Ogham Studies - Eabhadh (Aspen)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Eabhadh (Aspen)

Postby Fitheach » 13 Apr 2007, 00:14

Aspen Tree
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 13 Apr 2007, 01:06

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Eabhadh (Aspen)

Postby skydove » 02 Aug 2009, 20:59

I've finally found the last wood for my Ogham set, it was aspen and apart from seeing it in a Yorkshire Arboretum Halow Carr I had been unable to find one in England. On a recent holiday to France imagine my surprise and delight when I found one growing in a French wood to the south east of Paris, those elusive round leaves were trembling as its latin name suggests and I was able to remove with permission a short spur growing from the trunk. I know I am not in the 'right' grade for this study yet but I'm so pleased to have already gathered my set over about three years.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Gwernen
OBOD Druid

Postby Gwernen » 03 Aug 2009, 02:28

Aspen is always speaking, clattering, talking, chatting. It grows very fast, and tops the new forest, over looking the rest and keeping guard. It clatters in the night, tells the wind's direction, and does not bend to it in a storm. If you ask Aspen, it will tell you which way 'the wind is blowing', the dominant natural force working over or through all the minor details.

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 11 Nov 2010, 20:26

There is some confusion in the ogham guide as the tulip poplar can also be called aspen, but the aspen is easy to differentiate from the poplar by the shape of the leaf during the growing season. Better knowledge of the bark and where they tend to grow is more needed in the winter.

This time I am trying to write this without having first read the others' posts. Most of the places that I have lived there are some of this type of tree but like the ethnic Irish in central NY state: they are not dominant, but are a well known minority of type of tree. Most trees in NY are oak, maple, apple, silver birch and sycamore. There are some beech, rowan and poplar and aspen. You can find willow, and like everywhere else, they like water. In CNY, the coniferous trees are also commonplace and powerful. Indiana has most of these. There are more thorn trees in Indiana than in NY but far fewer than they have in the South of England.
NW Germany has a lot of native and imported species. The village I live in now has a wide variety of tree species, and very much a mixture of coniferous and deciduous. My ability to describe the different pine trees is rather weak. It is easier to find poplar than this type of aspen in Indiana, but I think it may be easier to find the aspen in this part of Germany.

The symbol in ogham is deceptive in that it is the same as that of the poplar. I do not know why. Perhaps similar medicinal properties? One vertical line with 5 horizontal lines centered in both directions around the vertical line.

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 20 Dec 2010, 13:52

Aspen, lots of Aspen, Aspen all over the place wherever you look in Germany's forests. Talking to a forester the other day I learned that Aspen, while a quick growing tree (the fastest hereabouts) that is quite popular for cheap wood, it is also a killer tree - as in, with its quick growth it overtakes others in the vicinity, stifles their growth and leads to their early death or at least poor development. So forest managers need to watch out, else they will be covered in Aspen and have little valuable and rare trees left.

Serpentia
back on the Ogham track again
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Return to “The Ogham Library”