December Seminar: The Ancestors in (my) Druidry

Welcome to the Speakers' Corner, where members presented monthly seminars.

Moderators: Bracken, Oakapple

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Jake
OBOD Ovate

Re: December Seminar: The Ancestors in (my) Druidry

Postby Jake » 01 Jan 2011, 22:15

DJ, from one genealogy nut to another, this is awesome. Thank you!

In addition to the connection to the past and one's ancestors, genealogy can also help develop a sense of connection to the present and just how closely related we are to one another. After researching "back" on any of my lines, I love to move "forward" from a common ancestor and see how many lines I can trace into the present.

My family tree is published online and I've lost track of how many fifth cousins (for some reason they really tend to be fifth cousins) I've made contact with. And I love being able to help distant cousins fill in the blanks in their family history as I've been helped so many times by others.

I would echo some of the other advice presented here for those just beginning their genealogical research. Be prepared to face the truth about your ancestors even if it's unpleasant or if the facts you uncover contradict treasured family stories. For instance, your ethnic origins may not be what you were told they were, the war hero may turn out to have been a deserter, or you could discover that one of your 3rd great-grandfathers may have been the result of a "non-paternal event." Be prepared to face resistance to uncomfortable facts from members of your family, especially the older ones.

And don't fall into the common trap of focusing all your efforts on the line from which you inherit your surname. Remember that you are every bit as related to your mother's father's mother's mother's father's mother as you are to your direct patrilineal ancestor even though you may bear his name. Embrace the whole web of connections. And have fun!

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 01 Jan 2011, 22:29

DJ, from one genealogy nut to another, this is awesome. Thank you!
My pleasure!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 02 Jan 2011, 08:22

Thanks for this, DJD--really enjoyed reading it. It reminds me that I need to dust off the family history records that I started assembling a number of years ago and delve back into the world of GEDCOM files and third cousins once removed. It's been ages since I tried to crack through those brick walls that keep me from finding more of my roots--maybe somebody else has gotten somewhere by now and I'd find more if I got back into it... A good New Year's resolution!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 02 Jan 2011, 13:49

Thanks for this, DJD--really enjoyed reading it. It reminds me that I need to dust off the family history records that I started assembling a number of years ago and delve back into the world of GEDCOM files and third cousins once removed. It's been ages since I tried to crack through those brick walls that keep me from finding more of my roots--maybe somebody else has gotten somewhere by now and I'd find more if I got back into it... A good New Year's resolution!

A nice thing you may discover when doing family research is there is already a retired cousin somewhere who is way more into genealogy than you and has already compiled most of the key information...the real trick is finding her/him!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 11 Jan 2011, 22:02

Oh, yes, I've gotten enormous chunks of good data from heretofore unknown cousins who've been working on the lines for years, traveling to remote courthouses and poring through old records...distant cousins are a wonderful resource!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Return to “The Speakers' Corner”