Old VHS?

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Karl

Old VHS?

Postby Karl » 03 Nov 2011, 14:50

I recently had to send to landfill a swathe of old VHS cassettes, I had looked for recycling schemes but not much came back (one involved posting them to London (max. 100), for a fee).

Does anyone know of a better method? I had considered breaking them up so I could at least recycle the plastic outer casing but didn't know what type it was. And our cat has a taste for any type of magnetic tape, silly thing.

I know lots of friends have boxes of the things stacked away in attics, so if anyone knows I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
Karl
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Old VHS?

Postby DJ Droood » 03 Nov 2011, 15:27

I know lots of friends have boxes of the things stacked away in attics, so if anyone knows I'd be grateful.
It is so true..how fast our cutting edge technology becomes an embarrassment hiding in the attic...I guess that is just postponing things though. Sometimes if you hang on to something useless long enough, it becomes of value again. You know what I think? Today's landfills will be the open-pit mines of tomorrow.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 03 Nov 2011, 17:43

Funny , but the same thing happened to me this week , i only had about 10 , i put a couple on Amazon
(though i don't hold much hope for them to be sold) .
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Lorraine S.

Postby Lorraine S. » 04 Nov 2011, 00:57

Many towns here have recycling bins for VHS tapes, books and DVDs. Some are shipped elsewhere, some are broken down for recycling. Many towns in my state now have single stream recycling so it doesn't matter what plastic "number" it is, it can be recycled. I think it is a step in the right direction.

Are there any thrift stores that will take them for resale, either non-profit or for profit? Donation to a nursing home (commercially made ones) or other such place maybe? Or you could stack them together in a creative way using some adhesive etc. and make a nifty looking bookcase!

Karl

Postby Karl » 04 Nov 2011, 12:22

Alas, they're even out of date for the Charity shops - they won't accept them!

Unfortunately our local recycling facilities are pretty pernickity on plastics they do and don't take, I had looked up ideas for cool retro furniture, but I'm not too keen on plastics or indeed 'retro'.

And I agree, Mr. Droood, I read that waste heaps will be strip seached for selenium (I think) as a vital but hard to find material in computer chips. Have you seen the film Idiocracy by the way?
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 04 Nov 2011, 18:33

We found a solution for lots of things like old VHS tapes. We take it to an auction house. There isn't much money of course, for things like this, but we get a little cash and the various things find a home.
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Return to “Environmental Issues”