Carbon Day

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
JamesNewell

Carbon Day

Postby JamesNewell » 28 Feb 2014, 21:27

Perhaps some of you who are younger and in better health than I am could create a new yearly holiday for humanity called Carbon Day.

There would be parades in which groups of people dressed up as Carbon would march, each dressed in black, with a necklace of lumps of coal carved into skulls, each with a staff, at the top of which would be a model of the CO2 molecule and a small coffin. Other people would create various floats and other marching groups.

There would also be a special Carbon Day dinner. This might include Flood Soup, made with pasta shaped like small people, vegetables shaped like houses, etc. and perhaps Famine Bread, baked in 1 inch loaves, and for dessert, perhaps Tornado Meringues, small meringues shaped like tornadoes.

Jim

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Carbon Day

Postby Aphritha » 01 Mar 2014, 03:21

That's actually an awesome idea. If a parade couldn't be arranged, it'd make for a great ritual and feast.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 01 Mar 2014, 07:23

That was a great idea!

On the other side I also think it is a good idea to make more out of the "Earth Hour" that we already have. We could have made it into an entire day with parades and rites and so on. Sadly, I don't have many like-minded around where I live, so it can only be a dream for me.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 01 Mar 2014, 22:34

What's Earth Hour?

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 02 Mar 2014, 09:57

Earth Hour is held once a year, late in March. The only thing you need to do to join Earth Hour is to turn off all your lights for one hour, but you can also join events if any is held where you live.

It all started some years ago as a symbolic event to show the world's leaders that the people wanted to save the planet. You can read more about Earth Hour here:
http://www.earthhour.org/

or watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNLlcah ... 66DVj3QTpJ

JamesNewell

Postby JamesNewell » 02 Mar 2014, 16:42

It would be possible to do both.

In addition, an earth hour float in the Carbon day parade would make more people aware of it.

Carbon day parades could start small, like a procession. Then, as people would become aware of the small parade, others would join.

Many people like joining in with something that exists already.

Jim

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 03 Mar 2014, 01:09

Thats very true. I wonder how one would go about getting an OK from the city to start such a parade.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 03 Mar 2014, 05:20

Many people like joining in with something that exists already.

Jim
Yes, I think it is easier to build on something that already has a platform. It would be less work and it wouldn't take so long to make it well known to people.

JamesNewell

Postby JamesNewell » 04 Mar 2014, 17:13

The method would vary from city to city so one would have to ask what the procedure is.

What alternative would you build on? That might be a possibility. If you can think up something, it would have to educate at least the same number of people on the dangers of glocal warming.

Jim

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 05 Mar 2014, 06:19

I was thinking of the Earth Hour and all the big Earth Hour events around the world in my last post also.

Or did you mean if there are other alternatives to build on as well, that would suit better than the Earth Hour?

JamesNewell

Postby JamesNewell » 05 Mar 2014, 17:01

On parade permits, if a city is unwilling to close off streets, or wants too much money to do so, it could start out with a sidewalk procession, and the floats could be light papier-mache, each carried by several people. After two or three years, as the procession became popular, it would be easy to expand it into a regular parade.

It would be possible to make the Carbon Day parade into an Earth Hour parade if people wished, still with all the details of the Carbon Day parade. I think only a parade would be spectacular enough to force the media to cover it. By itself, Earth Hour might be mentioned as something cute, but it won't be seriously covered, because most of the media is owned by the corporations. With it's obvious symbolisms, just covering the parade and showing it would get the message across, and the media compete, so can't not cover something major. To be really major, the parades would need to build up in a number of different countries.

Jim

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Mar 2014, 18:19

On parade permits, if a city is unwilling to close off streets, or wants too much money to do so, it could start out with a sidewalk procession, and the floats could be light papier-mache, each carried by several people. After two or three years, as the procession became popular, it would be easy to expand it into a regular parade.
Good idea...

Return to “Environmental Issues”