Raven and Crow

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Raven and Crow

Postby treegod » 27 Apr 2012, 11:26

There are "crows/raven" in the valley where I live, but I'm not sure which one it might be, the Carrion crow (Corvus corone) or the Common raven (Corvus corax).

I don't have much of a clue as to size as they are often too far to see (crow is around 1/2 metre, raven is a bit over that), and they're too far away to notice any particular features.

They make a kraa noise, but I don't know how different a raven kraa noise is from a crow one. Anyone know?

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: Raven and Crow

Postby Explorer » 27 Apr 2012, 12:26

There are "crows/raven" in the valley where I live, but I'm not sure which one it might be, the Carrion crow (Corvus corone) or the Common raven (Corvus corax).

I don't have much of a clue as to size as they are often too far to see (crow is around 1/2 metre, raven is a bit over that), and they're too far away to notice any particular features.

They make a kraa noise, but I don't know how different a raven kraa noise is from a crow one. Anyone know?
We have them both here. What you describe sounds like a crow to me.
Raven sounds different, more like "KROK KROK KROK", with a woody edge to it that almost seems to echo. Almost like somebody hits a piece of wood in the sky.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Erithe
OBOD Bard

Postby Erithe » 27 Apr 2012, 14:00

We have them both here. What you describe sounds like a crow to me.
Raven sounds different, more like "KROK KROK KROK", with a woody edge to it that almost seems to echo. Almost like somebody hits a piece of wood in the sky.
That is the best description of a Raven's ... croak ... that I've heard yet. They really do sound like that. We used to have them near the house where I grew up.

"We are happy when for everything inside us there is a corresponding something outside us."
~ William Butler Yeats

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 28 Apr 2012, 07:38

Another name for the raven in Norway is "korp". That is because it sounds like they are saying "korp".

I have also noticed that they usually are a bit more silent than the crows that very often is chatting along while they fly. Ravens often comes in pairs, but not always of course, and their flight are more straightforward than the crow's flight. The crow is more tumbling around in the air, playing, tossing and turning. The crow likes to be in the fields on the country, but not as close to men as the magpie. The raven likes to be in the deep forest or up in the mountains, but sometimes they come closer to us as well. Raven likes to hunt together with the eagle, and they have sometimes power over the big bird as well. If you see an eagle high up in the sky accompanied by two birds, they are ravens. These are my own observations from where I live, and what I have noticed about the birds, and not necessarily correct.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 05 May 2012, 11:08

Thanks for your responses. On Wiki both raven and crow sounds are described as "kraa" but they don't really describe the difference, and this is confused by the fact that ravens apparently have many different noises.

In England I was used to seeing lots of crows mixed in with rooks and jackdaws and no ravens (these latter two I don't see here in Spain) and here there's usually only a pair.

By the noise I'd say crow, by their behaviour... raven? Illion, what you describe could be ravens since we live in a forested mountain valley, they come in a pair, there're eagles resident here. I think I need someone to see and hear them that know the difference to tell me.

It could also be a matter of both seen and heard at diffent times, so the search goes on. :)

Clara Efrona

Postby Clara Efrona » 08 May 2012, 18:16

Let me pull out my handy bird book. Well it's a little different here in the states, but the crow makes a "harsh caw! caw!" sound while the raven makes a "deep echoing croak" as Explorer mentioned.

In addition, ravens are larger at about 25 inches while the crow is about 17 to 19 inches. And if you get close enough you can see that ravens have shaggy throat feathers... very cool.

I love both of these birds, well birds in general actually! There is a pair of crows that frequent our little garden looking for food scraps that we leave out for them. Great scavengers those crows. :crow:
"Do you know what the problem with this world is? Everyone wants a magical solution to their problems, yet everyone refuses to believe in magic." Unknown

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 15 May 2012, 07:21

If you see an eagle high up in the sky accompanied by two birds, they are ravens.
I've often observed crows chasing a buzzard or hawk, even in town. Crows and ravens dislike these predators which are a threat to their young.

I've also seen ravens in cities, but they are nowhere near as common as crows. They live in tight communities and, once they take over a tree, they seem to stay there for generations.

Perhaps you can find records of their cry on the internet? Once you get more familiar with them, you can also distinguish them by their shape. Keep in mind that different communities have different cultures - this is certainly the case for crows and ravens - so there will be regional variations in the way they sound and their behaviour.

I am quite passionate about crows and ravens. I observe crows all day. Ravens are more mysterious to me.

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 15 May 2012, 09:25

When you get your eye in you can tell easily by the shape of the head and beak. The crow has a more rounded head and a beak that comes to a point (but not as pointed as the rook which also has a bald face) whereas the head of a raven is slightly more angular and the beak looks more like a breadknife. I have crows in the back garden that will come very close, to the point of eating out of my hand. They are very intelligent and playful birds and useful for getting rid of roadkill (the main road outside is 60mph and bunnies tend to get squished a lot). Ravens are infrequent around here but rooks, jackdaws, jays and magpies are all very frequent visitors.

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 15 May 2012, 11:09

I am blessed to live in a heavily wooded area full of wildlife. There are many different birds that call it home including nesting pairs of barred owls & redtailed hawks behind the house along with a huge number of songbirds. A bear pulled down my bird feeder last night :-( so it's time for that to come in.... But back to birds :wink:
We also have crows & ravens. I think the most wonderful things about ravens are their voice & the way they fly.
Raven love to swoop & soar & will many times flip over & back again while flying, especially if they are flying along with another raven. They seem to take joy in flying & it's a joy to watch. They have the most wonderful set of calls including clicks & sounds that are like a hollow wooden or metallic sound.
Both are very cool birds indeed!

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”