500 year old oak

Show us your graphic talents, photos or multimedia creations. Expect critiques and suggestions.
celtartgirl
OBOD Bard

500 year old oak

Postby celtartgirl » 17 Jul 2017, 14:38

I had an opportunity to visit a nearby park yesterday with 2 oak trees that are over 500 years old. Now I understand a sacred grove! This hiking trail also had a 'tunnel' made of 150 year old osage orange trees--originally planted as a fence-row.
Attachments
sugarcreek 064.JPG
150 year old Osage Orange hedgerow 'tunnel'
sugarcreek 064.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 612 times
sugarcreek 057.JPG
500+ year old white oak
sugarcreek 057.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 612 times
When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe. ~John Muir

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: 500 year old oak

Postby DaRC » 17 Jul 2017, 21:07

Yes it is always humbling to be around an ancient tree :)

Mind you looking at your pic of the Osage Orange trees it's also nice to be at the beginning too. One of our local landowners planted a few years ago a similar row, but of Alder trees, either side of the public footpath that leads from the small stream (known as a bourne) past his farm.
What makes me Druid happy is he knows the root of our village name which comes from the Anglo-Saxon for the "Bourne by the Alders"
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Erica
OBOD Bard

Postby Erica » 18 Jul 2017, 05:42

These pictures are so beautiful! :boggle: Thank you for sharing them! I'm not sure if it's my shamanistic background or what, but I love tree tunnels. They always make me think of gateways to the Otherworld!

celtartgirl
OBOD Bard

Postby celtartgirl » 18 Jul 2017, 14:53

Yes, DaRC! What a great tribute to the past and an inheritance for the future.

Erica--that is sort of the feeling I had when walking through the tunnel. The picture only shows about 1/3 of the whole, as it turned a corner just past halfway (making the feeling of an otherworldy entrance even stronger).
When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe. ~John Muir

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 18 Jul 2017, 15:59

I had a wonderful experience some years ago while visiting the ancient yews in Kingley Vale.
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Erica
OBOD Bard

Postby Erica » 14 Aug 2017, 19:09

Erica--that is sort of the feeling I had when walking through the tunnel. The picture only shows about 1/3 of the whole, as it turned a corner just past halfway (making the feeling of an otherworldy entrance even stronger).
That must have been amazing! I love liminal spaces like that where your hairs stand up and you can feel the presence of something old and wise.

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 15 Aug 2017, 07:14

Wonderful to visit ancient trees, and also young ones you know will (hopefully) be there when you're long gone. And yes, there's just something powerful about a tree tunnel for me too. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Visual Arts and Multimedia Forum”