What kinds of pets do you have?

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.

What kinds of pets do you have?

I have one cat.
13%
I have two or more cats.
21%
I have one dog.
12%
I have two or more dogs.
13%
I have one bird.
2%
I have two or more birds.
3%
I have one ferret.
0%
I have two or more ferrets.
1%
I have one mouse/rat/gerbil/guinea pig/other rodent.
2%
I have two or more mice/rats/gerbils/guinea pigs/other rodents.
4%
I have one rabbit.
2%
I have two or more rabbits.
1%
I have one horse.
1%
I have two or more horses.
2%
I have one fish.
2%
I have two or more fishes.
7%
I have one lizard/snake/turtle/other reptile.
2%
I have two or more lizards/snakes/turtles/other reptiles.
2%
I have one frog/toad/salamander/other amphibian.
0%
I have two or more frogs/toads/salamanders/other amphibians.
1%
I have one spider/insect/hermit crab/other arthropod.
1%
I have two or more spiders/insects/hermit crabs/other arthropods.
1%
I have something Selene didn't think of.
5%

Total votes: 459

Ori Whitedeer

Re: What kinds of pets do you have?

Postby Ori Whitedeer » 16 Oct 2011, 15:00

I live in a small apartment that will not allow most breeds of dogs :(.

But in my pursuit for a pooch, I found my little papillon. It was one of those fate/dog chose the owner things because my mind was in the greyhound and doberman zone, not the small fluffball dog zone. But it turned out my dog was the RIGHT dog for me and from now on I base my companionship decisions based on the personality of the animal, not the type. Although I certainly wouldn't mind a chinchilla...those creatures are cool |-) |
- Ori Whitedeer
Ori's Public Writings

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 08 Nov 2011, 12:06

I currently share space and care with:
16 Highland ponies (stallion, in foal mare, 6 further adults, 2x 4 years old, 3x 3 years old, 3x 2 years old
8 hens (4 hybrids Tallulah Belle, Roxy, Dixie Chick, Scarlett and 4 rescues from BHWT Nora Dora Flora and Thora)
4 cats (2 tortie sisters Amber and Twiglet and 2 of Twiglet's black daughters Velvet and Echo)
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

Karl

Postby Karl » 08 Nov 2011, 14:15

I have a cat, called Cole, okay he's not 'mine' but there is far more connection between he and I than he and anyone else.

I wonder if cat people or dog people prevail in druidry/ism?
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Islamicelt

Postby Islamicelt » 08 Dec 2011, 19:15

I dont have any pets :-( :-( I used to have a beautiful dog (he was a pure breed black lab. Beautiful boy) but he suffered from cancer and we had to let him go. Ever since then, we just havent gotten another pet.
Qur'an 13:2 "And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o’er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!"

http://islamicelt.blogspot.com/

Islamicelt

Postby Islamicelt » 08 Dec 2011, 19:18

Although I certainly wouldn't mind a chinchilla...those creatures are cool |-) |
My uncle had one. I named him Bob when I was like 3 years old. Bob was a pretty cool chinchilla.
Qur'an 13:2 "And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o’er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!"

http://islamicelt.blogspot.com/

carla

Postby carla » 19 Dec 2011, 11:04

We have 2 cats and 1 dog. I'm also planning to have a rabbit and parrot too. Hopefully soon. :)

NovaStar
OBOD Bard

Postby NovaStar » 19 Dec 2011, 13:13

It's a shame we can't vote for multiple options :)

We have 2 beautiful ginger cats (Simba and Gizmo), 3 gorgeous feathered girlies (chickens - Pi, Star and Boo) and 2 corn snakes (Leela and Ellie)
~ Nova

.~*~* You can only fly as high as the dreams you dare to live *~*~.

Pan

Postby Pan » 07 Jan 2012, 11:24

1 goat male
3 cats 2 male 1 female
1 dog male
1 fish ?
1 horse male mustang
1 wife female
all are good and trusting spirits i share my love and life with. :hug:

i don't consider them pets but friends, brothers and sisters of the great mother.
I am a seeker of a path, wouldst thou show me the way.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
I am a seeker of truth, as i listen to what you say.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
I am a seeker of knowledge, teach me right and true.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
Guess i am a seeker, maby just like you.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#

Peace and Blessings > PAN /|\

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 31 Jan 2012, 17:06

We are staff to two cats. It used to be three, but the grande dame had to be euthanized. She was smart, these two, not so much.

We kept rabbits for 14 years. They're essentially herbivorous cats: same attitude, but can just as lovely when you need the support.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

SilverOak

Postby SilverOak » 22 Feb 2012, 18:58

What fun!

Right now we have

1 dog
2 birds
1 frog

Peace!

ElfSeeker

Postby ElfSeeker » 02 Apr 2012, 18:12

I currently live on a Hobby Farm, so we have a lot of animals. Four cats, four dogs, two rabbits, many chickens and roosters, several goats, turkeys, geese, and three ducks. We are planning to get a pig soon.

But only one of these animals is mine personally, and that would be my black cat named Mab after the Faery Queen. Mab is my baby. I found her on a farm I was visiting with my mother. Of all the kittens she was the one who followed me around. So we made a deal with the farmer and said we'd give him two cats for the little black kitten. He accepted! Mab is like a familiar to me...even as I type she's sitting on my lap sleeping. Can you tell I love my kitty? :)

~ ElfSeeker

Equidae

Postby Equidae » 02 Apr 2012, 19:58

I have a mini-menagerie, all from the pound.

I have two dogs and a cat. This first dog is a 3 year old brindle Boxer/Bulldog mix named Georgia. She's pretty energetic, but is also incredibly sweet and goofy. The other is a 7 year old brown Australian Shepherd mix named Gertie. She's the strangest Australian Shepherd I've ever met since her favorite pastimes involve eating and sleeping. I tried to teach her to fetch, and she just kept looking at me like I was insane.

My kitteh is a 1 1/2 year old male seal point Siamese mix named Schrodinger (who ironically enough loves to commandeer boxes to play in.) He acts just like a dog, and he and Georgia are pretty much in love with each other. They no kidding wrestle. It scared me to death the first time I saw it because I thought they were actually fighting, but I figured out that they were just playing because Georgia can chew up a decent sized filled in bone in a week but Schrodinger has never had so much as single bite mark or missing fur.
“So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

BrilliantBotanist

Postby BrilliantBotanist » 09 Apr 2012, 16:02

My family has three dogs, all leonbergers, a German breed. http://imgur.com/a/WDOqk
Penny and Chewie are 1 1/2 years old. Cassie is 11, a stately old lady.

(Forgive me if the formatting on this post is wonky, it's my first post ever)

AFDruidAlex

Postby AFDruidAlex » 14 Apr 2012, 14:15

I have one dog, a beautiful golden retriever. She is more of a best friend than anything. She's always there no matter what, she's always the best companion to go out into the woods with, and another favorite thing I have to throw in here... She has never used the bathroom inside the house (love that)!! She's eight years old and has been my closest friend ever since.
Living for the beauty of all nature, from the greatest tree to the smallest seed.

Rowan Mulberry

Postby Rowan Mulberry » 27 Jul 2012, 06:37

I Have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All of whom are rescues. The oldest cat is a beautiful swirled tiger neutered tom I call Buddy because that's what he is. My Buddy. I rescued him 5 years ago. The younger cat is Simon. He belongs to himself. We humans exist as food purveyors and door openers. Buttons is a sweet, energetic Maltese/Bichon mix. She is a great one for a chat. When anyone comes in the house she has to have long conversation with them. Sadie is a quiet soulful Beagle. I rescued her 3 years ago. Poor girl was covered in mud and manure. She hadn't a collar or micro-chip. The vet said she had been abandoned. I hunt rabbits with her, not to kill, we just give them a good chase. After the chase is over, I thank the rabbit.

They are my fur children. Sadie guards the house and Buttons guards me. My life would be less rich were they not part of it.

Blyth
OBOD Ovate

Postby Blyth » 28 Jul 2012, 15:09

I have really enjoyed reading your posts about the pets you have. Alas, I have only one now - a small white, wire-haired Parson Russell who is nearly 5 years of age. I used to have quite a few pets when I was younger and lived in a more rural location. However, I am blessed with the love and devotion of this little one who always brightens my days.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
— Mahatma Gandhi

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 28 Jul 2012, 16:33

3 dogs: boxer x french bulldog, cocker spaniel, miniature pinscher type mongrel
3 cats (8 if you include the kittens, 9 if you include the tom-cat that comes in, steals food and makes my cat pregnant)
3 goats: a celtiberian and two Spanish mixes
22 chicken
And a forest full of wildlife :)

celestialwizard

Postby celestialwizard » 17 Aug 2012, 14:30

My Wife and I have a fabulous dog named Roxy (Rottweiler-Springer Spaniel cross).

And a witty cat named Cherry who has FIV unfortunately.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 22 Aug 2012, 05:20

I have one dog but my roomie has a gentle pitbull too. This is my dog...apparently she's some kind of Queensland heeler...the people at the shelter called her a "paddle dog" though...which sounds kinda made up. :shrug:

Her name is Una and she's my best friend.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/ ... 429268.jpg

Pan

Postby Pan » 25 Sep 2012, 14:26

well i have 1 goat named bam bam, and 1 mustang horse named rusty. :)
I am a seeker of a path, wouldst thou show me the way.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
I am a seeker of truth, as i listen to what you say.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
I am a seeker of knowledge, teach me right and true.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#
Guess i am a seeker, maby just like you.ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#

Peace and Blessings > PAN /|\

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”