The Dream of the Toad

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Erithe
OBOD Bard

The Dream of the Toad

Postby Erithe » 20 May 2012, 03:14

I remember hearing this when I was a little girl and we had the windows open in the summer. It's hypnotic and makes it so incredibly easy to fall asleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeO2LfpJVU

from the video description on YouTube:
This video celebrates the long musical trill of the American Toad, which Henry David Thoreau described as the "Dream of the Toad." Trills may last thirty seconds or more. To make their amazing sound, a male first pumps air into his midsection. Then he closes his nostrils and quickly inflates his large vocal sac by contracting his midsection. The trill is produced as powerful muscles in the midsection force air across vocal cords in the throat.

"We are happy when for everything inside us there is a corresponding something outside us."
~ William Butler Yeats

Elhonna
OBOD Bard

Re: The Dream of the Toad

Postby Elhonna » 25 Jul 2012, 19:38

Great "music" indeed ! I'd have never imagined this sound coming from this kind of creature. There's no toad like this here in France, but I remember hearing a lot of frogs in my childhood too.
I saw some of the other videos of the same author, mostly birds : they are amazing ! Such good singers should be listened more often !
Thank you for the link :) .

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”