Egyptian style druidry blog - quick show of hands please

Discuss Druid Lore and Legends, Celtic mythology, comparative mythology...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Egyptian style druidry blog - quick show of hands please

Postby Astrid » 27 Jun 2010, 09:24

Hey everybody :hiya:

I just wanted to know a little somthing from you guys.

See I'm on the bardic course anf my main mythology intrest is ancient egyptian mythology so in my work i do a lot for integrating this into "modern" druidry, making a kind of kemet druidry :D

Then this morning while i was chewing away on my oatmeal I thought hmmm i wonder if anyone else might be able to gain somthing from my process.

So i thought that maybe i could make a blog where i would write about how I intergrate Ancient egyptian mythology and druidry into each other and into my life. As a sort of inspiration for people who have same intrest or maybe want to integrate another mythology/culture into their druidry.

Content could be: writings about the gods and what new roles they can take in our life, alter ideas with an egyptian twist, prayers, season celebration ideas, how to make a feather fan for cleaning and stuff of that nature.

Some stuff would be written and other stuff again would be videos and of course illustrating pictures :)

So are there anyone that might be interested in peaking over my shoulder in this way? :wink:
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Dendrias

Re: Egyptian style druidry blog - quick show of hands please

Postby Dendrias » 27 Jun 2010, 10:04

Blogging is quite fashionable - but a nice thing to do.
To peak over Your shoulder I would like to do, especially because I'm just about to finish a home study course in Egyptian mythology (?) ... no, in web-writing-editing-journalism-thingy. Alas, neither do I take the OBOD course, nor do I know any Egyptian gods or goddesses.
It wouldn't be anything but peaking! But who wants a voyeur? :-)

Lailoken
OBOD Bard

Postby Lailoken » 27 Jun 2010, 16:50

I'd love to follow a blog dedicated to the blending of Druidic and Egyptian spirituality. I've had a fascination with Ancient Egypt since I was a child. My parents bought me countless books on the subject, especially books of Egyptian myth (as well as Roman and Greek). I remember at that young age being jealous of those people because they had lots of gods and goddesses and we only had one (my family is Roman Catholic). I built model Egyptian temples out of clay, attempted to make clay statues and remember one rather large diorama of the Giza plateau for a school project that took up a good portion of the family room, which my parents kept there for years. I could go on, but needless to say, I hope you blog about your experiences and let me know when you do.
Room to grow...
Image Image Image Image Image

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Postby Kernos » 27 Jun 2010, 17:54

Given the the Egyptian deities are among the oldest we know a lot about, I think it would be great. Perhaps you could share some resources with us.

googling define:kemet... Why was Egypt called the Black Land?

:zen:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 27 Jun 2010, 18:00

I'd love to follow a blog dedicated to the blending of Druidic and Egyptian spirituality. I've had a fascination with Ancient Egypt since I was a child. My parents bought me countless books on the subject, especially books of Egyptian myth (as well as Roman and Greek). I remember at that young age being jealous of those people because they had lots of gods and goddesses and we only had one (my family is Roman Catholic). I built model Egyptian temples out of clay, attempted to make clay statues and remember one rather large diorama of the Giza plateau for a school project that took up a good portion of the family room, which my parents kept there for years. I could go on, but needless to say, I hope you blog about your experiences and let me know when you do.
HAHA it sounds like you're descriebing me :D I had a passion for egyptian mythology for as long as i can remember! But it was only when I started druidry that it really started to come alive to me!

Well that settles it... I'll get to work on it straight away :D and give word when I got it running -I already have a working blog so it's more creating the content :o
Given the the Egyptian deities are among the oldest we know a lot about, I think it would be great. Perhaps you could share some resources with us.

googling define:kemet... Why was Egypt called the Black Land?

:zen:
Yes the ancient egyptians called egypt for Kemet meaning as you said the black land - they called it the black land because of the black soil the nile left on the fields after the yearly flood which made it possible to grow food :D
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Elrowiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Elrowiel » 27 Jun 2010, 20:01

Sounds very interesting. :-)
I can't wait to read about it.

Best,
Yvonne
:owlhorn:

Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Postby Eilthireach » 28 Jun 2010, 07:42

Hello Astrid, hello all!

I am a student of the Western Mysteries for some years now and it seems that some of the basic layers of our wonderful and ancient European spiritual traditions have a distinct Egyptian or Graeco-Egyptian flavour to them. It gives me much to think that the Golden Dawn, Crowley and others chose the Egyptian pantheon for their work. I have tried to make contact with some Egyptian deities, but despite the fact that we know much more about them than for example, the Celtic deities, it has proven not an easy task. Part of the difficulty is to keep the 'original' Egyptian deities from their Thelemic forms who are different.
That being said, the glimpses that I was able to catch were impressive, the Egyptian deities are truly awe-inspiring and despite their age still very 'present'. I am also very impressed by the poetry of ancient Egyptian texts, for example the Papyrus of Ani. I am presently trying to put together an invocation of Ra from original texts.

So far I have read only one book that tries to combine modern alternative spirituality with the ancient Egyptian pantheon: Ellen Cannon Reed's 'Circle of Isis: Ancient Egyptian Magic for Modern Witches.' This book was enlightening in some of the technical aspects (names, calendar etc.), but I had wished for a more in-depth description of the deities.

Yes, I would be interested in such a blog and if my little knowledge permits I would be willing to contribute. Please go ahead! :D

Greetings from beneath the Bavarian Alps,

Eilthireach

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 28 Jun 2010, 11:18

Sounds interesting. I will be starting my final year in October via Manchester University where I am studying the online Certificate in Egyptology. However, I tend to keep the 2 (egyptology and druidry) separate. There is a book you can buy on Egyptian Magic.

BB

Shirley
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 28 Jun 2010, 20:02

Hello Astrid, hello all!

I am a student of the Western Mysteries for some years now and it seems that some of the basic layers of our wonderful and ancient European spiritual traditions have a distinct Egyptian or Graeco-Egyptian flavour to them. It gives me much to think that the Golden Dawn, Crowley and others chose the Egyptian pantheon for their work. I have tried to make contact with some Egyptian deities, but despite the fact that we know much more about them than for example, the Celtic deities, it has proven not an easy task. Part of the difficulty is to keep the 'original' Egyptian deities from their Thelemic forms who are different.
That being said, the glimpses that I was able to catch were impressive, the Egyptian deities are truly awe-inspiring and despite their age still very 'present'. I am also very impressed by the poetry of ancient Egyptian texts, for example the Papyrus of Ani. I am presently trying to put together an invocation of Ra from original texts.

So far I have read only one book that tries to combine modern alternative spirituality with the ancient Egyptian pantheon: Ellen Cannon Reed's 'Circle of Isis: Ancient Egyptian Magic for Modern Witches.' This book was enlightening in some of the technical aspects (names, calendar etc.), but I had wished for a more in-depth description of the deities.

Yes, I would be interested in such a blog and if my little knowledge permits I would be willing to contribute. Please go ahead! :D

Greetings from beneath the Bavarian Alps,

Eilthireach
Sounds great Eilthireach! Actually I think it would be great if you would contribute. Not only would it bring a different perspective but it also sounds like you know some stuff i dont know about.

The thing you mention with the invocation of Ra is fantastic project I think. I find that with egyptian mythology there are some things we know and we know them in great detail from original sources and then other things we dont know anything about and we're pretty much left to fill in the blanks.So anyone who kan contribute is welcome to do so! Especially since I'm not an egyptolgist who knows all the good translations and how to get them *smiles ingratiatingly at Shirley*
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 28 Jun 2010, 20:05

oops double post
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 29 Jun 2010, 14:24

I too would be interest in such a Blog; particularly since I learnt about Heqet.

You might want to mention it here too - http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=35735
and suggest it should cover Bards too :whistle:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 30 Jun 2010, 20:00

Hmm, sounds interesting. Go for it.

By chance I picked up a little old book in a junk shop recently. Herodotus. Egypt & Scythia (Ed: Prof Henry Morley. Cassell's National Library 1886) .
Plenty of lore reported by the priests at Thebes and priestesses of Dodona to Herodotus that would be very familiar to Druids.

There are some who would draw a direct line between Scythian Magicians and Celtic Druids!

CFN,

Dathi
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 30 Jun 2010, 20:05

Oh, until now, I've somehow missed the Egyptian part in total. I've read about Scythians and Persians, but Egypt slipped out of my mind.
Is this book of Yours, Dathi, a plain text or a comment on Herodotus. It seems to be a text, doesn't it?

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 30 Jun 2010, 20:26

Funny things happening with this posting.

It is an actual hard copy of the book I have. But you can follow up on some of the links between Scythia and Ireland here: http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924092516297 Irish pedigrees; or, The origin and stem of the Irish nation

Specifically, roots from the Valley of Shinar (documented as Maigh Senaar by the ancient Irish annalists) and that the lingo was the same or similar, the "Bearla Tobbai'' (as per Annals of the Four Masters).

Or here: http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100054/text027.html

And if you really want an unravelling job, try this: http://www.irishoriginsofcivilization.c ... olism.html :roll:

Not that I know much about this.

CFN,

Dathi
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 30 Jun 2010, 21:43

Ta, Dathi. Some of these sources are funny. Very funny.
It's nice to read about the connection between Scythia, Egypt and Ireland by account of a bible-story taken for history. I wouldn't have expected to read this in a druid-forum. But Keating is a child of his time, isn't he? So is O'Hart - I wonder to which biblical (can you say that) person he traces back his family.

But we're here to support Astrid, aren't we?
Astrid, have You found a comfy blog?

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 01 Jul 2010, 08:28

Hmm, sounds interesting. Go for it.

By chance I picked up a little old book in a junk shop recently. Herodotus. Egypt & Scythia (Ed: Prof Henry Morley. Cassell's National Library 1886) .
Plenty of lore reported by the priests at Thebes and priestesses of Dodona to Herodotus that would be very familiar to Druids.

There are some who would draw a direct line between Scythian Magicians and Celtic Druids!

CFN,

Dathi
Herodotus is a good source of information on egyptians as long as you take his numbers with a pinch of salt :D he had an affinity for exagerating :-)
Ta, Dathi. Some of these sources are funny. Very funny.
It's nice to read about the connection between Scythia, Egypt and Ireland by account of a bible-story taken for history. I wouldn't have expected to read this in a druid-forum. But Keating is a child of his time, isn't he? So is O'Hart - I wonder to which biblical (can you say that) person he traces back his family.

But we're here to support Astrid, aren't we?
Astrid, have You found a comfy blog?
Hi hi it isn't a good tread if there isnt at some point somthing slightly off topic :D I've set up the blog and it's ready for go time! I've also written the first article but I would like to make a few more before I make it public :grin:
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 01 Jul 2010, 20:14

Sometimes, You have to take a whole barrel of salt for Herodotus. He's more of a philosopher and storyteller than a historian, sometimes or often.

Then: Go, Astrid, go!

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 27 Jun 2011, 15:02

Wonderful idea, Astrid. go for it. :yay:
Will you accept contributions? :whistle:

:hiya:
You don´t choose your believes, your believes choose you.

Return to “Mythology and Lore”