Insula Mona

A place for discussion on topics pertaining to the Isle of Man and its connection with Druidry.
Mannan

Insula Mona

Postby Mannan » 20 Jun 2014, 02:19

The 'other' Mona which still holds an annual festival (Tynwald Day) at Julian midsummer (6th July) where the 'Deemsters' (anciently called Brew/Vriew) proclaim the national laws before the assembled nation. Who thinks this might be a continuity of the original druid theocracy?

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Insula Mona

Postby DaRC » 20 Jun 2014, 12:12

Hmmm I thought this was attested to be part of the Norse culture?
However, I think there is a lot of cultural crossover between the Celtic and Germanic threads.
I don't think there was a Druid theocracy as such but cultural similarities in terms of cyclical events and religious / political structures.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Mannan

Postby Mannan » 26 Jul 2014, 23:37

The culture of the Isle of Man was influenced by Norse settlement between the 9th and 13th centuries, but it was an immigrant culture keen to integrate with the local ways. The proclaiming of laws on hills was a feature of the Gaelic 'Brehon' culture that persisted down into the 16thC, a fact attested by Camden. The Manx language is Irish with a twist, and the cultural/folklore aspects are generally predominantly Gaelic. The contribution of 'Viking' culture is minority, in fact, and the settlers appear to have absorbed local ways rapidly.

Manx folklore is steeped in the 'Otherworld' doctrines of N. European paganism and the people have maintained this into the 20th/21stC. A cursory study of the folklore of Ireland, the Hebrides and Highlands of Scotland from the 16th-19thCs will reveal that beliefs were common across these areas.

Lindaherbalist

Postby Lindaherbalist » 27 Nov 2015, 11:37

Hi
Happy to hear anything at all about the history of Isle of Man. I've recently traced me father's maternal line back to the Isle of Man. Until about a month ago I didn't realise that's where my roots lie.

I am particularly interest in their healing traditions as I am a healer and feel that strongly in my past.

Linda

Return to “Isle of Man”