Ogham Studies - Luis (Rowan)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Luis (Rowan)

Postby Fitheach » 12 Jun 2006, 05:47

St. Fian's Wood, Kildare, Ireland

:luis:
Please post your experiences, stories, meditations, inspiration, knowledge, poetry, etc. regarding the next ogham, the Rowan tree.  And please, continue to post on the Beith (Birch) as well!  Hopefully, these magical tree threads will continue to grow!

To get your creative juices started;

Luis

The bewitching Rowan Red
Maiden Tree of Brigid’s Day,
With her cloak of scarlet thread,
She dances with the Winter Fey.

Snow is still upon the ground,
She raises up her crimson hood,
And dances lightly all around,
Her berries bright as new shed blood.

Her realm the gentle mountain slopes,
Along the stony streams,
The sight of her can raise our hopes,
And remind us of our dreams.
Last edited by Fitheach on 17 Jul 2006, 23:39, edited 5 times in total.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

astrocelt

Postby astrocelt » 25 Jun 2006, 12:31

Sorbus aucupari is the Latin name for this Rowan Tree. It is also known under the name of the Mountain Ash. This is the European variety that was introduced into America during colonial times. However it has a native variety to which we can relate this information to also. This is the American Mountain Ash/Rowan its Latin name is Sorbus americana. It is native to the northeastern part of your country. It spreads from Newfoundland to Western Ontario also from Illinois to Georgia so my botanist friend tells me. There is a difference I understand within the shape of the leaves, the latter variety are a solid leaf about four inches long a little paler on the underside and its edge is a little jagged like a saw teeth. The European counterpart leaves are quite different but also very distinctive. They come from a central stem that eventually forms part of the tree branch. From this central axis comes between five to fifteen individual leaves, which reduce in size along its length.

Within Europe the Rowan favours an acid soil and a wet climate, idea for the climate of Ireland Scotland and Wales. The original species have been interbred with various varieties, which has allowed it to be adapted to most soils. It can now be found in many parts of these Islands. It's particular hardy tree that can thrive at a high altitude from normal deciduous trees. Where I write this, upon the side of the mountain 1000 feet up, those we planted eight years ago are growing well. It is very resistant to the high winds, which is often experienced here. The Rowan is a colonising tree very similar to the Birch its predecessor, open ground and plenty of light is one of its requirements. Similar to Birch its short lived in terms of a tree life.

When young its bark is a smooth shiny grey, as it matures this becomes much rougher. Within its bark, if you have the opportunity to take a close inspection, small breathing hole can be observed. I’m uncertain whether this is true for the Native American variety but I’m sure someone will say or educate me on this point. The Rowan is relative small it reaches a height of about 40ft, a slender trunk on which is a crown of ascending branches. The leaves as we have mentioned, point forward and descend in there size. They too correspond with its counterpart where the upper leaves are a darker shade than the colour underneath. Unlike the purple buds of the Birch these are a dark brown in colour.

The Rowan tree produces flowers that appear on a small bunch usually in May, also around the time of another Moon cross quarter celebration. These are seen as a creamy white bunch, inside which contains both the male and female parts to produce the later berries which carries the trees immortality within the material world. Once the flowers have been pollinated they slowly form a green berry, which is at the centre of the rainbow when we spoke of splitting the white light. The colour that this berry now turns is yellow, orange and red. They descend from the middle wavelength to the lowest. If you have a chance in the fall and locate either variety of this tree, take a close look at this Red Berry; one will observe that it has a perfect pentagram imbedded on each one.

In the fall or autumn when the birds begins to feed of the berries and disperse the seeds. For the adventurous, these too can be picked to produce a Rowan Berry Jelly or Jam which is high in Vitamin C. It is idea for those winter colds that we all suffer from at some time during this period. The leaves turn colour as the tree withdraws and takes in the food from the leaves ready to sustain it through the winter. These turn a yellow brown in colour and then fall to re-nourish the earth that has sustained it over the year. In turn the tree offers it’s thanks to her, as it waits another cycle.

As we are at Imboc it may be fitting to contribute this here. It may also give you an idea about the layers that are present within this Grove of trees; one has just begun to explore. I would also like to mention that Gods and Goddesses would be spoken about; you also have a choice on how you wish to perceive these. Indeed you may have another name for them. One can view these as their name implies or you can look at them as a story of explaining a person experience. It to can be a guide to an individual, or a way of explaining natural phenomena.

Astrocelt 1997

Blessings
Astrocelt
Instructor: Avalon Centre of Druidry http://www.avaloncollege.org/

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 03 Sep 2006, 18:43

According to the 'Auraicept':

Word Ogham of Morann Mac Main here. Li sula, delight of eye, that is luis, quicken tree, l, to wit, the flame.

Alphabet of word-oghams of Mac ind Oic here below. Cara ceathra, friend of cattle, elm. Cara, dear to the cattle is the elm for its bloom and for down. Hence it was put for the Ogham luis, quicken tree, l, for hence was quicken tree, l, put for it.

THIS IS SOW OGHAM: grey l

RIVER-POOL OGHAM:Lower Shannon 1

FORTRESS OGHAM: Liffey

BIRD OGHAM:lachu duck

COLOUR OGHAM: liath grey

CHURCH OGHAM:Laith

MAN (HUMAN BEING) OGHAM: two heroes
WOMAN OGHAM: two heroines

AGRICULTURAL OGHAM: loman rope

KING OGHAM: Labraidh

WATER OGHAM: two rivulets

DOG OGHAM: two  watch-dogs

OX OGHAM: two bulls

COW OGHAM: two milch cows

SAINT OGHAM: Laisren

ART OGHAM: pilotage
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 22:52

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Bran-Raeven
OBOD Bard

Re: Ogham Studies - Luis (Rowan)

Postby Bran-Raeven » 20 Oct 2008, 12:45

Hi all,

just wanted to add some artwork I have just done of one of my favourite trees, the rowan. This particular rowan tree is standing in our yard and I can see him from my window. He is guarding my dog's ashes and there is a red rose planted underneath him. I autumn he goes ablaze with beautiful fire colours.

I have recently taken place in a druid tree walk where a local druid told me the rowan tree is associated with fire dragon power.
dragonfire_rowan.jpg
Dragon Fire of the Rowan Tree
dragonfire_rowan.jpg (168.33 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

Greetings, Raeven

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 20 Oct 2008, 18:01

Very cool effect, Raeven!
Nice job! :clap:

:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Sylvanmoon
OBOD Bard

Postby Sylvanmoon » 12 Jan 2010, 19:07

Wow great artwork Raeven, :applause: what a nice way to remember an old friend.
Peace and Blessings, Sylvanmoon :)
Of all the trees that grow so fair,
Old England to adorn,
Greater are none beneath the Sun,
Than Oak,and Ash, and Thorn.
Rudyard Kipling.

Tuar_Ceatha

Postby Tuar_Ceatha » 07 Mar 2010, 01:41

I recently discovered that one of the surnames of my birth family is derived from the Rowan - and I had not known that. I always consider the Rowan the witch's tree so to find I am descended from the Son of the Rowan from a side of the family I considered least magical is heartening to me.

I have been trying to plant the sacred trees around my home and these last two years my longing for the fire on the mountain is so intense.

Blessed tree, I call to thee
Grace my land, my heart, my home
Let the fire of the mountain rise up in my sight
When in foreign lands I hap to roam
Bring in clear memory the spark of your light
When I am empty your magic fills
When I am full your direction is my dream
When weak in winter you cure my ills
When I am drifting you are my stream
Tree of my father's, my grandmother's proof
Your smoke is the source of vision
For the bed of my druidry you are the roof
For the mystery of passing you are the fission
Blessed tree
Blessed tree

Sylvanmoon
OBOD Bard

Postby Sylvanmoon » 07 Mar 2010, 09:09

:applause: :applause:
I keep planting Rowan tree's in my garden, the trouble is it's only small and I'm running out of space.
Of all the trees that grow so fair,
Old England to adorn,
Greater are none beneath the Sun,
Than Oak,and Ash, and Thorn.
Rudyard Kipling.

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 11 Nov 2010, 19:57

I believe I have lived where there are rowans. I am pretty sure I recognized largely as "one of those ones that has berries". Like most of the trees they do not like water as much as the willow trees do but they still like it.

I have read the other posts prior to making mine and I found them all to be very helpful. That they are the Mountain Ash, one of the ash trees helps. In England, the BDO introduced me to more than the Awen, and the Druid's Prayer - which is a lot already in some sense, [open rite at Avebury] but also to the song, "Oak and Ash and Thorn..." These types are mainstays of the British landscape. As I was foreign I found such a basic teaching to be of great help. If I were an arborist it might have seemed 'trite' at best.

Rowan is of the same cluster "the aicme of Beith/beth" in the Ogham as willow, as taught through OBOD with the Ovate course. I find that am more familiar with some of the trees from each aicme than with others. Luis, is a celtic name for the same.

In botany at university they would have taught the Latin. Latin is the language of scientific nomenclature in the 20th century at least - perhaps still in the 21st. How to form the ogham for rowan? Straight vertical line left, 2 centred horizontal lines point to the right.

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 23 Dec 2010, 09:15

What an eye opener.. there is nothing like pictures to convey messages, is there? Luis Rowan Ash is called "Eberesche" in German, as in "Lesser Ash". It is probably called Ash due to its leaves that are like theirs, but is of course no relation. Its healing properties are not that well known, but its fruits aid the digestive system as well as the bronchial. And they are not poison, at least not when cooked (as the alder's) and when uncooked they are so terribly bitter that it's almost pointless to wonder if there's any poison. They contain lots of Vitamin C, too.

Rowan is widely popular in Germany because it grows fast, looks pretty and does not mind exhaust fumes and air pollution that much (that sounds like my country has lots of it... well, we are densely populated with lots of cities), but it is heat sensitive and does not get old.

Serpentia
Wanting to taste some of those berries in jelly now
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Return to “The Ogham Library”