Native American Recommended Book?

Library for Circle of Stones topics
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Karl

Native American Recommended Book?

Postby Karl » 31 Jan 2012, 22:07

I would like to dip my toe into Native American beliefs at the moment, and I wondered if anyone could recommend a book which gives a good overview of underlying beliefs, stories, metaphors, myths and rituals of the many tribes?

Interestingly I have heard of Pagan Druids, Christian Druids, Islamic druids, but not yet and connaction to Native Americans, despite both being a very nature orientated system. Are there any among us?

Thank you
Karl
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Jake
OBOD Ovate

Re: Native American Recommended Book?

Postby Jake » 01 Feb 2012, 02:05

I recommend God is Red and The World We Used to Live In, both by Vine Deloria.

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 01 Feb 2012, 03:36

Karl, nice topic :) and Jake, I look forward to checking those out :o

I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, since I haven't finished reading it myself and have forgotten much of what I did read :oops: ; however for what it's worth, 'Honoring the Medicine - the Essential Guide to Native American Healing' came highly recommended to me. It does give a pretty broad background, to the best of my memory, of various Native American healing methods, materials, and philosophy.
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 01 Feb 2012, 07:41

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown and "1491:New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus" by Charles Mann are both quite good and quite extensive. "Native North American Spirituality of the Eastern Woodlands: Sacred Myths, Dreams, Visions, Speeches, Healing Formulas, Rituals and Ceremonials" by Elizabeth Tooker is supposed to be quite good but I have not read it. The problem you run into is the notion that we're talking about several hundred different nations across the continent with many different belief systems and practices. There seems to be a tendency to focus on the spiritualities of the nomadic people of the plains (simply because they were fortunate enough to exist well into historic times) to the exclusion of the more complex spiritualities of the more settled farmer types of both the southwest and the eastern woodlands. For instance, the mound builders of the Mississippian period with their extensive temple, burial and habitational constructs pose a quite fascinating study in complex late Stone Age societies in the New World. So there is no real single focus for Native American spirituality. You might want to explore some of the many legends and myths that can be found on the internet. I rather like the Natchez myths found at: http://www.native-languages.org/choctaw-legends.htm. Just watch out for the Kowi Anukasha. :)

fulbert-avebury
OBOD Bard

Postby fulbert-avebury » 01 Feb 2012, 16:40

Thanks for these recommendations, I just ordered a copy of God is Red (as recommended).

I have never known much about Native American spirituality, though what I do know about it seems very close to druidry on many levels. In some ways it speaks more to my experiences, as a focus on Celtic-specific references does not readily touch me or relate to my experiences.

Jeffrey

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 01 Feb 2012, 19:23

I recommend God is Red and The World We Used to Live In, both by Vine Deloria.
I whole-heartedly second this reference. Paula Gunn Allen's The Sacred Hoop could easily become a druid favourite, too. I would generally recommend books written by known tribal members rather than give support to generalizations and perpetuate cultural appropriation. I feel very strongly about this topic, but I think it's best not to meddle too closely with the religion of peoples whose beliefs have been so heavily exploited. For more info on appropriation, have a quick look at these links:
http://newagefraud.org/
http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.com/

Karl

Postby Karl » 02 Feb 2012, 14:32

Thank you for the recommendations, I will have a closer look! :grin: :grin:

And Kima, I am very concious of how opinions and generalisations can break down the deeper spirituality of a belief system, I am hoping to learn from as close to direct sources as possible, rather than a 'white man's interpretation'. I mean, look how wildly varying the opinions are of ancient druids!

I find it hard not to end up angry about Native American history, how they were/are viewed and the atrocities comitted against them. The least I can do is respect their culture and seek understanding.
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 02 Feb 2012, 16:28

You may find this site worth exploring: http://survivalring.org/lodge/?page_id=634

fulbert-avebury
OBOD Bard

Postby fulbert-avebury » 02 Feb 2012, 19:15

You may find this site worth exploring: http://survivalring.org/lodge/?page_id=634
Art, this is quite an interesting site; thanks for sharing the reference.

Say, I could not find much information to show who writes this site or how current it is / is maintained. Have you ever had any contact with the site's authors or editors / facilitators?

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 02 Feb 2012, 21:26

[quote="jeffreykeeferSay, I could not find much information to show who writes this site or how current it is / is maintained. Have you ever had any contact with the site's authors or editors / facilitators?
Jeffrey[/quote]

That site was a quick find and I don't know much about it. I did find some of it a bit radical but overall it has some good information. Another site worthy of mention is: http://miafisher.net/Twinkies.html in that it has a pretty good cautionary tale about twinkies.:) This one: http://mike-boucher.com/wordpress/?page_id=207 is a fair overview of Choctaw religion which, as was mentioned, is only one of the hundreds of different spiritual systems present in the Americas.

CedarMist

Postby CedarMist » 09 Dec 2012, 06:17

I know this is an old thread, but I can't help echoing the cautions given in earlier replies-- if you are seeking 'Native American' spirituality for the purpose of practicing it, I'm going to have to advise against going any further. There are HUNDREDS of individual beliefs (not one pan-Native one), which are all different and all connected to the land, community, language, and culture of the people it belongs to. They are not open religions, and every Nation I've ever heard of is not okay with 'sharing'. While learning about these beliefs in an anthropological/philosophical/theological way is totally fine (even encouraged), trying to practice any of them is really not. Please accept my sincere apologies if I am misinterpreting your intentions, but the phrase "dip my toe in," to me, heavily implies participation and adoption. If you're merely interested because of its being a nature-based and community-based set of beliefs, then feel free to ignore what I've said.

You asked also if there are Natives among the ranks here. Hi, I'm Native! Proudly Pagan for 9 years.

To be honest, I've been interested in Druidry because I see it as being able to blend my cultural and philosophical beliefs together in a way I find to be promising. However, the neo-Pagan community at large can be a fairly unwelcoming place to Aboriginal persons (almost never on purpose, of course!) because people look to take from us, imitate us, or make money off of poor representations of our beliefs. The reason I've jumped to a conclusion about the original post is because it's so common that people believe they can 'convert to Native American' online or by reading alone. It's become a very touchy subject, despite the good intentions of those who raise it. I recommend these articles if you'd like to know a bit about this: http://www.muiniskw.org/pgIssues2_Seekers.htm and http://atriptothemorg.wordpress.com/201 ... xty-ninth/ (language warning for that second one).

Again, none of this is meant to be personal, and I don't want you to think I've jumped to terrible conclusions about your intentions. I just hope people in general on the board will think very carefully before trying to put a "Native American" notch on their belt of religions (I cannot think of a less stretched metaphor at this time of night, haha). Practicing a cultural, community-based religion outside of the culture and community is not practicing that religion at all, but some sort of academic ghost of it.

Peace everyone,

Cedar
A sore Day, a red Day, e'er the New Sun rises.

Narvl-Years

Postby Narvl-Years » 10 Dec 2012, 23:33

Interestingly I have heard of Pagan Druids, Christian Druids, Islamic druids, but not yet and connaction to Native Americans, despite both being a very nature orientated system. Are there any among us?
Let us remember that it was the Welsh Prince Madoc that discovered America in 1170. He left behind the White Mandan Indian tribe. There had to be a few Druidic customs they knew about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madoc

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancest ... ndans.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7311697.stm

Kind regards,

Narvl Years :huh:

RedSky
OBOD Druid

Postby RedSky » 11 Dec 2012, 02:58

As a youth I read all Carlos Castaneda's stuff. He was madder than a hatter. I did ingest sacred substances and spend time in sacred spaces and had sacred experiences. I still fall back on meditations I derived from his stuff. I wouldn't undo any of that. It would take very special circumstances for me to try some of those things again. I may have met actual shaman but they did not reveal themselves. My spirit allies and totems did. Today I'm afraid you will need to weed out the showman from the shaman. Yesterdays drugstore Indian is today's spiritual tourist and where there is a market.... These cats were right about many of the sacred spaces though, which remain powerful regardless of the commercial desecration's of the years. At any rate I honor your quest and ask that you point out any decent literature on the subject.
Something tells me that Brother Narvl-Years may have more insights. Are there any among us? people of the earth are people of the earth, geography and botany notwithstanding We seek the same things no matter our anthropological underpinnings. I think respect and mindful awareness are key.

Peace be with you.
/|\ redsky

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 11 Dec 2012, 04:30

I would like to dip my toe into Native American beliefs at the moment, and I wondered if anyone could recommend a book which gives a good overview of underlying beliefs, stories, metaphors, myths and rituals of the many tribes?

Thank you
Karl

It varies from tribe to tribe, each has there own language, stories and faith. though I'm sure many are similar.
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Return to “Circle of Stones Classics”