A meeting with Elen?

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Greytrack
OBOD Bard

A meeting with Elen?

Postby Greytrack » 18 Mar 2015, 14:27

Just had the most beautiful walk in some woods up here. The weather is glorious and I had the place pretty much to myself. I heard woodpeckers and a sparrowhawk as I walked along and I was just really zoning out I suppose when I happened to look towards a group of silver birch that were just above me (the path is slightly sunken). And there, no more than a 100 yards away, were two deer. One doe and one buck. I just stopped and stared and the doe just stared back (at this point, it's safe to say I probably looked like a stranded goldfish - mouth open). She on the other hand, was all grace and beauty. It was the most totally awesome, magical thing that has happened to me in a long time. As I had been walking I had been doing to some serious thinking and had put a question out - the two deer were an answer I felt.

Really made my day and just wanted to share with folk who would get it! :D
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: A meeting with Elen?

Postby treegod » 18 Mar 2015, 17:41

Great stuff! It's wonderful when nature gives little gifts like that. :)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 18 Mar 2015, 19:32

How lovely. Elen was something unknown to me until recently, last year in fact, I went on the Druid Shaman retreat run by Gillian Kavanagh an OBOD member. We talked about the indiginous Goddess a fair bit during the retreat and it opened up my eyes to the reemergence of Elen energy as this antlered Goddess of the wild wood. She has, of course, been with us the whole time. Since then I've had several Elen of the ways experiences and hope to go to the 'Immerse in Elen' retreat next year. Has anyone got any reviews for this?

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 19 Mar 2015, 13:35

Hmm interesting - the dream of Macsen Wledig is well known to me but I'd not really thought of Elen before
http://www.traditionalharp.co.uk/Caer_F ... s/Elen.htm

Edit - and interesting that Elen could mean Reindeer in Bulgarian (providing the deer goddess link) and ties into the Romano-British / Arthurian roots as the Sarmatian (think early Bulgarians) cavalry assigned to Roman-Britain have many legends that link to the Arthurian ones (sword in the stone, dragons, the whole cavalry/knight thing)
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”