Gwydion and Taliesin

Discuss Druid Lore and Legends, Celtic mythology, comparative mythology...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Gwydion and Taliesin

Postby Alasdair » 08 Jan 2008, 03:21

Just curious: I was thinking last night of the Welsh 'magician' Gwydion, and how similar he may or may not be to Taliesin. Is it possible that these two characters are one and the same? They share this mystical-poetic quality, and the Cad Goddeu has some interesting material.

I can remember coming across more information, but alas, my memory has gone blank on me :).

Can anyone help me out?
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Gwydion and Taliesin

Postby DJ Droood » 04 Jul 2010, 12:25

Just curious: I was thinking last night of the Welsh 'magician' Gwydion, and how similar he may or may not be to Taliesin. Is it possible that these two characters are one and the same? They share this mystical-poetic quality, and the Cad Goddeu has some interesting material.

I can remember coming across more information, but alas, my memory has gone blank on me :).

Can anyone help me out?
I'm no expert..not even very knowledgeable....but isn't Taliesin considered the poet who invented Gwydion, or at least wrote about him? Perhaps like many artists, he couldn't help injecting himself into his work.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Welsh Mythology

Re: Gwydion and Taliesin

Postby Welsh Mythology » 03 Mar 2013, 02:41

Taliesin and Gwydion both have supermatural powers and are bards. That is the only similarity. They both have very different roles in very different myth cycles. Taliesin is very much an ethical figure, Gwydion is the antithesis of an ethical figure, he is largely amoral. Taliesin succeeds in his role as bard to Elphin, Gwydion fails Lleu. They represent very different archetypes.
Welsh Mythology blog and courses:

http://www.welshmythology.com

. . . and making music:

http://gwilmor.com

Return to “Mythology and Lore”