Feb 2013 - Seminar: The Romans invasion of Mona

Welcome to the Speakers' Corner, where members presented monthly seminars.

Moderators: Bracken, Oakapple

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Gallobhaí
OBOD Bard

Re: Feb 2013 - Seminar: The Romans invasion of Mona

Postby Gallobhaí » 18 Feb 2013, 12:35

Hi Craigen,
I thoroughly enjoyed your seminar. I find classical and ancient history fascinating. I was wondering if you ever did any research into Pharaoh Amenhotep III, or Akhenaten as he is also known? I find it very interesting that you would compare the Roman treatment of religion in Egypt to that in Albion(British Isles) considering this character. Sigmund Freud and other intellectuals have hypothesized that this figure, or his brother Tuthmoses, may have been the Biblical figure Moses and subsequently the progenitor of Judeo-Christianity or Atenism to use a Egypt-centric term.
The alternate history movement is fundamentally based around the notion that the ancient Egyptian Amenist religion was a global spiritual college starting in Europe and moving east and south, holarchic in its structure and was to empower mankind spiritually and intellectually building immense structures predating the pyramids and maybe even the Pyramids themselves, and the monotheistic Atenist religion introduced by Amenhotep iii was a hierarchical and psychopathic subversive structure bent on the suppression of the knowledge of spiritual and intellectual growth to create an enslaved population.
Researchers like Conor MacDari and more recently Michael Tsarion( who gives an in-depth and overwhelming bibliography to his writings) describe this ancient oppressive religion in-depth and how it continues to affect our world right up until the present day in all its various current forms.
Tsarion culminates the knowledge of all the major theorists and more in the work 'Irish Origins of Civilization'. He hypothesizes why there are Ancient Egyptian royalty from the time of Amenhotep iii buried in Ireland, baboon remains in megalithic sites, the similarities between the Goidelic languages, Hebrew and Egyptian, and the purge of the Amenist colleges, the theft and suppression of their knowledge for the few (secret societies) and the imposition of Atenism in its place.

Please do not discard this information by the mention of 'Atlantis' and 'Alien genetic manipulation' at the beginning. That was a study of the common themes of world mythologies and primative religions and is a previous work and doesn't feature in this work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1nSnlBdR0

It is this reason why I found it interesting that you compared Roman behaviour in Egypt to Roman behaviour in Albion. Both Rome and Egypt were Atenist at this point whereas Britain would have been Amenist.

This is not official History I know, and I don't necessarily buy into it, but I like to examine all possibilities however bizarre! Facts tell you what you should believe whereas rumours however farcical can oftentimes tell alot about the situation in which they were created and their relationship to the fact.

Also, In Terry Jones documentary Barbarians, he touches on themes that would seem to suggest that the History we are taught about the Celtic culture in Britain isn't accurate and is a distorted view of Roman propaganda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl96VLPCAqw

Also with regards to Druids and human sacrifice: In the book 'The Celtic Realms' by Dillon & Chadwick it states that human sacrifice carried out by the druids pertains to the execution of prisoners of gross immoral crime by ritual burning. This was carried out at an astrological time ordained by the druids. Some criminals were imprisoned for years until the stars were in the right position. It was not to appease a God, or a blood ritual, but a capitol punishment much like what we would have today in a lot of places.
Beannachtaí,
Gallobhaí.
:acorns:

craigen
OBOD Ovate

Postby craigen » 18 Feb 2013, 23:21

Hay Gallobhaí,

what a fantastic post! there are defiantly some points you rise that I would like to go and take a look at, as of right now I've not watched the links you posted, Ill watch them on Thursday and get back to you.

I know a bit about the Amarna Period, my lecturer in Middle Egyptian was working on cylindrical seals from the city. I really love that site, its isolation has lead to remarkable preservation, and added to that, as it was only used in the lifetime of Akhetaten it truly was a snap shot. I really enjoy the sculpture of the time, in particular the debate as to if the elongation of the forehead and bellies is stylistic or evidence of disease, but either way, I love it!
I think its important to remember that this period was seen as a heresy even by the ancient Egyptians, and his son's were to spend their short time on the throne trying to put right what their father had done. Lets not forget that 'the beloved of aten' was soon renamed 'the beloved of amun' thats Tutankhamun. Not only that but there are many reasons why he died, not least a militarty coup by Ay and Horemheb, which was followed by the mighty 19th dynasty and a surge in the power of both memphis and thebes.
It is this reason why I found it interesting that you compared Roman behaviour in Egypt to Roman behaviour in Albion. Both Rome and Egypt were Atenist at this point whereas Britain would have been Amenist.
do you mean at the time of the invasion, in which case Rome was still pagan? I may have miss read that though, I am dyslexic so it happens. But hay I defiantly will go away and look into the moses thing and the beginnings of monotheism.

As for the traditional view of celtic culture, well thats intresting too. Most of what i was taught at uni (i did not actually do a modual on the celts per se) was Barry Cunliffe's work, how ever I'm just in the middle of reading 'The Celts, Origins, Myths, Inventions' by John Collis, (thanks Giovanna) and it truly is making me think again about just who or what the celts were and if there is such a thing as the celts?

As for human sacrifice, my gut instinct is that the writers of the time would have known the difference between human sacrifce in a ritual setting and that of capitol punishment, but again the jury is out.

Thanks for giving me lots to think about, and im sure others will have a few things to say!

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 19 Feb 2013, 01:29

So to imagine that, one day, the Romans decided to wipe out the Druids, invaded Mona, slaughtered them all, burnt their groves and that was the end of them!!! Nah, I don't accept that.
Truth Whitemane. Working on that right now. Should have some credible news to share by the end of 2013.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Diviacus

Postby Diviacus » 23 Mar 2013, 12:32

Hello,

I am so pleased to read an objective review about the Mona island attack!
I have been studying this subject for several days (to answer a question on another forum), and I was so annoyed by all the "popular" sites claiming Anglesey as "the International center of the druids" specially attacked to wipe out the druids, that I could end up believing I was the only one not to be sure of that!
There is a so large gap between what has been written in the ancient times and what is "believed" today!
Thanks

craigen
OBOD Ovate

Postby craigen » 23 Mar 2013, 16:59

Your most welcome I'm glad you enjoyed it

Diviacus

Postby Diviacus » 23 Mar 2013, 17:58

I think we need to move away from thinking of Mona as a strong hold militarily, I think Mona was a centre of learning.
Do you have specific indications to believe Mona was a centre of learning?

craigen
OBOD Ovate

Postby craigen » 25 Mar 2013, 09:45

Place names on the island and cultural history suggest a Druidic history on the island, and the Romans did go there to end the threat of the Druids, so that would lead me to think that if its not a military HQ, by default it's a cultural HQ?

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 01 Apr 2013, 16:16

A massive thank you to Craigen for taking the last two months for this discussion. Please come back and do it again in the future.

It's time now for me to hand you over to OBOD member, Aphritha, and a wonderful seminar on druidry with children.

http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=42022

craigen
OBOD Ovate

Postby craigen » 01 Apr 2013, 21:00

Thanks for having me, it was a pleasure!

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 01 Apr 2013, 21:49

Nice acorn. :D

Return to “The Speakers' Corner”