A Cock's Eye or Sun/Moon Halo

Discuss Druid Lore and Legends, Celtic mythology, comparative mythology...
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DaRC
OBOD Ovate

A Cock's Eye or Sun/Moon Halo

Postby DaRC » 03 Feb 2015, 11:48

Last night was crisp and clear in deepest darkest Sussex and the start of the Full Moon period.
I went to out absorb some of the moon light I noticed a huge halo around the moon. It's been a while since I've seen one and it was a magical sight.
A halo round either the moon or the sun is a visual effect caused by light reflecting of ice crystals high in the sky.

I have found this on the Wiki entry -
In the Anglo-Cornish dialect of English a halo round the sun or the moon is called a cock's eye and is a token of bad weather. The term is related to the Breton word
kog-heol
(sun cock) which has the same meaning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%28op ... nomenon%29

It snowed this morning, just a light dusting but it's still unusual for Sussex and certainly considered bad weather.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: A Cock's Eye or Sun/Moon Halo

Postby ShadowCat » 03 Feb 2015, 17:49

cock's eye
Giggles and bites back really wrong comments :oops:

Anyway, pulling myself together:

In the Netherlands the halo's around sun or moon are also associated with a weatherchange for the worse.
Farmers say:
"Kring om de maan, zal in regen vergaan. Kring om de zon, volle waterton"
which translates roughly to
"Halo around the moon, it will rain soon. Halo around the sun, full rainbarrel" (sorry, no rhyme I could think of).

Despite the bad weather, it's a pretty sight to see....
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

gwendolyng

Postby gwendolyng » 03 Feb 2015, 21:57

I was out last night in Northern US - Michigan and saw the same halo around the moon. Two days previous we had a significant snowfall. The landscape was covered in beautiful white, the sky an amazing deep gray/purple, and that moon! What an amazing sight! My husband and I went for a stroll in the pines and I marveled at the colors of the sky, the moon-near to full-and the freshness of the air. Whatever its meaning, it was a rare sight and a true Imbolc blessing from the Goddess!
Gwendolyng from the North
Gwendolyng
OBOD Druid

The smart ones sit back and let Karma do the work.
Joey Hernandez

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 04 Feb 2015, 01:32

cock's eye
Giggles and bites back really wrong comments :oops:

Anyway, pulling myself together:

In the Netherlands the halo's around sun or moon are also associated with a weatherchange for the worse.
Farmers say:
"Kring om de maan, zal in regen vergaan. Kring om de zon, volle waterton"
which translates roughly to
"Halo around the moon, it will rain soon. Halo around the sun, full rainbarrel" (sorry, no rhyme I could think of).

Despite the bad weather, it's a pretty sight to see....
TeeHee! :) Whenever he saw the ring around the Moon, My Grandfather would look up at her and say; "Don't you play the innocent Angel with me young lady - I know you're up to no good!" :-) Cool guy was grandfather... :grin:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Feb 2015, 01:38

TeeHee! :) Whenever he saw the ring around the Moon, My Grandfather would look up at her and say; "Don't you play the innocent Angel with me young lady - I know you're up to no good!" :-) Cool guy was grandfather... :grin:
:-)

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 04 Feb 2015, 01:40

I didn't have good weather to observe it here unfortunately, but I remember seeing huge one (over three, if not four, moons diameter) few years ago, it was magnificent!
However last or two Full Moons back while doing outdoor ritual I saw/was part of Moon brocken spectre (if that's how it can be called), which although less colourful was equally surprising and amazing to observe.

ShadowCat- and is it really so? I cant remember having bad weather few years back, so can't judge, so does it really work, or is it more of a saying?

Michael C. Page - really cool grandfather.
You gain wisdom by talking with stars,
but to see them you need deep dark.

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 04 Feb 2015, 05:35

My mother has always said: "Look, there's a ring around the moon! Snow is coming!"

I haven't actually thought of checking it out, if it really was snowing immediately after we discovered a ring around the moon, but it is an old weather sign from the farmers, that's for sure. What I DO know is that it doesn't HAVE to be a ring around the moon to snow :D

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 04 Feb 2015, 10:32

ShadowCat- and is it really so? I cant remember having bad weather few years back, so can't judge, so does it really work, or is it more of a saying?
I'm no meteorologist but it seems to me that the ring is formed by light breaking on layers of atmosphere with different temperature and different humidity, which act as a prism. So, if a halo around sun/moon requires certain atmospheric conditions, it's not a far stretch that it is indeed linked to a type of weather or weatherchange. Weather though, is also formed by climate and microclimate, as well as the lay of the land, so the rules (and farmers' wisdom) can change locally. So it would be nice to see if you can find a local farmers almanac or something (online of offline) and see what they say about it around where you live.

And Michael: great granddad indeed :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 04 Feb 2015, 12:59

"Halo around the moon, it will rain soon. Halo around the sun, rain will come full gun" is the best I can think of :grin:
Cool guy was grandfather... :grin:
sounds like a :old: dude
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 04 Feb 2015, 16:35

Hope You don't mind I'm replying to all of You at once, but wow I wasn't aware there were so many sayings about this effect. And as far as I know farmers sayings here most of them are connected with weather on certain days (and animal observations, though I don't remember any rhymes about them), but I'll it up.
That it already nearly became saying that Pole can check the weather forecast twice before leaving home, if it's sunny, and then will take umbrella nevertheless, so I wouldn't be surprised if same was true for folk knowledge ;)

I DO know is that it doesn't HAVE to be a ring around the moon to snow :D
Oh yeah, definitely :D
You gain wisdom by talking with stars,
but to see them you need deep dark.

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 05 Feb 2015, 05:42

I have some more (my parents are farmers). They are not rhymes but they are common sayings for Norwegian farmers:

When the swallows fly low over the fields, it will soon start raining.

The rain travels in white around the hills. (It means you will have to be careful, because it could anytime come down from the hills with a wind, and when that wind comes you have to save your harvest or take in the clothes you are hanging outdoors, or whatever you're doing that doesn't take some rain.)

Mackerel clouds at sunset give you good weather the next day.

I don't remember all of them just right out of my head, but if they come back to me, I'll post them here. As a little girl, I never understood the fuzz about it. Why bother the swallows and so on. It isn't like modern weather forecast anyways, because these signs are only telling about the weather immmediately after they occur to us and how can one plan around them anyways? But my father said to me that a farmer needs them, because you have to get the grass indoors before the rain comes, unless everything is ruined. My mother was piling grass with her family up in the mountains when she was a girl when unexpected rain came, and ruined the whole thing. Granddad was of course very angry about it, and everybody felt very awkward when my uncle tried to comfort his father by saying: "After rain comes shine". I don't think it helped very much on my granddad's mood, but it is a story that is still told about how the results of hard work can be washed out to nothing by a little rain.

Return to “Mythology and Lore”