Surprise!

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Surprise!

Postby Aphritha » 04 Feb 2013, 19:21

My rabbit just had babies. I wasn't aware she was pregnant. She didn't even nest! The only thing differet was our other(the father) rabbit began getting extremely agitated. It was when I went over to see what all the ruckus was about I saw the babies. I took him out of the cage and put him in another room(he's housebroken) and left her and her babies in. I put in a box for her to use if she choses. What else should/could I be doing? Is it alright to change the cage bedding?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Surprise!

Postby ShadowCat » 05 Feb 2013, 11:03

The houserabbit society offers a lot of information:
http://www.rabbit.org/

You might also want to check in with your vet for info and maybe a little kit with some extra powdered milk etc.

If the litter is really soiled, you should change it, but most of the time mom will eat any babydroppings and keeps the nest clean herself. Then it's best to disturb her as little as possible. If she didn't nest make sure she does take care of the babies and she does lactate enough. Since it's the first nest I take it that both mom and dad are young bunbuns, so she might not be fully adult herself and not know how to take care of them properly. Always pet mom before you handle the babies so your hands smell like her before you touch them. Strange scents and to much distubances around the cage might cause her to neglect or even hurt/bite them. Weighing the babies every day on a letterscale might give you an idea of how well they feed. Mom needs all the food she wants! Keep dad away for a few weeks (also, probably best to take him to the vet for a snip right away, since rabbits do breed like, well, rabbits. Otherwise you'll have a second nest only a few months from now. The babies will be able to procreate also at only a few months of age, so make sure to seperate mom/daughters and sons timely.

Good luck with your babybuns, we might want to see some pics :D
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 05 Feb 2013, 11:35

And don't beat yourself up if you lose them, my Dad used to breed rabbits for the pet trade and was very expert at managing them, but even then a few of the first litters would be killed by their mums occasionally. Its natures way unfortunately, if she is stressed then she may kill some or all of them, and since domestic rabbits are often inbred and a bit mad this happens more often than you might think.

Thats said, you'll probably be fine, but if things go wrong, don't blame yourself.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Feb 2013, 16:55

So far, so good! I think I will change the bedding, then, if its alright. It was due for a change, but I hadn't realized I had an event like that to beat...
Mom's an older bunny, surprisingly. She's about 4, and I recieved her from a woman who said her kids wouldn't take care of her anymore. Dad is between 2-3, and is being VERY protective. We have cats, and he's been attacking them when they get too close to the cage. They'r starting to learn...I don't believe either have been parents before.
Thanks for the advice! hopefully we don't lose any babies. They all seem to be alright...more active than I thought they would be.

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 10 Feb 2013, 18:20

I do belivie Shadow cat is right - Pictures or it didn't happen :D Or at least an update it is so lovly to hear about new life like that!
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 10 Feb 2013, 18:40

Update isn't so good...we did lose them all. :( Found the first three dead overnight, and sent the last away to be cared for by a professional, but he didn't make it through the night. Mother rabbit was very distressed(with good reason), but she seems to be doing better now. The person who took the last rabbit mentioned it looked a bit premature. Could have been why Mother never nested.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 11 Feb 2013, 08:39

That's sad...
Hugs for you... don't blame yourself, it's the way of things. Pamper mom a bit (and watch her for signes of mastitis, since she won't be suckling any babies, her milkducts could get inflamed) extra and make things around as normal as possible for her.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 11 Feb 2013, 08:47

All seems to be well with mother bunny. She doesn't seem to have any health issues, and is back to herself. We've let her out to run the house a bit, which she's grown to enjoy...I just wish she'd quit pooping in front of the fountain! I just hope we're all better prepared next time.

britnilinda

Postby britnilinda » 30 Jun 2013, 17:26

Thanks for sharing and plugging it here. I know I really enjoyed this piece and I’m certain others will as well. Keep up the great work. :D
CMS Consulting open text Ours is best bookmarking site highprsocialbookmark.com save your link

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”