Look what I found...

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Look what I found...

Postby ShadowCat » 04 Apr 2014, 07:45

Driving the road between my town and the next, look what I found sitting in the middle of the road. Probably discarded so that folks can get their kids a new, cuter, easterbunny. I took her to the vet, who gave her a clean bill of health and now she moved in with us. We named her Freya.

Even my vet commented grinning on how some folks always find odd things (almost all my pets have wound up with me by me picking them off the streets)...

I don't get it, why do people teach their kids that animals kan be tossed out like that?
image-5.jpeg
image-5.jpeg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
image-4.jpeg
carrot looks odd because of sepia filter... it was perfectly fresh though ;)
image-4.jpeg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Look what I found...

Postby xidia » 04 Apr 2014, 08:38

Oh, isn't she cute?!

I'm leaving the incipient rant about discarding animals out. :x

Alwin
OBOD Druid

Postby Alwin » 04 Apr 2014, 09:14

Are you sure you did not drive through someone's backyard accidentally and pick up their pets? :grin:
No, it's really sad to see how some people treat their pets! :???: I'm sure, she is better off now!

*lol* Filters: the quickest way to rotten vegetables! :wink:
2013 SB I • 2013 SB II • 2014 IL I • 2014 IL II • 2014 BS • 2015 BS I • 2015 BS II • 2015 SB • 2016 SB • 2017 BS
--
www.Lichtspur.ch
www.artflakes.com/de/shop/lichtspur

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 04 Apr 2014, 12:03

I do drive an SUV but I'm quite sure I don't drive in peoples yards... I think... :grin:

Of course, I had her checked to see of she was chipped. The vet did't recognise her either and there aren't any houses around where I found her.

We live on the main road between a larger city and the highway. So, come holidays, our little town is about the ideal halfwaypoint with enough forest and nature for people to drop their animals out of the car.

But on the bright side: I'm very happy with her added to my household of cats, chickens and bunbuns. She's very sweet and tame, loves being stroked. I hope to make her friends with my other rabbit (in time).
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Apr 2014, 00:10

She's adorable! I'm sad she was let go, but I'm happy it worked out better for both of you!

TristessaKC

Postby TristessaKC » 05 Apr 2014, 02:31

She's adorable! All of my pets have been rescues....much to my parents dismay :roll:

I've worked at vet's offices and shelters and it's really disheartening to see how people treat animals. Holidays were always the worst. Oo, it's easter! Let's get junior a bunny he doesn't want! Or lets get a puppy for Christmas/birthday/whatever the occasion might be. I can't fathom spending almost a thousand dollars for a purebred dog or cat only to give it up a week later. I would drive hundreds of miles to rescues willing to take these poor beings so they wouldn't have to sit in cage for the mandatory three day hold to be killed alone and sad. Some of the workers at the shelters are no better. I don't know whether they've been there so long that their hearts have just turned to stone or they just don't care, but yeah. Very very bad.

I'm so glad you two found each other though. Here's to a long happy life! :yay:
Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 05 Apr 2014, 04:05

So glad she was picked up by someone who was willing to give her care and love. My pets (cats) are rescues I picked up off the street -- who now sleep cuddled in bed with us at night! Nice to read a happy ending!
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 05 Apr 2014, 07:51

As far as I know, 99% of animal shelters in the Netherlands are "no kill" shelters. They are often run by either caring volunteers or the dutch animal protection organisation. So we are doing well in that respect and I'm very glad about that.

I've found that a little TLC can turn any animal in a wonderful companion. From the stray kitten that was only 5 weeks old when she was found without a mom or siblings (I bottlefed her, and she was never fully educated by her catmom so she's a bit odd) to the wild stray young cat I took in and the local vet warned me about, because she was of ferral decent. They both sleep together now, in my bed, completely relaxed, happy and tame. Well, even my stray-chickens are tame and great fun now, following me around the garden "helping" whereever I'm busy.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”