Zentangle (for people who "can't draw")

Show us your graphic talents, photos or multimedia creations. Expect critiques and suggestions.
butterflymelody

Zentangle (for people who "can't draw")

Postby butterflymelody » 08 Mar 2016, 18:45

I hadn't seen anyone post about this, so I thought I'd share! I had the opportunity to take a free class in what is called zentangle. Apparently it was created by a woman who found that doing repetitive patterns was very relaxing and freeing. It has grown a lot, with people creating new patterns. Basically you are drawing shapes, then dividing that into sections, then drawing patterns in those shapes. It can be a very meditative experience and oftentimes the patterns are very easy to create and only look complicated after you are finished.

You can start out with dividing boxes like this:

And then move on to more advanced things:

When I first saw it, I immediately was reminded of celtic patterns. I've used this to decorate important manuscripts, but these same images can be applied to sewing, painting, etc. It was really only a matter of time before people started combining zentangle with celtic patterns which makes for some really awesome images!

Zentangle is incredibly forgiving. Most patterns are actually very structured and you make boxes first and then add in lines. So if you're not really good at freehand, but you can draw relatively straight rows this might be a kind of artwork that suits you better! Because it also focuses your mind, it'd probably be good for spellwork as well, though I've never tried it for that. It's just very relaxing, and you can come up with some really interesting pieces.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Zentangle (for people who "can't draw")

Postby ShadowCat » 09 Mar 2016, 06:11

It's a technique I used to scribble with in the margins of my notebooks all the way through highschool and university. I just didn't consider it serious "art" so I always discarded it. When a few years back the "zentangle" thingy came out I had to laugh at myself, I could have invented it :grin:

Those are gorgeous images, your own work?
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Re: Zentangle (for people who "can't draw")

Postby Fire oak » 09 Mar 2016, 12:47

I did the same as ShadowCat lol. All my folders and exercise books had the inside of their covers completely covered like this. Beat listening in class anyway :)
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Return to “Visual Arts and Multimedia Forum”