Ogham Studies - Ur (Heather)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Ur (Heather)

Postby Fitheach » 22 Mar 2007, 23:42

:ur:

Ur Heather

The hearty Highland Heather
Spreads her brat of purple glory
She withstands the Scottish weather
And tells her ancient story.

Sprigs of white heather brings us good luck,
Gather pink for a lover’s tryst,
Royal purple lings leave us awestruck,
Heather borders the road to paradise.

Called Fraoch by Scottish warriors keen,
Who plucked the plant from the brae,
And brewed by a good Scots colleen,
Heather ale is still drunk to this day!

(Note:  I'm going to Scotland this summer, and will post a picture of this wonderful plant from the trip!)

In some sets, Ur can also be Mistletoe.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 23:36

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Ur (Heather)

Postby Creirwy » 19 Jun 2008, 15:05

Ur to me is about a wild process.. not necessarily one thats begun (like Beith might signify) but one that you do subconscious.
I think with Heather we think about the finished product, the honey and the fine beer or heather beds making a merry time lol, but theres something deeper that heather starts off, sparking a wildness and how we instinctively do what our bodies and spirits need.

Or perhaps its just those wild heaths in my head lol.

Heather I think is on some of the swords cards in the druidcraft tarot, the chaos that the instinct is seen to be by most, but which is embraced within druidry. A wildness of being is in heather, of total abandonment in a moment.

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Ur (Heather)

Postby Serpentia » 28 Dec 2010, 12:51

Heather, called Erika or Heidekraut (Herb of the Heath) in German, is found mainly in the north of Germany, where whole regions are called after it, most famously the "Lueneburger Heide". If you want to take a veritable bath in heather, here you go:
http://www.reiserat.de/reisen_deutschla ... ger_heide/

The plant also grows massively in our grove in the NL and I love to walk through it... funny, Germans love to put it on graves, too, probably because it is easy to keep and looks pretty. It's supposed to bring good luck, especially the white flowering variety. The red variety is supposed to grow mainly on battlefields of old, where there are cairns and hillgraves. Dreams are supposed to come true if you sleep on white heather and a sprig of heather behind your mirror will keep lightning from striking your house - and keep witches away, but then why would you want to do that?

Witchy greetings,

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Return to “The Ogham Library”