The Tiger Queen - WIP

Show us your graphic talents, photos or multimedia creations. Expect critiques and suggestions.
HematiteScales
OBOD Bard

The Tiger Queen - WIP

Postby HematiteScales » 05 Jan 2014, 19:15

I have a depressingly large amount of unfinished paintings laying around for a Bard. This one only goes back almost a year, but I'm going to make it my goal to try to finish it by the end of January before Imbolc.

Wish me luck and please offer advice!

I start a lot of projects, but I frequently find I have an absurd amount of difficulty getting my paintings completed. Generally, I lose interest and get another idea that I think is good enough to carry me through the piece, until the whole thing happens yet again. The only artsy projects I seem able to complete are little, quick things like my signature piece. There's a portrait I started on about 5-6 years ago for my mother of my younger sister and I that desperately needs to get done! Hopefully, the completion of a fun-sy piece for me can get my motivation for painting back.

Here goes nothing! :gulp:
1.png
Underpainting from 2013
1.png (324.79 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
ImageImage

"O, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers’ souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
Keep watching over Durin’s sons."
- "I See Fire" Ed Sheeran

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Re: The Tiger Queen - WIP

Postby Bracken » 05 Jan 2014, 22:45

Hi.
Maybe what you're calling unfinished paintings are actually finished. I suggest you get them all together and curate your own exhibition in your room. Look at them with new eyes. I wonder what they're saying to you.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 06 Jan 2014, 05:56

The tiger is beautiful!
As to advice, all I can say is quit trying. I'm not saying walk away and abandon your art, but don't make work out of it. Inspiration can't be forced.
Examine the reasons why you may be stopping before you finish. Is it the subject? For example, of the portraits of family members, bdo you have ay unresolved feelings towards them? Anything you want to tell them? Does anything make you uncomfortable about them? When you begin the piece, its hard to imagine the work as 'mom', but when it starts taking on details, does it begin to change how you feel towards it?
Another possible option is you're growing, changing, and so is your art. Perhaps the style/materials you're working with are no longer the best way yto express yourself with, but you continue to do so out of familiarity.
I think its great you mentioned the problem; sometimes talking about it can help resolve the issue, as well. For now, though, if all you're creating is quick, simple work, keep up with it. Actually, I've examined your avatar a few times previous to this, and feel its great work. :) No reason to not acknowledge it!

HematiteScales
OBOD Bard

Postby HematiteScales » 13 Jan 2014, 21:29

Thank you both for responding, and I apologize for the late response. My parakeet Wheatley ended up passing away about a week ago, so I've been keeping to myself since.
Hi.
Maybe what you're calling unfinished paintings are actually finished. I suggest you get them all together and curate your own exhibition in your room. Look at them with new eyes. I wonder what they're saying to you.
My style of art is usually detailed realism/impressionism (I know those don't really seem to go together XD), so I know that I wouldn't be happy to have these paintings up on display. Most of them are underpaintings that I just wasn't able to take further like the Tiger Queen WIP you see in my first post. However, I know that looking at them with new eyes could give me the jolt I need to take them up again. Rearranging them and having them up could give me some ideas. Thank you!

The tiger is beautiful!
As to advice, all I can say is quit trying. I'm not saying walk away and abandon your art, but don't make work out of it. Inspiration can't be forced.
Examine the reasons why you may be stopping before you finish. Is it the subject? For example, of the portraits of family members, bdo you have ay unresolved feelings towards them? Anything you want to tell them? Does anything make you uncomfortable about them? When you begin the piece, its hard to imagine the work as 'mom', but when it starts taking on details, does it begin to change how you feel towards it?
Another possible option is you're growing, changing, and so is your art. Perhaps the style/materials you're working with are no longer the best way yto express yourself with, but you continue to do so out of familiarity.
I think its great you mentioned the problem; sometimes talking about it can help resolve the issue, as well. For now, though, if all you're creating is quick, simple work, keep up with it. Actually, I've examined your avatar a few times previous to this, and feel its great work. :) No reason to not acknowledge it!
Thank you very much! I feel like this is something I've really struggled with. I've been raised with the idea that anything I start I should finish, especially when I had once mentioned going to art school and keeping science as my hobby instead of visa versa as it is now. All of my family agreed that any professional artist ought to be able to muscle through creative blocks, and I suppose I still have a bit of that mindset lingering. You really seemed to address my underlying concerns - thank you!

As for my avatar, that's actually a tattoo design I've been working on since high school. It took quite a number of years to get something that I'd be happy to have permanently on my body, and the trick there ended up being to simplify it. I've noticed that my style of painting has gone from obsessive detail to more impressionistic style as well over the years. You could be right about the change!
ImageImage

"O, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers’ souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
Keep watching over Durin’s sons."
- "I See Fire" Ed Sheeran

Return to “Visual Arts and Multimedia Forum”