Dealing with Rats???

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
kresta
OBOD Bard

Dealing with Rats???

Postby kresta » 24 Mar 2015, 14:11

So yeah, I've had "visitors". I found two rats in the kitchen and they left droppings everywhere! :duck:

I've had to put traps to get rid of them quickly but I feel very guilty because they really suffered before dying and I'm wondering whether there are ways to deter them from entering at all? or...a more 'humane' ways to get rid of them somehow... thanks
Alice
Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see,
one chants out between two worlds - "Fire, walk with me".

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Re: Dealing with Rats???

Postby samurai » 24 Mar 2015, 15:48

Sadly rats, are pest number one, they cover the 3 "d". Damage, disease and distress. If you don't want the mess, on a trap try a cage trap, and release elsewhere (illegal to re-release). Or use Fenn traps they are instant killers, position them in tunnels on the runs in the garden. Rats generally don't live in . They travel in for food and warmth, they also don't like disturbance. Hence they don't live in. I hope that helps.

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 25 Mar 2015, 02:09

Cheers, I'll see what i can do....

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 25 Mar 2015, 07:01

A few days ago I spotted a few rats in the garden, near to the house. When you see them out in the daylight, there are a lot more of them hidden somewhere near. Some rodents are inevitable, living in the countryside and having animals ourselves. I'm not scared of them, and actually think rats are cute and intelligent critters, but not when they come in abundance.

But when they get too many (often after a few soft winters like we had now) and they don't react to the usual precautions (stop feeding the wild birds/cleaning up/working energetically to restore balance/cleaning up nestingplaces like firewoodstacks) I harden my heart and either kill-trap or shoot them. I have a .22 CO2-powered rifle (about the most powerful that's legal without a lot of paperwork hereabouts) and am quite a good shot, so when I have time I put down some grain, wait a few meters back quietly and take them out with a single shot to the head. They rarely know what hits them. Also with traps: check them often, taking a big hammer to put any still alive rats out of their missery.

It breaks my heart to see a smaller babyrat running up to dead mom or dad to see what's going on. It happens. It reminds you how very sentient they are. It also reminds you that all life lives due to the taking of other lives, and that we are all vying for space and resources in this world. Many rats also means many birds of prey growing up, meaning less rats in the end. The shot and/or trapped rats I leave out, and the crows are never far away, enjoying this offering. It's part of connection, but that doesn't mean I enjoy killing anything.

Notes:

Trapping and releasing them is essentially transfering the problem to other people and farms around here so that's not a valid option or true sollution to the problem unless you have vast acres of untamed nature where they can be put out.

I never ever use poison due to the danger that poses to foxes, pets and raptors.

Most online recommended "deterrents" like mint, cinnamon etcetc don't work in my experience. If you can get your hands on it, snakepoo does work. But I wouldn't use it in the home anymore than I'd want ratpoo in my home. But to line perimeters, it can and will work. Or get a good cat or a strong small terriers, they are great ratters.

There was a nice story about rats and balance in an Eisteddfod a while back: read it if you have the time. It's here: viewtopic.php?f=116&t=41604&p=437508&hilit=rats#p437508
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Gwion

Postby Gwion » 25 Mar 2015, 10:52

When I was younger we lived in a farmhouse which had a shippon (cow-shed) attached on either side with hay lofts above these, which allowed the rats to run across into the house loft space – we had quite a through traffic problem for a while. We solved it by giving the cats access to the loft space (via a plank up through a hole.) Once the cats could get up there regularly the rats decided to stick to the outer farm building (it’s too much to expect to get rid of them altogether.) My suggestion is to get a cat. I think just the presence of a cat would help but, to be sure, I’d say you should make sure it’s a hunter and big enough :lion: to take on adult rats.
"Had I lived I might have been clever" - from the traditional ballad "The Bonny Bunch of Roses"
Some songs https://soundcloud.com/gwionssongs https://soundcloud.com/sthomason-1
Some Pictures http://gwion01.deviantart.com/

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 25 Mar 2015, 22:17

Yes, cats do indeed do their work. We've had rats in the gaps in the ceiings, but once we gots the cats, the noises disappeared. Recently I left a door open so they could enter a room behind the larder, and that seemed to work. Other than that, we have traps too, not sure how quick they are, but I never found one alive.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 26 Mar 2015, 13:54

Yes, cats do indeed do their work.
When they're young(ish) - our old cat failed to notice we had a rat hiding in the kitchen.
Terrier dogs also make good ratters - Jack Russel's were bred for it (hence their over-sized adrenal gland) - when trained. My friend had 2 Patterdale terriers that worked as a pair in their barns.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 26 Mar 2015, 14:22

I had a Valencian ratter x (not sure of actual name), sort of miniature pinscherish with white. She did a good job of hunting. We have four cats and they're more of a deterrent, though they do catch baby ones occasionally.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 26 Mar 2015, 19:00

There are several legendary accounts of Ollamhs (bardic sorcerers) reciting satires that dropped both mice and rats dead in their tracks. The most well known is probably ‘Seanchan the Bard’ related in Lady Francesca Wilde’s Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland:

“Now there was a young serving-girl there, and she said to Seanchan, “There is a hen’s egg in the place, my lord, may I bring it to thee, oh, Chief Bard?”

“It will suffice,” said Seanchan; “bring it that I may eat.” But when she went to look for it, behold the egg was gone. “Thou hast eaten it,” said the bard, in wrath. “Not so, my lord,” she answered; “but the mice, the nimble race, have carried it away.”

“Then I will satirise them in a poem,” said Seanchan; and forthwith he chanted so bitter a satire against them that ten mice fell dead at once in his presence. ”

Additionally, in 1853, Dr Todd, a learnéd scholar, presented an essay on this subject, “Rhyming Rats To Death” to The Royal Irish Academy. You can download it here, for free, from JSTOR:

https://ia601605.us.archive.org/19/item ... 489774.pdf

Fascinating, and clearly a new approach to try for our besieged sister.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 27 Mar 2015, 02:38

Thanks everyone for the advice. As much as I'd love to have a pet I can't keep them :(

Also, I live in a highly urbanised and awfully DIRTY urban environment - people here have no idea when it comes to health and safety or hygiene, so I don't think that I'll eve get rid of them fully, the environment is way too favourable... I've been told that there have been problems with rats before here, so frankly I'll just keep everything shut and traps out...

But this made my day - I'll suggest it to my flatmate :grin: :
There are several legendary accounts of Ollamhs (bardic sorcerers) reciting satires that dropped both mice and rats dead in their tracks.

Additionally, in 1853, Dr Todd, a learnéd scholar, presented an essay on this subject, “Rhyming Rats To Death” to The Royal Irish Academy.

Also, ShadowCat, remind me to never, ever , cross you....
I have a .22 CO2-powered rifle and am quite a good shot, so when I have time I put down some grain, wait a few meters back quietly and take them out with a single shot to the head. They rarely know what hits them. Also with traps: check them often, taking a big hammer to put any still alive rats out of their misery.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 27 Mar 2015, 08:24

Also, ShadowCat, remind me to never, ever , cross you....
Will do :wink:

Rats in an urban environment are hard to keep out. Best bet is to keep everything absolutely spotless so they go visit the neighbours in stead. Keep every crumble of food in gnaw-proof containers or cabinets.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”