Veganism for environment

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DebMc
OBOD Bard

Re: Veganism for environment

Postby DebMc » 06 Jun 2013, 00:17

Greetings!

I am SO glad there are fellow vege-vegan-loca-vore types here and that folks treat each others views thoughtfully.

I don't have a handy label to apply to what I WILL eat, but I WON'T eat: mammals, birds, humans or extraterrestrials, or any of their bodily secretions or products. I recently broke down at the offer of a sip of mango lassi (actually a couple of big swills) and couldn't breathe for the phlegmy allergic reaction to which anyone who's quit and then restarted dairy can attest. I avoid fish for welfare and conservation reasons, but my OH my wild-caught salmon... I also love fresh-picked oysters, cooked in the half shell with hot sauce, though again there are conservation arguments against this... I eat honey, wild and local. I also help with the shearing, picking, and carding of sheep fleece, and, though my spinning and knitting efforts are pretty poor, I'm happy to wear locally-made (sheep to shop) wool clothing.

Okay so full disclosure: I do my best to avoid eggs, but I also tend to fall apart around baked goods. There IS a fabulous vegan bakeshop on Salt Spring, but it's a fifteen minute car ride from here, whereas the eggs come from the very cheerful hen house next door, so...

I also own one pair of orthopedic leather shoes for me arthritis :old:

I remind myself that if I can be a vegan 90% of the time, that's still an 'A' grade.

My concern is for the respectful treatment of animals, whether or not they're 'nice' to one another. I see them as beings whose lives matter to them, and I don't want to be a part of the killing of anything with basic insight/self-awareness. Sorry carrots, but so far as I know that doesn't include you. And I'm not sure it includes salmon, but the jury's out on that one...

I'm not against other people SKILLFULLY hunting for food (for example, the deer here are in danger of destroying their own ecosystem, mostly because human activity has created the opportunity for their population to explode, which leaves yet another species in a fine mess of human making). BUT recreational spearhunting while dressed like your fave world or warcraft character makes me really angry ...

I step over ants to avoid treading on them... When I look out at the stars and think that so much of the universe, so far as we know, is gases and rock in a vacuum... Well life is so rare, and we have the even rarer gift of being able to appreciate that... why squish it if you don't have to?

Okay that's my ten cents.

Bright Blessings,

Deb

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 09 Jun 2013, 21:32

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... urger.html
A hamburger patty made from lab-grown meat — or "schmeat" — is expected to be unveiled and grilled later this month at an event in London that is highly anticipated by animal rights activists and other backers.

"The vision for this burger is really to attract support, to attract funding," said social sciences researcher Neil Stephens in an interview with CBC's The Current host Anna Maria Tremonti. "And I'm sure it will because it's a very enticing idea for many people."

Stephens, a professor at Cardiff University in Wales, has been studying the ethical and cultural issues around in vitro meat and has interviewed all the key scientific figures in the field.

'In vitro meat provides a way for people to be able to eat ethically, while still kind of getting that meat fix.'—Lindsay Rajt, PETA

Among them is Mark Post, a physiologist at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, who grew the meat for the upcoming burger unveiling in his lab. The development of the 140-gram patty has taken two years and cost €250,000 ($338,000). Stephens said the funding needed to scale up the process to something commercially viable is one of the biggest obstacles right now on the journey of in vitro meat from the lab and the supermarket.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

WrenWyrd
OBOD Bard

Postby WrenWyrd » 10 Sep 2013, 13:29

Since expensiveness was mentioned as a concern on this thread, I thought I'd post this link about being vegan on a budget http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/fo ... -a-budget/

Mmm plants :acorns:
Hedge-bandit, song-bomb, dart-beak, the wren
hops in the thicket, flirt-eye; shy, brave,
grubbing, winter's scamp, but more than itself–
ten requisite grams of the world's weight.
Carol Ann Duffy

Return to “Environmental Issues”