Adopting a Jack Russell? Maybe.

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Re: Adopting a Jack Russell? Maybe.

Postby Sciethe » 16 Sep 2013, 17:49

Hi Nollaig,
yes, my son has one, and my grandmother had two which I knew well. Very active beasts, best worked hard. One of the breeds which feels that it needs a purpose in life. My son's is a forester's dog so goes to the woods with him each day and is properly disciplined. Result- happy dog. My grandmother's animals were under exercised, overly house-bound and very neurotic. They put their energies into trying to rule the house, very disruptive. They are intelligent as a breed and need plenty of challenges.
DSCF2600.JPG
DSCF2600.JPG (57.58 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
Last week: "Go to the tractor, Riley"... stayed there watching until the chainsaws were switched off. Only 2 years old. :)
Hope that helps!
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 16 Sep 2013, 18:07

And for real dog-lovers...
Riley at work cr.jpg
Riley at work cr.jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
:grin: S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

WhiteCrow
OBOD Bard

Postby WhiteCrow » 16 Sep 2013, 22:50

They're working dogs. Every single one of them that I have come across ( and that's a lot ) has either been a hard working happy dog or a deeply unhappy bundle of endless destructive energy. Not for the faint hearted but a cracking little dog in the right environment :)

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Sep 2013, 00:38

My friend's Jack Russel Terrorists are like four-legged land sharks...they will eat everything and anything that even remotely resembles food that they find anywhere, at any time...they seem to require constant monitoring and attention, and my well behaved shar pei and I are usually relieved when they leave...but maybe this is more about the owner than the dog, as is often the case....
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 17 Sep 2013, 07:25

Big working dogs in tiny packages, that's what they are.

If you're looking for a small dog because it has to stay indoor a lot of time, might be alone for longer periods of time and has to be "quit and welbehaved" it's not the breed for you. But if you take this pintsized powerhouse for what it is: a real, high energy, working/hunting dog, and give it both the training and exercise it needs, they are great fun: very smart and generally goodnatured.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 17 Sep 2013, 11:56

like wot Shadowcat sez :grin:
they are very smart, dominant and have an oversized adrenal gland - which makes them great at chasing Foxes from burrows and killing rats. They are very loyal but don't share well.
In a domestic household with a weak owner they can be a nightmare.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 17 Sep 2013, 18:23

I have owned,worked and breed loads.You must understand they have hunting instincts,they may vary from dog to dog. What is the dogs background? If it has strong hunting instincts and is not allowed to pursue them in one shape or form,them undesirable habits may appear ie snappy with people(kids),chasing cats etc. The classic 'old lady' syndrome,who has a nasty Jack russell( I was a postman).
Russels are probably the most intelligent of the terrier breeds(in my opinion far cleverer than the Collie,as they can think for themselves).Terriers want to be top dog,thats why they have such strong characters,the humans must be top dog or you will not have a happy partnership.
As with rehoming any dog try and find out as much of its background,and never take the word of the rehomer or the so called qualified experts at the dog home.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 17 Sep 2013, 18:27

Well spoken samurai :tiphat:
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 18 Sep 2013, 08:22

Best wishes than that it will work out.

Looking forward to the pictures in "pet pictures" :D
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 19 Sep 2013, 11:18

Jack Russells are good camping dogs, but they don't walk too far in one go. I used to go backpacking with my Trixie but days had to be limited to 12-15 miles max whereas my border collie Shep could easily do 25-30 miles in a stint. However, they don't take as much tent space as a collie and make good footwarmers if you get an overlong sleeping bag.

If you have access to rats or rabbits then a Jack Russell will be happy.

solinari
OBOD Bard

Postby solinari » 21 Sep 2013, 16:27

My nan had a Jack Russell bitch and was afraid that when i was born she would turn on me but that could not be the furthest from the truth. The dog followed me everywhere, protecting me from everyone and everything, she may have been small but she had a bark! And for this reason I love Jacks with all my heart. They need attention, they need purpose as previously mentioned, they need space! They can not be allowed to get bored they will destroy, dig, hunt rodents and cause mayhem. its what they were bred for. They are yappy but don't forget they are terriers! They are a loyal dog. Oh and every so cute.. :cloud9:
2008 LI
a voice inside another song...

My Myspace
My Deviant Art page

solinari
OBOD Bard

Postby solinari » 21 Sep 2013, 16:29

And for real dog-lovers...
Riley at work cr.jpg

what a sweetie!! Long legs for a Jack though!
2008 LI
a voice inside another song...

My Myspace
My Deviant Art page

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 21 Sep 2013, 21:18

And for real dog-lovers

what a sweetie!! Long legs for a Jack though!
He's a Benson Jack Russell, closest to the original, hence the long legs. He has the beard too, which gets trimmed. Bless.
S

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 22 Sep 2013, 17:13

Hiya,
Another Jack Russell fan here. Owner of a pint-sized bundle of fun, energy and affection. Gets on well with just about anyone and any other dog. But with a fiercely protective attitude in relation to "badness". Situational awareness to a "threat" is acute. We live in a rural environment and local farmers take a lethal approach to dogs hassling livestock. So Daisy has had to learn some stern lessons about the "rules". A very strict imposition of rules as a puppy has been the key. A neighbour has a Neapolitan Mastiff and some kind of Akita hound, each of which could have disposed of Daisy in one gulp. It took her some time to learn not to pick a scrap with them. Fortunately these two huge hounds just treated with an appropriate amount of amused contempt.

Our mutt is a perfect Druid Dog, ALWAYS up for an adventure, great on hikes and climbs, well behaved in public / crowds, and a good explorer. Responds immediately to "Heel" and is thankfully not a yapper.

But this a dog owned from puppyhood. A six year old dog may have all sorts of baggage which must be explored. And I'd say that a period of reorientation training will be needed. The dog MUST learn who is unarguably the BOSS.

Have fun if you do go ahead.

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 23 Sep 2013, 07:54

She looks very content... :cloud9:

Thank you for letting us know how it went and I'm happy that she has found a new home.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”