Saying Good Bye to a Friend

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Saying Good Bye to a Friend

Postby Branflakes » 29 Dec 2012, 03:07

Over the holidays, my parents had to put down a dog they had had for four or five years. It was really sudden, and came about because of an incident we had on Christmas day. The dog, Mogis, had been a stray that wandered onto our property, starved and cold. We gave him food, and he cautiously stepped into our sunroom, thankful for the dog food we presented him with.

He was a good friend, a snuggle monster, if you will. Though he was too big to be a lap dog, he would always try to lay in our laps. He was one of us.

Except, he had a mean streak. You see, my parents have an old dog, about 11 or 12 years old. And she and Mogis never really got along that well. They'd give each other space, but once Mogis pinned her to the ground for no real reason. This happened again on Christmas day, hurting the older dog's ear. After we shortly broke up the fight, Mogis wouldn't stop stalking the other dog.

The vet told my parents this was not a good sign, and his behavior didn't seem to be getting any better. It wasn't until an hour ago when I got the message he had been put to sleep two days ago.

He was a good friend. Cheerful, always glad to see me, always happy to snuggle, always ready to play, always loving.

May your journey lead you to wonders, my friend.

This was the last picture I took of him, the day before he was put to sleep.

http://i.imgur.com/hoM8S.jpg

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Saying Good Bye to a Friend

Postby Aphritha » 29 Dec 2012, 04:01

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is always so hard...he was a beautiful dog. :candle:

Blyth
OBOD Ovate

Postby Blyth » 30 Dec 2012, 19:59

Sorry to hear your sad news, Branflakes. It is always so sad to lose a friend. Sending you hugs and hope your hurt will gradually ease :hug:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
— Mahatma Gandhi

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 31 Dec 2012, 08:06

That's a really tough situation, branflakes. I know of other predicaments where a dog had to be put down due to unpredictable aggressive behavior. It's got to hurt so much because Mogis was a totally different dog with you. I'm sad for you. Thanks for posting his picture. He looks like a sweetheart.

:candle:
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 31 Dec 2012, 17:25

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It's been hard on my family, but most of all on my parents. We're coping as best we can.

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”