Weird sound that a frog can make

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
IrisWoods
OBOD Bard

Weird sound that a frog can make

Postby IrisWoods » 05 Jan 2013, 03:58

Hi. Something strange happened a few years ago, when I moved to a rural area and was telling my nephew how much I loved frogs. My nephew took it upon himself to catch a large one in a net to show me, and foolishly I did not stop him. The frog (I think it was a bull frog) got it's toe caught in the net, and it let out the most extraordinary wail--just like a large wounded mammal or person--not at all like a frog. It was a very loud, resonant, rich, sustained cry, and I immediately felt dreadful that I had not stopped my nephew from bothering the poor creature. It sounded for all the world like there was a person or big cat inside that frog. I can see how the frog-to-prince fairy tale might have gotten started. Ever since then, when I see a large frog, I cannot help but think that there must be another creature or person inside of it.

paikea
OBOD Bard

Re: Weird sound that a frog can make

Postby paikea » 05 Jan 2013, 10:27

gosh yes, its terrifying! one of our cats chased a frog into our bedroom once I had never heard anything like it!

J1Star
OBOD Bard

Postby J1Star » 14 Nov 2013, 18:02

You may already know this, but I will share it with you anyway;
Most impressions people have of the sound that frogs and toads make is slightly misguided due to the fact that a particular species native to Hollywood makes a 'ribbit' sound and because most people learned about the noise a frog/ toad makes from tv/ films ('back in the day') that is where footage of frogs was mostly recorded. :)

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Nov 2013, 09:40

I think this is the most terrifieing frog sound ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBkWhkAZ9ds

Al jokes aside: many animals are able to make quite frightenings humanlike sounds. I once owned a traumatised bunny that would scream like a child on fire when you would try to pet it. I think a better way of saying it though would be that the sounds of any animal in distress, human animals included, are so universal that they alarm all animals, not just the species they belong to.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”