduce detergents. Normally, companies always want to be sure you use enough, ... thus, they advise you to use too much. If you reduce the advised amount by half until you really think it does its purpose you use less detergent, and the environmental damage is less.

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 15 Apr 2008, 16:55

Thanks for the tips, Karin_68!
There are Yahoo groups that make it easy for people to give away unwanted items. :recycle:
Here are some links to 'The Freecycle Network':
http://www.freecycle.org/
United States:
http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1
Other Countries:
http://www.freecycle.org/group/?noautodetect=1
"Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community."
I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, as I usually put any unwanted items out on the curb (before trash pickup day), and someone 'takes them away', before the garbage truck gets them. :grin:
:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Holly
OBOD Bard

Postby Holly » 19 Sep 2008, 02:07

Some of you know that Tionnsgainn and I are currently planning our wedding. We didn't want to buy favors for guests that just clutter space or are thrown away, so we're doing "green" wedding favors. Each guest will receive a seed packet to plant, and our wedding attendants will each receive a tree to plant. We're also thinking of using Endangered Species chocolate bars as part of the desserts. Green favors are great for any sort of special occasion, not just weddings, and this is one of the sites that has been really helpful for us. If you google "green favors" you can find plenty of things, including invitations that can be planted.

http://www.greatgreenwedding.com/favors.php

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 19 Sep 2008, 04:04

What a great idea! :idea:
Thanks for the link, Holly! :shake:

amethystDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby amethystDragon » 19 Sep 2008, 09:28

Have just noticed this thread and its something dear to my heart so I've got to add a few of my favourite sites

http://downsizer.net - Wonderful web resource and engaging forums

http://rivercottage.net - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's website and forums

http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/ - The website of Dick Strawbridge and his family who featured in the BBC series of the same name - Another great resource

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/ - Another site in a similar vein - this one particularly geared to those living in less than ideal situations (inner city flats etc)

http://www.cat.org.uk - Centre for Alternative Technology - The world leading centre showing practical solutions to environmental problems to carry us into the twenty-first century

There are others but I think these offer a great start for anyone
Circle of the Four Dragons

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 17 Oct 2008, 16:22

Here's a site with links to places that recycle doorknobs, radiators, windows, toothbrushes, foam packing "peanuts," sneakers, wine corks, motor oil, formal dresses, eyeglasses, computers, and cell phones: 10 Things to Recycle That You Never Thought You Could
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

myryth

Postby myryth » 09 Nov 2008, 19:36

A wonderful, comprehensive source is "Organic Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck.

Let's also not forget that plain water, a little elbow grease, and a dry towel works wonders.

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 10 Nov 2008, 02:05

Greetings and Welcome Myryth!

Thank you for book info, and the 'wise' reminders. :shake:

Etain

Postby Etain » 21 Aug 2009, 15:47

For the other parents amongst us.... www.thegreenparent.co.uk a great website, magazine and forum!

Etain
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 08 Dec 2010, 14:09

Here is a list from the OBOD site..thanks to Corwen for pointing it out:

1. Try eliminating or reducing meat consumption: the most wasteful and polluting way of producing food. (Download the Vegetarian Society's informative booklet 'Why It's Green to Go Vegetarian')

2. Don't waste energy: turn the heating down; insulate; wear more clothes

3. Drive as little as necessary: cycle where possible or walk

4. Refuse excessive packaging: or return it to the shops

5. Recycle what you can: plastics, metal, glass, paper

6. Compost organic waste: build a compost heap or get a bin

7. Reduce consumption: do you really need that much STUFF?

8. Don't fly: holiday at home [try camping, it's great fun and planet friendly]

9. Install energy efficient lightbulbs

10. Plant trees: in your garden or anywhere else you can find

11. Join an environmental, wildlife or conservation group and get active

12. Use less water: bath with a friend; don't flush after peeing; don't clean teeth with tap running

13. Install solar panels or a wind generator

14. Complain when you see wasteful behaviour: whether corporate or private

15. Write to your MP about bad government policies: like airport expansion and road building

http://www.druidry.org/modules.php?op=m ... page_id=81
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 23 Dec 2010, 15:25

locavore (eat foods from local growers, stop consuming products which require shipping from far away)

Work from home

Stop commuting

Cycle and then recycle. (Re-use, then recycle)

Tune up (check into heat systems, auto engine, anything using power to make it as efficient as possible.

Try walking now & then to the neighbor's house etc.

Stop being over-insured (most people pay three fold what is needed)

Grow your own (if possible) :grin:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Arcanum

Postby Arcanum » 15 Feb 2012, 07:58

Spend at least one day off the computer and entertain yourself outside :grin:
--------
Arcanum

I hang out here: Walking the Hedge

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 15 Feb 2012, 08:50

Or try and stay off the computer for most of the time and get outside and out and about, meeting people and finding avenues for creative and enjoyable community pursuits.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 21 Jan 2015, 08:07

The spam above (already reported) did do gravedigging on a nice topic though... gonna read through it sometimes in the next days... :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 22 Jan 2015, 15:22

Yes, old but gold. Can't fault the OBOD recommendations or Merlyn's supplement.

I shall also emphasise the importance of insulation. The advice changed fairly recently (in the UK) - loft insulation is now 270 millimetres for glass wool, 250 millimetres for rock wool or 220 millimetres for cellulose. Insulation always pays for itself in about five years.

I'll also add a warning to treat microfluorescents (energy saving lightbulbs) carefully as the white mercury in one of them can contaminate more than 4,500 litres (1,000 gallons) of water beyond safe levels. Dispose of them at the larger electrical or DIY stores - they should have a special container. If you break one, using kitchen gloves, pat the glass and residue up with a damp cloth into a plastic bag. Wipe down the gloves carefully after use and put the cloth into the bag too. Tie it up and dispose of in the aforementioned facility.

We seem to be moving on from those towards LEDs now although until building regs include low voltage lighting and computer circuit power rings, we're stuck with the wasteful transformers all over the place. Something to lobby for.

A little less mainstream - we know that baths use about 90 litres of water and showers only around 45 but a bucket and a car sponge uses 16 - 20 litres and only costs £2 to install. Just a thought.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 23 Jan 2015, 02:45

The spam referenced by Shadow Cat (and the spammer) no longer exist. Thanks, spam reporters. Please carry on. :)
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

soulinchains
OBOD Bard

Postby soulinchains » 29 Jan 2015, 19:12

Greetings!
We try to live very environmentally. We have a cistern and we buy our water .Our well is sulfur so we chose not to use that water because we would have to use so many unnecessary chemicals. We use our water very sparingly . We Only buy 1000 gallon very two months. WE use the public laundry matt to wash our clothes because we can use less water and gas by doing three huge loads rather than 12 small loads at our home. We pay a premium to force our power provider to purchase wind or solar power. WE are quite active in in Anti Fracking community. My Partner is a aerospace engineer who works with green energy and he is an inventor.
We recycle everything we can and buy things that leave a smaller footprint. We grow most of our food and are vegans. Well Im trying to convert him but since Im doing the cooking he eats what I serve :P.
If your interested in green energy you can visit our web site. I have to update it but its still a lot of good ADVICE there. http://www.usenergyindependence.com
Some times the hacker get control of our web site and I have to redo it.

Return to “Environmental Issues”